[Vent] Thoughts About Where We Are As a Community and What We Do

WendytheCreeper

(>☉ ͡ヮ☉<)
Defender of Defoko
You know, it's quite amazing how as a community we have come so far with UTAU. Often I look to the great things that we have done to advance our software further, with efforts to create great-sounding voicebanks that simply make one go "wow" when they hear them. Indeed, we keep pushing forward with making multipitches, better English, writing and rewriting reclists...the list goes on and on. It's really amazing and yet...

I feel kinda bitter about it.

We spend so long being ambitious about making the best bank, arguing over microphones, trying to figure out which way is the best to oto, who the best oto'er is, trying to be that best oto'er, blah blah blah...but even with the wonderful banks that come out of this process of trying to push voicebank dev further and further, what usually comes of them?

Most voicebanks only are used for covering songs and making memes, it seems.

I think a lot of UTAU users dream of having someone use their voicebanks for something. Many dream that their voicebank will eventually be really well known, and that lots of people use them for things, especially what many consider the highest honor: a song of their own, an UTAU original.

The reality is, though, pretty much nobody ever gets that highest honor. In fact, it's kinda strange that it is considered like a highest honor because many vocalsynths get their own song, even if it's just one and even if it's terrible. Now granted, there are simply too many voicebanks out there for every single one to get their own song but...you'd expect, with so many voices out there, that maybe people would take fancy to some of them and write music for them?

My point is, there are a lot of people doing good things with voicebanks, and yet we are probably seen as less still because all we ever do with these great voicebanks is cover songs with them.

The thing is, these voices deserve more.

These voices should be able to have at least one song to call their own. These voices should be able to stand among Vocaloids and their other vocalsynth cousins to be considered a choice among producers. After all, what's the point of advancing so much when people never make anything more out of it? For example, when VCCV English becomes public, I have a feeling many people will make those banks, but never use them for more than covering the latest hit song on the radio. That would be so unfortunate, with such a great thing to come into our hands.

And as I was talking to a friend, Lofe, they pointed out something fairly ironic: don't many people wish they could be a producer? Or at least, make their own original song.

And as much as people say that, they let so any things stop them and give so many excuses to why they can't do it: "I need to buy FL Studio first!" "I need to learn Japanese!" "I need this!" "I need that!"

Do you really need those things to make your first song though? You can find free DAWs on the Internet, those that are legal too! You can use an English bank, do Engrish, or find a friend who knows Japanese to write lyrics for you! And so on, and so on. There are many resources out there to help you get started, and honestly? It doesn't have to be perfect. You do not have to make your first song your magnum opus. Hell, it can be your parvum opus for all I care. My point is: write the damn thing already!

Now I realize, not everyone wants to write a song, and that is completely okay. After all, not everyone wants to be a producer. What I am saying here though, is for the people who keep saying "I want to write a song!" but keep on putting it off or succumbing to the fear of not making something amazing.

Strange little rant but...I feel like it's something I want to say.