UTAU note help

Yue Koromo (挙母越)

Teto's Territory
Hey guys!

So I am finishing up my CV UTAU, and I have ran into a problem.
There are some of my notes, ku for example, that sound absolutely horrible when played in UTAU.
I have recorded ku and these other notes probably 3-4 times now, and no matter how I edit them, how long the note is held, or anything, they always sound extremely distorted. You can hear it in the sound file I'm gonna attach here. It also just sounds like things are cut off.
I am using the generated OREMO oto file, cause I can't oto like at all.
I fixed the problem in some notes like o, but for other notes, it just wont go away.
What am I doing wrong?
What should I do?
Should I trust the auto oto?

Here is the sample in where you can hear the off notes, you can also hear if a note is held for a while it glitches-

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Part of what's making the "ku" sound distinct (and many other "u" samples) is your vocal tone. You may want to focus on your singing technique to make it more consistent with the rest of the bank. You might even want to sing it in context when recording and then cut off the excess through the oto.

And speaking of the OTO, never use a generator for CV. It's truly awful and does you more harm than good. OTO generation works much better for things like VCV, which are recorded with a consistent rhythm. You might want to consult this guide to start remaking the OTO from scratch.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bGTPaF5tqZAQh-5eee9r8FZnY4t9bNWEIBCIlZE5KzI/edit?usp=sharing

Other people may be able to give you advice on refining the OTO. (In all honesty, CV is the easiest style to begin with, but the hardest to master. Don't get too frustrated if it doesn't turn out perfect.) Good luck!

Reactions: Nohkara

Nat

(๑•﹏•)
Defender of Defoko
remember when you rerecord a syllable to regenerate the frq (Tools> Voicebank Settings> click on the syllable> initialize freq map)
it might also be the quality of the that syllable (like the background noise of it then the other ones) and/or the tone you recorded it in.

Reactions: Nohkara

Yue Koromo (挙母越)

Teto's Territory
Okay guys, thanks for you help. I'll start again tomorrow or as soon as I brush up with some things.

Edit-
Is there like anything that could help keeping my tone consistent? Even without using the pitch thing on OREMO, it just doesn't help, as I was using the guide already. My singing voice isn't that great and it kinda makes me think I shouldn't do UTAU, but I wanna try.
Is there a way I could like...filter my voice and record the notes? Idk what I'm trying to say but you guys get the point right?

Last edited:

elizaditton

Teto's Territory
Is there like anything that could help keeping my tone consistent? Even without using the pitch thing on OREMO, it just doesn't help, as I was using the guide already. My singing voice isn't that great and it kinda makes me think I shouldn't do UTAU, but I wanna try.
Is there a way I could like...filter my voice and record the notes? Idk what I'm trying to say but you guys get the point right?

Well, you could try vocal warm-ups or just using your voice for a bit before recording (like reading things aloud, singing, talking, etc). Also, don't forget to breathe through your diaphragm. This is important for doing any type of vocal work.
There's a brief guide for breathing through your diaphragm on this webpage. You don't have to focus on the exercises or anything, just the breathing technique.

Another thing- try recording strings. I know, I know, some people are going to hate me for saying this and the whole reason OREMO was invented in the first place was to avoid things like this, but if you record "sections" of your reclist in Audacity and then split them up when you're done, you might be able to keep the recording quality constant. (You should still have a pitch and a tempo guide going, though. Constant pitch is important for recording an UTAU and a tempo guide is overall just really helpful.) For example, a section could be "a...i...u...e...o...n" or "ka...ki...ku...ke...ko" with the "..." indicating a pause between notes. If you record "ki" and "ke" correctly, and everything is constant, "ku" as a standalone note in the sequence is less likely to have a problem vs recording each note individually in OREMO with time in between where you have to switch to the next sample to be recorded, which takes longer. I hope that that makes at least some amount of sense... ._.;

And as Nat already mentioned, don't forget to check the .frq files because sometimes UTAU doesn't analyze pitches correctly and notes can sound strange as a result.

And as KLAD mentioned, you really shouldn't rely on an OTO generator for a CV voicebank. It's worth it in the long-run to just OTO by hand. I'd be willing to help with that if you'd like. ^-^
Aside from the errors in the voicebank, I really love your UTAU's voice! Please don't give up! :wink:

Cheers~ :uhuhu:

Yue Koromo (挙母越)

Teto's Territory
Thank you so much Kei.

I used to record in sequences my first time doing UTAU, and it might be best if I try doing that again.
I don't want to re record my entire bank, but I will probably have to do that.

I mean I know how to breathe and stuff while singing, it's just I personally feel like I do not sing good at all because it's a human instinct to dislike the way your voice sounds when you hear it recorded.

I'll check everything before redoing the bank, but if it comes down to having to re record everything I will just use Audacity and record in sequences.

I'll update this thread with stuff if anything else goes wrong with any other notes or if its just the frq. files.
Also help with otoing would be great.

Yue Koromo (挙母越)

Teto's Territory
When I press "initialize frequency map", I get this pop-up that says "regenerate frequency map of (what my wav file is named).
Do you guys know what that is about??

Nat

(๑•﹏•)
Defender of Defoko
When I press "initialize frequency map", I get this pop-up that says "regenerate frequency map of (what my wav file is named).
Do you guys know what that is about??
click "OK", it will regenerate the .frq map of the note you selected (in the oto screen, its the orange line that goes through the sample)