UTAU voicebank doesn't sound how I would like it to

Phoebe

Momo's Minion
Umm hi. :cry: (sorry i am awkward)
so no matter how high I make my voice the voice sounds like an older and more mature lady like Luka or even a young boy but I am aiming for a younger voice like Miku or Tei. I don't think my voice is that mature sounding and I am only 15 so I am not sure why it does this. Does it happen because I am speaking softly? Is it my microphones fault since I have bad mic? I would just pitch up the voice in audicity but I wan't the voice to sound natural and like me.. but it sound like an older me now..

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
There's nothing wrong with making your main UTAU with your natural voice as it is, and as you continue developing voicebanks it will often be the highest quality tone that you can use.

If, for this particular bank, you want it to sound more cutesy, it's a matter of voice acting. I can't really teach you how to do it.. Other things to try are recording samples at a higher pitch.

I was in the making of an utau a while ago that i decided not to release... I recorded my normal voice but speaking softly and pitched it up by about 2.xxxx in audacity. She sounded pretty natural. If you want to try that, I suppose it's your best bet :smile:

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
1. you should sing instead of speaking for best results. Spoken banks tend to sound bored or expressionless.
2. you're right about not pitching your samples; pitched samples never sound right unless it's really slight and for correctional purposes only (a note being a little too sharp/flat).
3. in addition to singing, try voice acting in a bright tone.

If voice acting doesn't give you the results desired, then you may want to either keep practicing, stick with your natural voice, or to seek out a voice provider. I've never heard your voice, but your description means that you're more than likely an alto (contralto voices tend to have an androgynous sound to them) or perhaps a mezzo. I would need to hear a clip of your speaking and singing voice to be certain though.

An example of how voice acting can get a "kawaii" voice: https://clyp.it/ltoobqow - Tea and CORE are my natural tones while Jelly is a more cute voice through sung voice acting.

Skiyoshi 十三

Lotus#12915
Defender of Defoko
Would you be willing to post a sample of your utau singing?

And I agree with the above, voice act your singing. Maybe try and replicate the voice of other cute sounding utau. (For my case, I just make it more nasally.)

Reactions: Kiyoteru

RaccoonButler

Founder of The Church of Mawarine Shuu
Defender of Defoko
The range of your utau's singing may be different than yours because you recorded it at a pitch that is lower from where you normally sing or recorded it more like you were speaking instead of singing.

Pitching up the voice probably won't change much because it will keep the same tone. It would be just like using the g-flag

If you record your samples more like you're singing them instead of speaking them, or if you add more pitches, it'll probably sound closer to your natural singing range.

Also, your pronunciation may be what is making it sound masculine. Even if you have a high voice, the way you pronounce things can still make you sound more like a boy. Observe the differences in pronunciation from male and female utau and try to emulate the pronunciation of banks that sound how you want it too

Reactions: Kiyoteru

Phoebe

Momo's Minion
Thank you all for the advice :smile: I'll get an example of the current voice soon and upload it on my Youtube channel. I plan on re-doing the voicebank very soon because the current notes are very short recordings so before then I'll try practicing to get the voice right.