UTAU Wiki 2.0

Since I haven't yet set up the forum on the new UTAU Wiki and I haven't yet announced it here, I figure this thread could be helpful.

For those of you who don't know, Yue and I have been working on a new wiki since May, and we opened it to the public today. You can view it here: http://utau.wikidot.com

There's several reasons why we made the switch which I posted here.

Anyway, there's a few things that need to be addressed. Since the new wiki allows for easier page creation than the old wiki or the forum, I'm thinking about getting rid of the UTAU Directory page on the forum. (I'm not entirely how many people used it after posting their own UTAU on the list anyway?)

Also, feel free to crosspost your tutorials to the wiki! (Don't worry though I'm not planning to get rid of that section anytime soon since it's still fairly busy haha.)

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Would video tutorials be acceptable to post in the Tutorials Directory?

And I saw that you were going to post Vipperloids and commercial UTAUs, but are you going to do any other JP UTAUs or will that be up to users to add?

Hope this works out better than UTAU.me...

EDIT: Just thought about this. If there's going to be directories for albums and lyrics and tutorials, why not for USTs? Like have a place people could post an article that would be compilations of their USTs, kinda like on here. I know some people have their own websites where they compile them, but I think it'd be neat to have them on the Wiki too for people who want a different place to look then on here and YouTube/Nico are sometimes difficult to work with.

MystSaphyr

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
Any sort of tutorials!

Hmm, I was a tad conflicted on a UST directory, but I'll see what I can put together! That could turn out useful.

Meta

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I know there's a restriction where you can't make a page if you don't have a distributable voicebank, but can there also be one where you need to post a demo? Either a link, or add the soundcloud or youtube playlists? Because the usefulness of having a voicebank download without a demo is pretty limited. I suppose you could search the UTAU, but I feel the wiki should highlight convenience. And if there is no demo, meaning the UTAU has never been used, what exactly is the point?

MystSaphyr

Administrator
Defender of Defoko
What if I added some auto-generated search links instead as an option?

You see, not everyone knows how to find the IDs for Soundcloud and Youtube (I've used regex to avoid people pasting in URLs or usernames, but that's about all I can do) so maybe I can add something like "include Youtube search link" or "include Soundcloud search link" that would be easier for people who don't want to poke around for IDs?

Meta

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Yeah, that could make things easier, if it's not too much trouble. What I did before the playlist embedding feature was link a demo video or soundcloud under the voicebank download itself, so I think even just encouraging linking a demo could help. Where I'm coming from, people are more likely to download the bank if they know what it sounds like, but will be less likely to go out of their way to search the UTAU and just move on.

Mugi

Teto's Territory
I believe that many people have a better time associating voicebanks and "who that utau is" with physical appearances rather than text. That's why I've always had tons of trouble finding UTAUs on the Japanese wiki, as opposed to the old overseas wiki, which had an icon+name catalogue system. I know I'm tripping all over my words right now, but what I'm trying to say is that, maybe it would be a good idea to organize Voicebanks, Albums, and Derivatives with the icon of said Voicebank, Album, or Derivative, in addition to their name, as opposed to just text and text and text.

I think that would be cool :wink:

MystSaphyr

Administrator
Defender of Defoko
That'd be simple enough to add I think! I'll experiment with both suggestions later tonight.

Mugi

Teto's Territory
Yes that would be awesome!

There should be a section with UTAU voicebanks that haven't been released/completed yet. I understand that the old UTAU wiki's proposed/unfinished UTAU page stagnated with abandoned UTAUs, so there should be a guideline that states that you need at least all of the samples finished ... or something.

MystSaphyr

Administrator
Defender of Defoko
Mmmn I'm not sure about that. One of the big reasons the old wiki got so cluttered wasn't just because of abandoned voices, but people assuming a voicebank wasn't needed for an UTAU. Also, there's the deal of people wanting to post private voicebanks, which in the past has been associated with voicebank theft.

WIP voicebanks that are never completed or released would be a problem and are frankly hard to moderate.

I'm aware that some WIPs will be posted and (hopefully) eventually weeded out if they're not finalized soon, but making an entire section for that might be difficult.

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Yeah, I also think it should just be completed banks. That really was what overflowed the old wiki with junk.

Though I think if you have a voicebank that is complete but you just haven't posted a release video for it should be fine. I've done that before and will likely do it many times in the future because I take forever to choose and do a release song/video.

KitWistful

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
I second (third? yeah third) the no-WIP policy! It breaks my heart cause I know I wanna make profiles of all my unreleased UTAUs, but it definitely makes more sense to do without them >_<;; It doesn't do anything for someone cruising around the wiki to come across a UTAU with no voice. Personally, what annoyed me about the old wiki and .me was when a UTAU's profile would claim to support languages that didn't have any releases. That was something I found frustrating. Is that a grey area in the no-WIPs policy? Is that a legitimate complaint? =-=;;

The site is running slowly for me right now, but whenever that's sorted out I'm looking forward to what pops up when I search by language and VB type and stuff. Those were the tools I missed on the old wiki : )

Mugi

Teto's Territory
Yeah I see how that could be a problem :^/. Too many people think that the UTAU wiki is just some Vocaloid (or even worse, anime) related dumping ground. You don't know how many times I've stumbled upon a page for some mary-sue OC with STOLEN ART.

Yeh let's scrap that proposal.

Oh, I forgot to mention, one thing the wiki definitely needs is a Producer directory! If you take a look at the vocaloid wiki, there are pages for vocaloid Ps that have their entire song list and discography (which we could link to the Album directory), as well as a short bio. I think it would be cool if we could get one started for UTAU-based producers.

MystSaphyr

Administrator
Defender of Defoko
Ah yes producer directory! Will do ovo/
Added icons to the UTAU directory and fixed up the voice sample field. Just gotta adjust all this stuff for the other pages (derivatives, albums) now.

Mugi

Teto's Territory
Yeeees awesome! I'm adding lots of UTAU albums right now. I think it would be cool to have the option of linking album author / circle to their corresponding page on the wiki. What do you think :?

MystSaphyr

Administrator
Defender of Defoko
I can add that easily once I make the category for author/circle pages c:

Meta

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
All right, so I just noticed the new options where you can select "romaji/kana encoding" and "romaji/kana aliasing" and all that... it's nice, but, it's kind of tough when you have multiple voicebanks that might have differences between their encoding and aliasing.

Mugi

Teto's Territory
Hey I found a bug on the wiki!

If you sort the voicebanks by type, over here: http://utau.wikidot.com/glossary:voicebank
and click "Multipitch", it just redirects you to the main page. I'm not sure whether or not this is just some incomplete page or if my computer's acting stupid. I'm just reporting it for safety's sake.