Working on a multipitch English bank.

NipahIsLife

Teto's Territory
So, I've decided to make a multipitch English voicebank. The chords I've chosen are D3, C4 and B4. Would you suggest I put a chord between the D3 and C4, or between C4 and B4, or are my chosen chords good enough?

✧ Elfrida ✧

The Space Witch
Defender of Defoko
I'd suggest pitches between all of them as those are very huge steps. Perhaps between C4 and B4 you record F4 and between D3 and C4 you do.. maybe G3? It's more pitches but it'd sound more natural that way.
Also, considering it's English and it'd take a while to record and oto, you could always just do a tripitch with pitches that are a bit closer together. That's up to you, though. I managed to record a 4 pitch just fine.

FelineWasteland

Feral Catboy
Defender of Defoko
I've done a lot of experimenting with multipitch voicebanks, and from what I've found, most leaps over 6 halfsteps do not transition well. For instance, the best result I've gotten out of a three pitch voicebank was with six halfsteps in one scale [ex. G3 + C#4 + G4]. Better still is the four pitch with four halfsteps [G3 + B3 + D#4 + G4], and the best one that I've found without redundancy [that is, having near-identical pitches] has been the five pitch with two halfsteps [G3 + A#3 + C#4 + E4 + G4]. Of course, this is based on my own voice, but through analyzing other people's voices and voicebanks, the data seems pretty consistent.

Since English is a very large language, but you would like a two-octave scale, I would suggest going with something like D3 + G#3 + D4 + G#4 + D5 [six halfstep transitions], or, sticking with your selected pitches, D3 + G3 + C4 + F4 + B4 [five/six halfstep transitions], so that you get smoother transitions between notes, but the size is still manageable.

The maximum pitches of an English bank is ~six before UTAU will have problems loading the OTO.

Hope this helps!

NipahIsLife

Teto's Territory
Okay. Now, I've also seen some VCCV multipitch voicebanks with all their sound consolidated into one folder with one oto. (Ex: F4 folder, E3 folder) However, I'm doing mine like [(F4) CVC-CV], [(F4) CV-CVC], etc. Is this still okay, can UTAU still read the many folders. If not, then how can I safely consolidate my sounds into one folder and oto?Well, make a folder for my each of my pitches.

FelineWasteland

Feral Catboy
Defender of Defoko
Okay. Now, I've also seen some VCCV multipitch voicebanks with all their sound consolidated into one folder with one oto. (Ex: F4 folder, E3 folder) However, I'm doing mine like [(F4) CVC-CV], [(F4) CV-CVC], etc. Is this still okay, can UTAU still read the many folders. If not, then how can I safely consolidate my sounds into one folder and oto?Well, make a folder for my each of my pitches.
Yup, as long as all subfolders are within the same directory, UTAU can still read them as one voicebank.

Reactions: NipahIsLife