CV, VCV and VC CV?

LightBadger

Teto's Territory
Okay, so I know how CV and VCV work, but what about CV VC? Is it preferred? I've heard some nice Japanese VB's with it, and I've heard some terrible ones with it. Can someone explain to me how it works?
I think the recordings are something like "ka ke" or something, but not so sure over here. And those CV VC english voicebanks are just godly. Is VC CV as hard to work with as VCV? Harder? Easier?

Thanks in advance
                      -Light

tady159

Ruko's Ruffians
CVVC is a way to have a small bank to work with a smoothness plretty close (or even equal) to VCV. It has about the same amount of samples a normal CV bank has (with just a few extra ones). But the bad point f it is that the whole work is done by hand, differently from VCV, which has a plugin and it automatically converts a whole UST into VCV. To work with CVVC, you connect all the vowels and all the consonants using intermediary samples. For example, with the word "arigatou", the notes would work as [a] [a r] [ri] [i g] [ga] [a t] [to].

About recording CVVC there are two ways: The first one, you record strings of about five or six syllalbes, and take the combinations from those. The bad point is that you lose a bit of control on the consonants, and will always have to work with short consonants. The other way to record are CVC samples, like "kak", "sas", "rar" and so on.
Differently from what some people think, CVVC IS suited for Japanese as well. Although the level of work needed for it makes VCV better to work.

Eyeoffcenter

Momo's Minion
In my opinion, they are about the same in terms of sound quality, with preference for VCV when I'm listening closely. CV VC might be easier to work with, however, in terms of the recording process. For example, your average VCV sample would be something like abubopupa, while a CV VC would be shorter. These are all examples of CV VC samples: bub, pup, pop, pap. They are likely easier to oto as well because they are shorter. But like tady159 said, it will be more work in the long run because you will have to do all of the editing yourself for every ust rather than use a plugin.

aquatius

Momo's Minion
Recording CVVC is a doddle. It's even easier and quicker than CV, depending on your recording method. However, you have to edit the **** out of usts, which makes it a bit of a bother. I'd say for Japanese VCV is the best option but CVVC is optimal for languages with more complex phonotactics.

LightBadger

Teto's Territory
Well I won't have to worry about the ust editing much because I usually use my own or look from a midi, so thats pushed out of the way ^^
Thanks for the knowledge :3 I learn something new everytime I come here

aquatius

Momo's Minion
LightBadger link said:
Well I won't have to worry about the ust editing much because I usually use my own or look from a midi, so thats pushed out of the way ^^
Thanks for the knowledge :3 I learn something new everytime I come here
But if you're using, say, a CV ust and want to make it CVVC, it required looooooads of work. And there are very few CVVC usts out there, so you're going to have to work on usts either way.