• If you do not recieve your confirmation email within a few hours, please email haloutau@gmail.com with your username for manual validation. Your account should be activated within 24 hours.
    You may also reach out via any other listed contact on Admin Halo's about page: https://utaforum.net/members/halo.194/#about

Have you recording a "foreign language" voice bank?

SODAsoo

Momo's Minion
Except for Japanese, which is a standard language in UTAU.

I speak Korean, Japanese, and English, and I want to record a voice bank in a language other than those three.
This is because Japanese and English are the main supported languages in most vocal synth programs, and Korean is my first language, so it doesn't feel "fresh" when I create it.
I know I want to record a Spanish or Tagalog voice bank, but the problem is that I don't speak either of those languages.

That was a long introduction, and I'd love some advice if anyone has recorded a voice bank in a language they didn't know like I did.
If you've been studying to record a language you've rarely encountered, I'd be interested to know how you'd go about it.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I would recommend
1. Watching videos for language learners about the basics of pronunciation
2. Listening to songs in that language and singing along
3. Using existing voicebanks in that language to gain experience with the notation, etc.
4. Listening to the voicebank samples as references when you record your own voicebank

dezzydream

cv bank enthusiast
Defender of Defoko
i've done a korean voicebank using a custom reclist that has lite english support, tho i'm reworking it to record a new bank with even better english support to kinda use in place of an actual english bank.

i've also had a vietnamese bank kinda shelved cuz otoing it scares me real bad but i've gotten a lot more confident in my pronunciation since i've been formally studying viet more (been planning to move to hà nội to teach english when i get my bachelors).

if you're interested in learning the phonology of a language i strongly recommend listening to people speak it with closed captions in the target language or listening to music while reading lyrics. but it's also important to keep in mind regional accents and dialects. for example, the northern hà nội accent of vietnamese uses a completely different phonology than the southern sài gòn accent and it can make communication between speakers difficult.

Reactions: SODAsoo