Making an UTAU laugh?

creampuff is life

Momo's Minion
Hi! Is there a way to make an UTAU sound like they're laughing? Sorry if this has been asked before (;´д`)ゞ

1620829708592.png

Here's the basis(??) of the laugh, and it sounds... unnatural??
I know how manipulate the portamentos and whatnot but I'm not sure how exactly I should do it இ௰இ. Any tips?

Big thanks in advance!! <3

NordGeit

Your stubborn Yotsuba Channel frequenter. Direct.
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
The length of the individual sounds matter, as well as some other factors.

I'm not an expert in acting, at all, just some natural talent for absorbing an emotion or the personality of someone (given the time) and be able to do it really good. Basically, an innate sense for emotion, even if I don't understand it.

Nevertheless, one of the things people get wrong is how laughter actually works. So let us go on a 5 hour long lecture on the history and specific functions of lau- I jest
If you laughed there, try to remember that sound you made.

While there are many different kinds of laughter, with my natural one starting with a big w h e e z e with much wheeze inbetween, in this case, I suppose there's no breath you have to work with.

Looking at the pitch curves and the length of the notes gives me somewhat of an idea of why it sounds off. A nice laughter often has very short bursts of voice, with different lengths inbetween depending on the person and exactly what. In general, you should listen to laughter samples to get an understanding as to how it works.
I'll provide something to start off with, the other person in these clips has consented to me sharing this. Intended to animate the entire clip but yet to decide a model for him so yeah

Not the purest samples, but this should give you a small idea over some of the way laughing works. (Clickable link!)
This is some organic laughter as well, I'm not the ultimate at acting laughter out. But yeah, in general, try to listen to organic laughter to find out its general functions to improve.

wish i could attach them wavs but i cannot so have this sndup link

m170

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Hm, I hope I can help?

Like NordGeit has said, there are different types of laughs and you should make them different note lengths. In real life there's often wheezing or breathy noises too when laughing.

I tried to figure out the tuning in UTAU and here's what I came up with:
Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 8.14.18 PM.png
Here's how it sounds, I hope it sounds somewhat realistic enough? link :

For the parameters, I also turned up the modulation to like a high number such as 80, and also turned up the BRE. You can also try increasing the consonant velocity as well. For this I used a consonant velocity of 180. Voicebanks that are too strong don't handle laughs as well, at least to my ears. I added some vibrato for shakiness too though I don't think that's needed.

UTAU seems to handle shorter giggles better than longer laughs, I think, or at least in my opinion. If your laugh gets too long it seems that it might end up sounding too melodic.
Also, maybe referencing USTs of songs that have laughs might help?

Hope this was informative. There's probably someone who has done this better than I did but perhaps this gives you an idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: creampuff is life