Notice: Server Migration / DNS Changes

Just a heads up. With summer around the corner, I am doing some changes to the server that powers UtaForum. You may notice a bit of server instability in the coming 24-48 hours and posts made after I clone the database / move the site may be lost in the intermediary.

I thank you for your patience, I hope to get the site running better than ever in the coming days.

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Server Migration Complete.

If you can see this post then your DNS is updated and you are loading the new server!

Fanicom

Grandma Hyena
Defender of Defoko
Welp... I was already on Ruko's ruffians too! And nau to buy change user title twice but the utabucks don't come back from before the server crash w e l p

Reactions: Nohkara

Tomato Hentai

dont call me a veggie
Defender of Defoko
Dude, what hosting were you using? I'd never expect a site like UtaForum to be taken down that fast. Or at all, really.

lunari162

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
I don't know how UtaBucks work, but I think I lost mine? It isn't a problem since I have no idea what they are, but it's just really odd.

Putting that aside, is anyone sure of what happened? Was it a cyber attack of some sort?

Tomato Hentai

dont call me a veggie
Defender of Defoko
I don't know how UtaBucks work, but I think I lost mine? It isn't a problem since I have no idea what they are, but it's just really odd.

Putting that aside, is anyone sure of what happened? Was it a cyber attack of some sort?
I think what happened was that UtaForum somehow went against the rules of the shared hosting that was being used, causing the account to be removed.

Tomato Hentai

dont call me a veggie
Defender of Defoko
OH, I guess I misunderstood what happened lmao
I thought it was moved, then the new hosting account got deactivated. I thought that because the tweet Hentai made about the move was from the 23rd, I think. Maybe I read the date of the tweet wrong.
Why didn't you just migrate the latest database to the new server?

surely your database isn't that large where it takes more than a minute.
Even if it was, what I would've done was shut the forum down temporarily so nobody could post (ACP > Options > Board active) and then move the database and make it active again.

Reactions: na4a4a

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
After doing some investigating during our transition between server it seems we had a bit of DNS desync. The old server was getting decommissioned so I setup a new hosting environment with new server names to match. For whatever reason name.com didn't propagate the new server details to everyone equally. Some were loading the old server, some were loading the new server, neither database was communicating with eachother from the desync fork point. I could attempt to restore the old server's DB but that will mean all the posts made on this DB will be lost not from the point of merge, but the original desync date on the 25th.

Either way posts and data will be lost due to the unexpected name server difficulties. At this point, it is deciding what database we keep. It is something that must be decided soon as more data will be lost the longer we take to decide. That being said I am leaning toward leaving things as they are as it seems the least obtrusive and will require the least work from me. I really am not in a position to work on the server right now as I am in the middle of a 3 week trip to Japan and wifi access has been unreliable and my phone is unbearably slow, free data being limited to 2G speeds while roaming.

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I am having technical problems with non-UtaForum sites on the new server and support on our new host isn't much help. In protest, I have decided not to renew our current service and will be migrating everything to another server. In order to prevent de-sync issues, I am going to put this forum in maintenance mode. If you see UtaForum outside of maintenance mode that means your DNS has updated and you are loading the newest server.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. This time the transition should be a lot smoother as the name servers aren't completely changing as this should be a simple IP swap and we won't have that additional step with name.com that caused so many problems last time. Also since UtaForum is the most active site I host I will transfer it last. The other sites are all transferring right now, I will put UtaForum in maintenance and transfer it later today, 12 hours after this post.

Expected Server Maintenance @ 2PM PDT.
Expected Downtime: 2-24 hours depending on local DNS.
After maintenance Flush DNS for faster DNS updates.

Last edited: