Please be attentive to lyrics input, little tips.

Catlione

Teto's Territory
Hello everyone.
I would like to talk about one problem, which I stumble upon all the time during my 5 years in UTAU fandom.

People became way way better now at making ust files from the point of tuning and other technical stuff, but there is still a problem with japanese lyrics. Every third ust I download has a problem with lyrics, sometimes it is okay, I quickly fix it, but sometimes there is a whole mess. I'm talking about usts made by overseas users.
I downloaded today "Snow Fairy Story" ust, I'm sorry, I don't remember by whom it was made, and even though the ust is fine, tuning is good, but the lyrics are just crazy. I spent 3 hours to fix main ust and I'm afraid to open harmonies, I wonder what happened during the making process, so the lyrics are so messed up...

Okay, back to the point: to anyone who creates ust files, espesially beginners, please, I beg you on my knees crying namidas, be very very very attentive when you input japanese lyrics.
I understand, when people mess up with "は" (ha) and ”へ” (he) since there is a grammar rule, where you write these syllabels, but pronounce them as "wa" and "e" (if you don't know about this, please serch the information). Obviosly, only numbers of us know japanese, so if you are the one from those who don't know, just like I am, in this case find a reliable sourse for romaji lyrics. Sadly, VocaloidWiki and AnimeLyrics sometimes may have problems with romaji too, I personaly use a Google Translator, a good old helpfull buddy. I copy a japanese sentence from the original lyrics, which you can find anywhere, and put it into the translator window, after that Google will romanize it and of course translate, but we need the romaji part. The best thing is that it will romanize with correct grammar, so you can see in which cases you need to put "わ"/"え" instead of "は"/"へ" and ect. You can add romaji lyrics to the ust and convert them with romakana converter... or just give out it with romaji lyrics and people will convert it by themself.

I used to met a person, who said that it was okay for him if the lyrics were wrong, the melody is okay and that's fine. Please don't be like that, be respectful to other languages and to the native speakers. Try to think what gibberish japanese users hear, when they listen to such covers. Yeah, this is the second problem - people who grab an ust, choose the vocal, render and that's all, they don't even check through the ust to fix something and as a result we have a bunch of gibberish covers.

This is what I do before final render and mix:
1. I listen to the original atleast 4 times, so I can remember some lyrics. It also helps later to figure out if the notes in the ust are off key.
2. I find japanese and romaji lyrics, mostly on VocaloidWiki or AnimeLyrics, I render every 2-3 sentences in ust, and when the vocal starts to play, I read romaji lyrics along with the vocal. If lyrics in the vocal don't match with romaji lyrics, I use Google Translater, as I have said before, to find out what is wrong, and thenI fix it
I do this with every overseas ust, even if everything is okay, I still need to be 100% sure.

To ust makers: if you find out that there are wrong lyrics, but you are already distributing ust, please close the DL link and fix the lyrics, and then distribute it again, don't write "lyrics are wrong, fix it by yourself", there are always people who will fix nothing.
To utau users: if you have found an ust with wrong lyrics, please contact the creator about it or warn other users. If you have fixed the lyrics by yourself, contact the creator, if he is lazy to do it by himself, maybe he'll agree to distribute your fixed version.

This is all, what I wanted to say, quite a lot... I'm sorry if there already was such thread.

Last edited:

mangosiryan12

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
it cant be avoided specially if the ust is made from utau synth. it really messed up when opening it to utau PC

oteto

Tetoholic
Defender of Defoko
I think what they mean is its your responsibility as a user to go through n fix it.