Preamps?

Twilight Tulip

Teto's Territory
Hey-o utaforum. I know I'm not around much and my UTAU work is pretty scarce, but there's a reason for that: I'm not satisfied with my current voice banks (well, I like them, but I know that it's possible to get much higher-quality voice banks, so I don't use them a whole lot) and for at least a year now I have been looking into getting some actually seriousrecording equipment (right now I've got a simple Logitech USB desktop mic. B L A H).

It's difficult, though, because I want to become a serious musician, especially for vocals, so I have a lot more to look at when choosing equipment than just "will I be able to get a decent UTAU voice bank with this?" However, I know that if I choose a decent microphone for all of my work, then a great UTAU bank will follow. So I suppose that makes it simple, too.

NOW, my big question here, and the purpose of this thread, is; does anyone here own/use a preamplifier for their recordings? It's very important for musicians, and while it may not be a worth-while investment for someone who simply records UTAU and the like as a hobby, for someone seriously pursuing a career in music such as myself, it's a very important piece of equipment to have and, seeing as I want to create a nice, high-quality voice bank, I am hesitant to go through the long and tedious process of VCV recording without one (as I know full well that when I do obtain one at a later date, I'll feel compelled to re-record the entire thing).

That was an incredibly long post and I'm sure I could cut it down a lot. I am sorry.

So, do any of you have any experience with preamps?