Recording tips for a strong voice?

jellophish

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Heyoo! I've recently learned how to use VCV a bit. I'm using Fuzzle's 5-mora reclist for this. Though, each time I record, my voice turns out very weak and actually metallic sounding in UTAU. This has been bugging me for so long OTL
Anyone have tips on how I can have my voice be stronger for the bank?

★M3ROKA★

.Puri
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Well, when I need to record a strong voice VCV; I have lots of water near by me and take breaks when my voice gets weaker and I always record standing up. Take your time and practice the voice you're working on. ---Erm, hope I kinda helped a lil' bit; only little tips but yeah XDD;

jellophish

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Oh I never recorded standing up :o
That does seem like it'd help. My voice sounds really metallic in UTAU and I keep wondering why is all xD
Thank you so much! :D

Shine

Teto's Territory
I never record any kind of UTAU - (oh my god, I'm trying to give and advice to the creator of Raikone Taiyo, I love that UTAU. o.o Oh my god. o.o) -, but I think that in stading up, your voice flows better. Try opening more your mouth, to make the samples sound more clear, and put power in them!
I have no clue if this might be useful or not, I have no practical experience in UTAU ;-;
Sorry ;-;
And I Love your UTAU's. ;-;

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
LOUD
NASAL
SHARP

I dunno, try to voice act/imitate Sorane Rana or Namine Ritsu Strong? Both are loud, clear, and have a nasal tone to them. But yeah, you're probably being too timid - strengthen your tone by opening your voice more (That makes no sense).

kirrinx

Teto's Territory
o3o i'v got a few tips/

try practicing on making your voice more projected and try to say your notes with a bit of a boom( ;w; not sure how to explain it but more louder/stronger )

you could also download some UTAUloids ( Crina's VCV or Remon Eido ,etc. ) who have strong voices to listen to their samples and try to mimic the strength of their samples ^^

and metallic voice might be because you have a soft voice and resampler.exe can't really handle these too well and it usually makes them really metallic/robotic , other resamplers like fresamp.exe usually works good with softer voice or tips.exe ( or bkh01/fn_fnds)

might as o; well and you could just play around with flag combo's to see which would work best for your VB^^

[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/kirrin_kage/akasatana[/soundcloud]

core voice for my utauloid which isn't that strong and is a bit calm/softer

[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/kirrin_kage/nutqqydatzmm[/soundcloud]

this is the sample for my stronger VB, i lowered the mic gain for this sample and recorded in a much much louder voice and is a bit more nasal than my core string sample ~

Catlione

Teto's Territory
I'm sorry for my english, I hope you will understand ^^; I have to use the translator ^^;

1. Well, my main tip is don't record separate lines of sounds, record a block of sounds. I mean...
For example, you record the "ba_ba_bi_ba_bu_be_ba" line, but don't stop! Just make a little pause and continue with a second line "bi_bi_bu_ba_be_bi_be" and so on.  I usually do from 5 to 10 lines in one record. It saves your time during the record (though when you will finish, you will have to cut the whole record to several records, to "ba_ba_bi_ba_bu_be_ba", "bi_bi_bu_ba_be_bi_be" and so on) and you and your voice don't get tired too quickly. And it is very important if you are recording a strong voice. Due to this method I record a full VCV voicebank in 1 hour, though it takes half an hour to cut all the records into parts .w.''

2. Before to start the recording, find some vocal tips about how to train your voice and how to warm up your throat and prepare your voice for singing. Your voice must be sonant for a strong voice.

3. Eat half an hour before to start recording, your voice also needs energy, but don't eat anything with crumbs (cookies, chips, nuts and so on), it can harm your throat during singing. I always eat some soup =w=

4. Record in a standing position. When you are sitting it shackles your lungs. The sound will be more clear if you stand with a straight back.

5. Drink a full glass of water every time when you feel that your throat is tired and take a rest for 5 minutes, don't rest for too long. And don't dring tea or coffe during and before the record, those drinks actually don't do anything good to your singing (or recording) abilities, sorry I don't know how to explain in a better way ^^;

6. Singing in a low voice doesn't help. Try to represent the voice and the tone like you are angry and you are going to shout.

jellophish

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
(Wow I didn't think I'd get this much help ;;u;:wink:

Thanks all of you who sent me advice :D I definitely feel better recording while standing up, my voice got louder and clearer, and the sample sounds less metallic in UTAU too.

I will try lowering the volume on my mic too xD It catches too much and ends up clipping xD

Thank you guys :D <33