Self-Insert Utau?

AmberTonnerre

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I've wanted to ask this question for a while now and see what everyone thought. Is there a stigma against openly describing that your Utau is YOU? In the beginning years of Utau, with Utaus like Jei Crepene and Beccaloid (I may have spelled her name wrong but I was unable to find her online) it was no big deal giving your Utau your real life name, appearance, and personality however as the community has grown since then is there a stigma against doing that? And if so what are the negative connotations that come along with it?

sio

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
my first UTAU in 2009 was me, but she was also a vampire neko with a maid dress so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

imo you can do whatever you want! to some people (like me) character is least priority, since above everything it's a vocal synth tool. i don't think people would mind (or even notice at all) if you base your vb's persona off yourself
:love:

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Don't a lot of people base their main UTAU off themselves anyway..?

In fact, before sunetoha was called sunetoha, it was just going to be "KLAD voicebanks". Like "KLAD English", "KLAD Japanese" etc. because it's a completely characterless UTAU that's just my voice, in UTAU form.

MillyAqualine

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I tended to infuse some of my personality or physical traits in some of my UTAUs, to various degreees, at the point each of them represents mainly a trait out of mine (like how Sakura exaggerates my love for cherries and my childish, hyper mode side or Victoire displaying more of the tough and cold / wary part -even if she does have a soft spot by monitoring the youngest memebers at times and being fangirling a lot on Alain Chamfort) and some are even really close to what I can look like IRL (Sabine and Rose being examples, even if to be even clsoer you'd need to mash them up -and that Rose uses my neutral singing tone and Sabine my speaking voice) or even how I could be under another form (even if Kei isn't totally following this path as he's still different to what I imagine my genderbend even though he does share some of the characteristics)

I guess the fact people are sometimes having trouble with self-insert utau (even if they're not 100% physically or characteristically similar to their VP ) because it's relating with the same case happening with Oc in general and the Mary-Sue / Gary Stu syndrom fear, as in whether it can feel narcisstic to make a charatcer based off yourself in any aspect.... Yet also labeling characters as narcissism and Marye Sue or Gary stu because they'd be like a "power up" improved version of the author and thus, looking nothing much in the end like them

Add to this the fact there's the eternal debate about "Voice VS Character " or "Virtual instrument / Virtual diva" problem topped on it and it drives you to this kind of reaction from people

jasmin00

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Haha my very first UTAU was Jasumin Jantai (Jasumin was the way how my name would have been written in hiragana and Jantai is just gibberish...so...ehh) Jasumin was almost like a perfect copy of me (not look wise tho, she looked nothing like me)
Now that Jasumin is abandoned and I haven't touched her for a couple of years I can say that it was a good idea not to keep her. She was just a plain oc and she had no character at all ,y'know.

Are personas or self insert UTAUs the most interesting or original characters out there? Maybe not, but in my opinion it really doesn't matter if your UTAU is based off of you or your persona. I mean UTAU is just supposed to be a fun hobby. Your character can be (almost?) anything you want.

Nohkara

Pronouns: He/him
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
As far as I know and what UTAU Wiki states, Al!ce.16 is a "selfloid" of her creator and she's quite known as an oversea UTAU.

Like others has already stated, it's fine to create an UTAU of persona. Nearly almost anything can be an UTAU (almost because you have to use a little common sense that character isn't racist or other way degrading).

I remember that when I started UTAU, I desingned a girl that had Miku's V2 clothes but blue replaced with light green and had same hair than SeeU but as light brown like nuts and small silk hat with a white rabbit accessory and her name was "Pupuloid" (my old username was *cough cough* Pupuomena and Pupu means bunny). And TBH I'm glad that she got never a VB or never shared her online, she was very poor attempt to make "own Vocaloid" I was weeb

When I got my first mic in 2013, I designed a new character: Aki. He was designed to be physically looking completely "opposite" than me: opposites sex, gold/blond hair, freckles, blue/green eyes... But I gave him almost same height than me IRL (I think to change his height soon to be same than me?), same age what I was in beginning of 2014 and his like/dislikes were same than me IRL in 2014 (back then I hated coffee and never ever could drink it but noways I love milk coffee???) and he has same personality traits that I think that I have.

Aki is not really a "selfloid" because he doesn't look physically what I look IRL at all but he's more like an Alter-Ego.
Frankly, Aki has been also a thing that I wished to be. He has been my coping toy for years *ahah..*

Other UTAU of mine are basically just OC with a canon voice but they often have a tiny bit of me in their personality or in their likes/dislikes but I would say that Aki is the most "self-loid" of my all UTAU, he's the most like me(?)

lunari162

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
No, it's not a problem at all! UTAU characters can be a form of self-expression, in a sense. I have 3 UTAU right now (2 are just concepts), and each one was based on a different part of me. Yuri was... "2015 weeaboo" me, I guess. The other two are based on who I am now and who I want to be, respectively.
Your UTAU is your UTAU, so you can do what you want (as long as it's not offensive, of course). There will always be people who are against self-insert characters, but it doesn't really matter. If it'll make you happy, go for it!

Chianachini

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Self-inserts are just fine and can be really charming if using your real personality traits. I come across many 'self-insert' OCs that are great at everything and loved by everyone, which isn't realistic.

I personally wouldn't want that info openly available to everyone online, though, so I would still modify a few things.

P

partial

I believe the major stigmas against self insert UTAU characters or OCs is largely based off of experiences with seeing so many being 100% good at everything, their crush loves them, everyone loves them, they cannot fail, etc. There is also a stigma against self inserts because of shipping, and that personally makes me sad because my love for Len is the most important thing in my life, haha.

My UTAU boys aren't based off of me, and I do like to think they're relatively flawed. I guess it all comes down to an individual's personal opinion.

tl;dr please make your OC or self insert at least a little flawed. Believability is one major step in erasing the stigma! I personally love self insert stuff, so!

P

partial

Another way I like to look at it is, imagine you're writing a story. If all your characters are perfect at everything, their romantic interests are interested in them (or lack thereof!), no one ever fails, how could you drive the plot? That's something I always think about when considering a character.