Selling a UTAU

lenny16

Momo's Minion
Ok I don't really know if there's already a topic for this but, I was wandering if you could sell a actual UTAU. I kinda wanna know becuase on another I forum I found a thread similar to this but there was alot of mixed answer's so I kinda wanted to know.  :sing: 
Lenny

lunamageice

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Mmm... this is actually quite debatable, as there is Windows 100% UTAUs which do require money.You'd probably want to ask the original creater of UTAU before proceeding.

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Just so you know there's already a (drama filled, but it does get the point across) thread over this.

http://utaforum.net/index.php?topic=2244.0

It was locked because it got off topic and started targeting one specific person and that's a huge no-go.

But overall we came to a consensus that, unless you're VIPPER, Windows 100%, or another huge company like the people selling the Macnes - it won't work out well. You need extreme quality and promotion which no single person could likely achieve. You could try, but there are plenty more high quality banks for free and even those that are sold are cheap and come with a million things (art, MMD models, etc).

Halo

Icon by Wanpuccino @ DA
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
If you're really professional about it and put a team together, it would work just fine, as long as you promoted correctly. Win100% 'loids are getting pretty sought after.

Legally, you can't resell someone else's released bank, nor can you sell disks that come with the UTAU program on it, I believe. 

Practically, your team would have to be pretty bloody pro to actually get anyone to buy. You need a unique, usable, HQ voice, it better have a good oto, an appealing design both in design sense and in style, probably a website for it and an installer would be nice...
So.

Jadii

Momo's Minion
If you're wondering about legality and stuff; yes, it is perfectly legal to make a voicebank and sell it.

As said above, unless you are a big name like the vippers or get famous voice actors to do samples like they do in windows 100%, you are just not going to sell it.
Another option I guess is to make a revolutionary voicebank with a recording method never done before that sounds great or something which would make some people want to buy it (like VCV or CV VC English) lol but that's really all your options here.

Generally selling your average voicebank will result in 0 purchases.

Chiharu

Teto's Territory
From what I know it is ok to sell a voicebank. But who want to spend their money for a voicebank while there are a lot free high-quality voicebanks?

Maybe yes if you can create an extremely high quality voicebank. and a strong promotional team.