Troll Vocaloids, How'd They Pull 'em off?

PikaPokket

Momo's Minion
Defender of Defoko
Hee hee I'm talking about the Blue Kiwi! I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw the pricetag!
Also, you never know... there can ALWAYS be a first... may I PM all of you some questions?

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
In terms of hardware you overestimate costs. There are ways to pinch corners, yet still get amazing quality.

ProTip: If you got money to burn on a good setup don't buy a 'high end' USB mic. Instead get a USB Audio Interface and take your pick of your preferred HQ Analog mic.

That being said for something like UTAU there is really diminishing returns past the $150 mark or so.

My own setup cost somewhere in the region of $700~ new but it includes a lot of excess hardware most people wouldn't need. IE USB Audio Interface, hardware mixer, multiple mics, stands, shockmounts, etc.

Of course the above hardware was not bought specifically with UTAU in mind, we use it for a variety of things including a podcast I used to be part of, an audio-drama we are planning, recording my friend's band, and other music related shenanigans.

That being said I cut a lot of corners so true cost of the hardware was in half its value. The USB Interface was bought new off of Ebay for less than retail. Since the USB interface is compatible with just about any microphone it allowed me to buy a lot of the hardware used off of friends/aquantances and Craigslist at a fraction of the true cost.

I never payed more than 50% MSRP on any of the hardware I bought. Beyond that because the versatility of our recording setup with its multiple mics it allowed me to split the cost among friends and they helped mitigate the costs as some of them pitched in when they could to help mitigate the final costs.