UTAU-Synth questions

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
shhhhh, you don't see me
Well for the past month Pokemon XY have held me captive, college has been going badly, and I've been working in all other time, so I kinda disappeared from even here.

My older brother is taking a century and a half to give me all my data from my old computer, so I've given in and installed UTAU-Synth on this MAC.

However, even though it's gone smoothly because of Myst's tutorial over on the new Wiki, I have two questions:

-Is there a romaji to hiragana plugin, or does it recognize it automatically or something? Because I generally make USTs in romaji base then convert it.
-Is there anything like a locale change needed? And when unzipping or unraring Japanese encoded banks, I selected Shift JS whatever for what it was encoded as - it seems to have worked but was that right?
-I've heard that USTs made on this are never compatible with PC UTAU. What format do I need to export as and what should I tell my PC UTAU buddy to look out for if I send her UST projects on here?
-Does UTAU-Synth support other resamplers?

I don't really want to use UTAU-Synth because all it's issues are too much for me, but until my older brother finally gives me my data I can't do much about it.

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Will go ahead and bump, trying to work with the program now and it's not fun - answers would help me figure out stuff.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
-Is there a romaji to hiragana plugin, or does it recognize it automatically or something? Because I generally make USTs in romaji base then convert it.

Ah, there isn't. But it does have auto-VCV if you type in hiragana?

-Is there anything like a locale change needed? And when unzipping or unraring Japanese encoded banks, I selected Shift JS whatever for what it was encoded as - it seems to have worked but was that right?

No locale change is required as far as I know. UTAU-Synth has been working fine for me.

-I've heard that USTs made on this are never compatible with PC UTAU. What format do I need to export as and what should I tell my PC UTAU buddy to look out for if I send her UST projects on here?

According to some people, my Radioactive UST doesn't have any rests. Try saving it to shift jis UST 1.2 and that might help some.

-Does UTAU-Synth support other resamplers?

Unfortunately, no.

And other notes. OTOs are saved as a text file so windows users will have to convert these into a normal INI file, but without knowing what to do a bank essentially has no OTO. Also, you want to clear the cache MULTIPLE times when you try to render something, because UTAU-Synth is just bitchy that way.

Something you could try is to get Wineskin and run Windows UTAU in it? But I have locale issues within Wineskin and can't seem to figure them out.

Also, if you try to download any hiragana reclists they'll end up in Mojibake, at least on my computer they do.

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Ah, that's a lot of shame.

In the end I'm using my own UTAU, who supports Romaji CV, Hiragana CV, and VCV, for the base in romaji then going to a site to convert my romaji to hiragana for copy/pasting.

On that note, since it auto-recognizes VCV is there any way to force it to use CV? D:
Like let's say I want everything VCV BUT this one note that would sound better in CV. Or even when I try to do english I'll make things like "a l" out of my L strings and such - is it possible to use those samples inside a VCV bank in this?

It's resampler sounds kinda icky I feel (that or flags don't work like the 2.76 resampled flags), big bummer that there's no support.

Ugh, I think this was going the right way in some aspects (love the envelope editor at least even if it can be really picky about when I'm selecting a point or a new area), but all these issues are so bleh compared to PC UTAU, won't miss this when I eventually can use the other UTAU again.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Well, AutoVCV in UTAU-Synth works pretty much like AutoVCV in Shareware UTAU, but there's no way to turn it off. It doesn't actually modify the lyrics that you typed in, so if you want to force it to use the first one of a string you could just type "-" into it.

PuddingPuff

Teto's Territory
Yeah, plug-ins and resamplers are a complete no-go for Synth, which is a total shame and has been increasingly getting on my nerves.

USTs in a 1.2 format should work on PC UTAU, because plenty of PC UTAU users have been able to use the USTs I make in Synth. I don't know what the main compatability issue is with PC UTAU, but I guess it's because UTAU Synth doesn't use rests?

I don't know about getting UTAU Synth to choose CV over VCV if the bank utilizes both recordings. You might have to alias your CV notes differently. For example, if you want the program to use "こ" instead of "a こ", you might have to make a copy and alias "こ" as something like "こcv" and just type that in the UST instead. (Which is kind of tedious.)

The program will automatically go from "a こ" to "- こ" (or "こ" if you don't have a "- こ" alias) with I think half a rest of space between it's preceeding note.

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I initially saved this UST as the first option, some kind of 2.0. Will it change anything in the UST if I later save it as a 1.2?

One last question, I've noticed that the envelopes if I make them with a VCV bank look horrible if you swap to CV, so how do you erase all envelope edits?

But thanks for the answers, it's made working with it at least doable.

(And are the Ritsu banks uploaded as RAR or ZIP files anywhere? They come as a folder when you download them from the site which unfortunately corrupts all the Japanese. I guess I don't need them as I don't plan to work with Synth for overly long, but it would be fun to play with Kire.)

PuddingPuff

Teto's Territory
I haven't noticed any changes with the 1.2 conversion.
I think it would interfere with overlapping and multi track features.

When I use CV, I usually clear the preutterance and overlap, go into Omakase tool and put a blend on the vowels.

And Ritsu's voicebanks have been fine for me??

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Multi-track features?

Ooooh, is that what's happening when it lets you put two notes in the same time zone? And they WORK? I didn't even try, because in Vocaloid 2 it stupidly lets you do that but it doesn't work.

Did you change your system locale or something? I've just left my system as-is and been downloading banks and having to unrar/zip with Unarchiver to preserve the Japanese. But that doesn't work when I download them automatically as folders from Canon-Voice. Are you doing something else?

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Multiple notes work but they usually don't sound right, and I prefer to mix harmonies separately anyway.

PuddingPuff

Teto's Territory
Adlez27 said:
Multiple notes work but they usually don't sound right, and I prefer to mix harmonies separately anyway.

Yeah, and I remember the auto VCV making me run into harmony problems. Like, starting a phrase with the first melody note being: "- か" and the harmony note being "a か".

There are channels too though, although I'm not 100% sure how those work. Haven't tried it.