Critique Requested 【UTAUカバー】 しう (SUCK IT UP) 【Makoto Rina】

ARIA

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko

HECC THE MIXING WAS DEFINITELY A CHALLENGE HAKJSfdsnf, I hope it sounds at least okay ;w; Please let me know what you guys think ;w;/

Big_B

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Hello, Idk if newcommers can do critique, but I want to tell you my opinions and talk with another utau producers. So let's begin! ^^

First I'll tell you how I like to analyze covers:

1 - Voicebank
Here I will analyze how your voicebank is, if it's well otoed, if sounds nice and if it has any recording/FRQ error that could be heard in the cover.

2 - Ust;
I will analyze if the ust sounds good, if the transitions and extra sounds like "breathnes" and "sh" are well sitted in the cover. If they sound displaced I will tell you.

3 - Tuning;
If you tunned your utau well, if the transition between the notes are clear and didn't make some notes sound out of place. If you add some effects using the tunimg.

4 - Mixing.
Here I will basically judge if your utau is well place im the mix, if the voice is strong and higher than the rest of the mix, but not too higher at a point that you can't heard the others instruments.

Extras:

5 - Dynamics;
If your vocal sing always at the same volume and if you can hear clearly the consonants sounds.

6 - Creativity.
Here I will judge if you edit something in the cover that makes it sounds different from the original work.

I will give you a note that can be something 1 until 5 stars:

:wink: (1 Star) - Bad, I don't like it!
:wink::wink: (2 stars) - Cool!
:wink::wink::wink: (3 stars) - God, this is how to do a cover!
:wink::wink::wink::wink: (4 stars) - Surely I will put this in my playlist!
:wink::wink::wink::wink::wink: (5 stars) - Creative and wonderful, just perfect!​

You have to understand too that I like utau covers that sounds like human. So more human it's better for me. Let's begin with the analysis.

Voicebank

I love the VB used, is it yours? She has a coool timbre and sounds kinda low range. I really love this kinda of voice. This VB sounds clear too and I love it, some samples of others voicebanks can sounds really bad and unclear, but here this didn't happen even in the cover. Nice job! To be honest, for me, she is really well otoed and I can't hear any FRQ errors.

UST

You did the ust? For me it's ok, I really like the song and the ust seems to copy the original perfectly, but I thought that you could adapt it better for her voice and try to do a more stronger voice sometimes (Like do screams in some parts to make people feel more the music). But I'll be honest it's an ok ust.

I really like to see some parts with more feeling, but i really believe that this is the music style something more emotionless. I don't like too much the trasitions, try to play a little more with the envelopes, tuning, and the notes overlap and preutturance values, sometimes it can help a lot! (Even for CV voicebanks)

I didn't like too much the "breath out" sound at the end of almost every note, but it's not something that I think you should carry too much. Idk if this is from your style or the original song, but it kinda make me upset! XD

Maybe if you worked harder in the harmonies too it could add cool effects to the final cover that I loved to see. In the end the ust is ok, but it could have suported the VB's better doing the transitions more smoother and soft. Sorry if I can't talk about flags and resamplers, I'm still learning about it.

Tuning

I like the way that you tunned this music when we're talking about pitchbend. I don't like too much the mode 2, but I understand that this is A LOT easier than mode 1. The problem is that with mode 2 you're limited by just doing the trasitions between the notes and this makes me feel like the utau community is wasting so much potential doing covers in mode 2. Back to the cover, your tune is good, but I don't see any part of the song that I say: "Guys, hear this!"

You could add some effects in some notes like vocal frys at the start of some notes (To make me feel more an emotionless vibe coming from the singer) it could sounded really better! Some high pitches at the end of some notes to add other effects could do a good job in this cover. But your pitchbend is fine, the transitions between the notes aren't perfect, but it still sounds cool for me. I have just a little problem with one part in your cover, 1:04 to 1:19 i think it sounds kinda displaced and maybe the trasitions could be done softer with some editting in the pitch transitions and the preutturance, overlap and envelopes values.

Mixing

I'm not a pro in utau and, to be honest, I'm don't know much about mix too! XD But I learned that if you want to make a vocal sounds good in your mix you have to mix it in a way that it sounds higher and stronger than the instruments, but not in a way that it feels displaced from the song. The mixing vocal process, usually, wants to make the vocal sounds vivid, alive, and less emotionless.

I don't like your VB's volume, I think that maybe it should sound higher in the mix. I think that you could use a plugin that simulate a room so with that your VB's voice could sound a lot more fulfill in the mix. For me your mix is ok because I don't know how to really judge this, sorry! ^^'

Dynamics

Here I judge how you use the volume tool in utau. You didn't use it at all. I believe that changing the volume of the notes can make the cover sound more human (Because as how we talk we don't sing all the notes at the same volume). Maybe if you try to change the volume from the notes and make they sound with different volumes you could reach a more human cover, but idc to much with this. That's why it's an extra.

Creativity

Here I should judge your creativity at changing the cover from the original song, but I can't see any difference from the original cover, so I won't critique this.

Your final result is:

:wink::wink::wink:
(God, this is how to do a cover!)

Nice job! I liked your cover even if I think you had a lot to improve. But don't worry, everyone has something to learn. Me, you, everybody on this world will learn new things and improve themselves at some way and some point in our lifes. Your cover is good for me and, being honest, I really prefer to heear your cover instead the original one.

If you don't like my critique I really understand you and don't forget that I'm a noob in utau! So don't be mad if i told you something that you didn't like, it's a critique request and I'm just making a critique. More important than that, if you disagree with me you can just ignore me! ^^ It's not like what I said is true, so be had, stay in utau community, sometimes it's too hard, but it's too cool!.

See ya ~ ^-^

Reactions: Bub78