Virus alert!!- VCV Oto Generator

chibiveggie

Teto's Territory
A few days ago I downloaded what seemed to be a really convenient tool called "VCV oto generator". Basically you drop a VCV reclist into the program and you can type in standard values for the offset, preutterance, etc. and it will generate an oto with romaji aliases and every note will have the said values you put in. It's a really convenient tool, despite only having support for romaji aliases, and it works fine for me.
Anyway, back to the point. I ran my antivirus a while ago and something called a "dropper trojan" showed up in vcv oto generator.rar. Dropper trojans "drop" unwanted malware onto your computer and allow the virus's creator remote access to your computer. That's pretty bad.
I got it from this video, and I'm not really sure if I should trust this user for downloads now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt_wapIfAoc
I didn't think that people in the UTAU community would give out viruses and such! :sad:

Tema

Living Katsudon
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
If there really is a virus from the OTO generator (I'm a bit skeptical because I've heard of lots of people having their antivirus ID an UTAU thing as a virus when it wasn't, and I've had a false positive myself), the uploader probably was a victim of the virus themselves. I've yet to encounter anyone who consciously spread malware in the fandom.

ETA: I just downloaded it and ran it through my antivirus, and it came back clean. Which anti-virus software are you using?

samth1815

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
RE:

If it's the one that opens a CMD window to run, then no, there is not a virus. Norton has never given me problems with it.

chibiveggie

Teto's Territory
teifuani said:
If there really is a virus from the OTO generator (I'm a bit skeptical because I've heard of lots of people having their antivirus ID an UTAU thing as a virus when it wasn't, and I've had a false positive myself), the uploader probably was a victim of the virus themselves. I've yet to encounter anyone who consciously spread malware in the fandom.

ETA: I just downloaded it and ran it through my antivirus, and it came back clean. Which anti-virus software are you using?

Hmm.. Excuse me, it might just be my computer. I just use the free version of Malwarebytes to scan it about once a week. The source of the virus showed up as the OTO generator's rar file and I just went from there! :blush: I kind of figured Malwarebytes was misleading and wanted to make sure if the generator actually gave a virus or not. Thanks for letting me know.

Tema

Living Katsudon
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
It's not a problem! :D It's better to be safe than sorry. It's not impossible that someone could get a virus from UTAU downloads, but in my experience most of the time it's a false positive. (My old antivirus said the UTAU program itself was a virus, believe it or not.)

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
RE:

Keep in mind that many people are still using Windows XP which is no longer supported by Microsoft, so they may accidentally spread viruses without knowing that they're infected. You'll be hard pressed to find someone in this community that would purposefully put malware in something they're distributing. It also helps to remember that plugins and sometimes even UTAU itself can be treated as something malicious by Chrome, malwarebytes, antivirus software, etc. If you're ever unsure if something was added to your machine without your knowledge, check your installed programs via control panel to see if there's anything you don't remember installing and don't use on a regular basis. If you don't notice anything strange and your computer doesn't suffer from a drop in performance (like that one plugin is eating up all your memory), ads, etc. then you're probably fine to use it.