We need to start talking about the future of UTAU's engine development before it's too late

Tenkoh

As lazy as can be
Defender of Defoko
No progress yet?
I have an idea! Why not write an UTAU alternative as a web app?
No downloads, need to install anything, no need to switch locales, everyone always has the latest version, cross platform, works even on slow computers and Chromebooks (perhaps even tablets).
Sure, you'd need to always be online, but maybe the benefits could outweight the disadvantages.
People could upload their voicebanks to their account and give access to other people. And since there are no downloads, you can always revoke access if you want to, and no one will be able to use your VB without consent. Same goes for USTs!
Rendering would be done on the server, and the user would be able to pick any resampler as long as they prove that they own a copy of it.

I think the biggest difficulty would be creating the front-end GUI and decyphering the parameters sent to the wavtool/resampler. Javascript is very easy to learn though, so that's one less problem.

Tomato Hentai

dont call me a veggie
Defender of Defoko
No progress yet?
I have an idea! Why not write an UTAU alternative as a web app?
No downloads, need to install anything, no need to switch locales, everyone always has the latest version, cross platform, works even on slow computers and Chromebooks (perhaps even tablets).
Sure, you'd need to always be online, but maybe the benefits could outweight the disadvantages.
People could upload their voicebanks to their account and give access to other people. And since there are no downloads, you can always revoke access if you want to, and no one will be able to use your VB without consent. Same goes for USTs!
Rendering would be done on the server, and the user would be able to pick any resampler as long as they prove that they own a copy of it.

I think the biggest difficulty would be creating the front-end GUI and decyphering the parameters sent to the wavtool/resampler. Javascript is very easy to learn though, so that's one less problem.
This sounds like a really, really good idea. With a properly written front-end we could also get around a bunch of the annoying things about UTAU, like rests. Only problem I have is that I worry that it'd become exclusive to Chrome and other Webkit-based browsers since that's what most people focus on when creating webapps like this.

Melomad

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Maybe we could go for a concept like Discord : an online app and a desktop app.

chunter

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I'd rather have something run in the PC too, but the more households I know about that don't have them because of tablets and phones, it becomes more understandable.

Personally, my way of making music is dependent on the existence of QWERTY keys.

Tenkoh

As lazy as can be
Defender of Defoko
Well, I think the main goal is to make it run on computers. Tablets and phones don't really have a good input method anyway.

As for a desktop application, it would be possible to rewrite the backend to work locally, but the priority should be the web version, since it is cross platform and can be used by more people.

Anyway, I better do something instead of just having good ideas.

Here's my progress on the front-end GUI
R7sHs32.png

I'm currently reimplementing the drawing tools to accomodate a rest-less system.

SOHBlue

Master of Doom
Defender of Defoko
Well, I think the main goal is to make it run on computers. Tablets and phones don't really have a good input method anyway.

As for a desktop application, it would be possible to rewrite the backend to work locally, but the priority should be the web version, since it is cross platform and can be used by more people.

Anyway, I better do something instead of just having good ideas.

Here's my progress on the front-end GUI
R7sHs32.png

I'm currently reimplementing the drawing tools to accomodate a rest-less system.
You're doing Queen Defoko's work~ :wink:
[doublepost=1495074707][/doublepost]
I really like the idea of a universal web app, but who would host and pay for it?
I'd be willing to donate to it.

Fanicom

Grandma Hyena
Defender of Defoko
b-but it's online... how do you make the rendering work? you have to upload the VB to the server first? ;-;

Tomato Hentai

dont call me a veggie
Defender of Defoko
b-but it's online... how do you make the rendering work? you have to upload the VB to the server first? ;-;
you would upload it to your account, yeah
Once it's online you wouldn't really need to worry losing it because of a HDD dying, so even if uploading it would be annoying for people with bad internet, it might be a bit more convenient in the long run.

Tenkoh

As lazy as can be
Defender of Defoko
I've skipped a lot of classes to work on this project since I started it on Tuesday. I'm probably getting a bit too obsessive.

Region selection now works and clicked notes show an outline. Also, deleted notes are replaced with rests (which will be invisible) unless they are at the end of the sequence, in which case they are truly deleted.
hm21cGR.png

0phRCLN.png

fmlRV5p.png

The tracks are being stored as javascript objects, so I'll probably use json files to save them. Converting USTs to JSON and vice-versa doesn't seem to be too difficult.

I still need to work on moving, resizing and adding notes in rest-less mode, then it'll be able to edit the basic shape of an UST.

I'm sure a more experienced developer could do all of this much more quickly. Still, I'm having a blast with Javascript. It feels so flexible...

Info-Chan

SELENA Developer
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Wait, but if this is just a front end gui for it in browser, won't it also become unsupported?

Reactions: Zoku