What do people use to make movies?

Light

Momo's Minion
So I movie is nice and all, but it's kind of hard to edit videos in. And Final cut pro is too expensive for me :cry: . So i'm wondering what you people use.

Willing to spend 0-20 dollars on a program

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I go to a PC and use Windows Live Movie Maker or Sony Vegas since I know how to use those. My Adobe Creative Suite 6 didn't come with a video software unfortunately.

What is iMovie like anyways? I haven't touched it. Is it comparable to WLMM? Better? Worse? Does it allow transparencies (the big point for a video software)?

Light

Momo's Minion
I want Diffrent resamplers ;u; O well

Imovie isn't really meant for editing videos, more like me sending my grandma a slideshow with music
However I have gotten pretty good use out of it since its the only thing I got for now.

It allows transparent images, but it does this ridiculous cropping thing that takes around 45 minutes if you want to get a not cropped picture ontop of a movie

I can't put a moive on a movie,movie on a picture, or more then one pictures on a movie

So i'm kind of sad :uhm:
The effects are great and I highly recommend it for subtitles its super easy for that
That was longer then intended XD

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
The transparencies bit puts it above WLMM, even if just slightly.

(Ah, I miss them too. The PC I go to work on occasionally doesn't have JP Locale though so I can't properly use UTAU on it. And I don't really have access to Sony Vegas right now, it's just been a while since I've worked on a video so it still counts.)

Chiharu

Teto's Territory
You can't make animation with iMovie.. I use iMovie only for adding subtitle.

For mac, there is Motion. You can do anything basically, it has layer, keyframe, and camera, similar to After Effect. It has huge variety of preloaded motion & effect too.

If I'm not wrong it's around $45, It's cheap if compared to After Effect.

and.. I heard that a lot of Niconico users use Aviutl. It's free, and I found out the english patches here: http://www.htasoft.com/aviutl/aviutl.htm
* Aviutl is for PC though..

Light

Momo's Minion
I think Motion is a good idea, thanks :sing:

How do you get Aviutl?
Adobe 2.0 won't download XD
(By the way I found out that you can buy sony vegas for mac. it's ~120 dollars though.....)

I movie is great for subtitles but you can do minor video editing(Putting a character on a video,and synching music)

Chiharu

Teto's Territory
here's the link to download AviUtl: http://spring-fragrance.mints.ne.jp/aviutl/
I never tried AviUtl myself tho, since I don't have PC..

Zarsla

ENG-JPN UTAU User
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I use video pad editor at home.
It's free and you can get it here:
http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/

irei1as

Teto's Territory
blender is a multi-OS freeware (Mac OSX included) for 3D modeling but it has a built-in tool to make videos -video sequence editor-.
The downside is that is not very easy to use.

OngakuCD

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I started off on Sony Vegas and I find it very easy to use, however it doesn't provide me with the type of effects that I want all the time

I'm trying to get used to AE (everything is so complicated for me, and all the tutorials on YT are about editing Call of Duty videos). When I am successful to produce an effect, I render it as a transparent file and import in into Sony Vegas.