What motivates you to finish stuff?

IrisFlower

Precious Flower with Thorns
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
So, I'm sure it's no secret that this fandom as a whole is terrible at finishing stuff...whether it be in a "timely manner" or at all. And sometimes it can't be helped I mean I myself am busy with college and can now only really work on stuff when I'm on break which effectively delays a whole bunch, if not all, of my projects.

But I digress...there are times when we do finish our projects. Sometimes we finish them really quickly!! And I'm curious as to what motivates you guys to finish your covers/art/whatever anything UTAU related.

One of my motivators...is just using banks I really want to use...like this Vocaloid Medley cover I'm doing. It just feels really nice to use a bank I've always wanted to use but never really got around to and not only that but have it fit the song I'm using it for. And the more voices I render and the more chorus I get done the better it gets.

And yeah sometimes even your greatest motivator doesn't work and your project still flops and goes unfinished...but that's not why we're here we're here to talk about when it does work~

So what about you guys? If you don't have any(or don't think you have any) you never know...maybe you might get some ideas here.

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
I usually get lazy at finishing my UTAU stuff (and sometimes bored and moody)

How my procrastination works: "I wanna finishing tuning this UST!... Meh. I'll finish it next time. I'll finish tuning this UST instead! Uh, maybe next time. I'll just finish mixing this!" yeah... :cynical:

My top reason would be is because I want to show my stuff to others as quickly as possible with my full effort (hence why it takes so long for me OTL)

Then there's the times where I really want to finish making something awesome :creepygrin:

Using certain banks. YES. I have a lot of other voicebanks that I still haven't used in a completed project (this is why I don't download any other banks except for maybe updates and appends)

As for quickly finishing projects, it's usually already tuned USTs for me (not 100% my own effort but it's something from me)

BaseNumbers

Momo's Minion
A 14-day trial limit. It expires this Friday what do I do

Concerning UTAU though, the one rule of thumb that applies to me is the shorter the song, the better. Or maybe I plan to just do part of a song (Which is different from planning a full song and dropping it midway mind you :orly:)

Although I perfer some voicebanks over others, I also don't want to use the same one many times (unless they have a 14-day trial limit) and the voicebank isn't much of a factor as the length of the song.

AlphaUtau

Teto's Territory
Nothing atm, ahah. No. Ehm, I don't have utau on the computer that I mostly use, so I can only use utau for like 2 times in one month, so when I use utau, I'm working my ass off to finish everything xD

Also, I get motivated when I get good critique about my utau, it makes me looking forward to new comments on new vids. But I'm even more motivated to finish my work, when I'm working with someone else his/her utau, since they always sound better then mine and are nice to use. And ofcourse because I get nervous when I do so, so I want to end it quickly.

NinetH

Teto's Territory
I usually do stuffs by mood since i don't really like forcing myself unless there is a deadline

well, one of my motivator is "good results". from time to time i check what i do. If the initial results are good it motivates me a lot. Just think that "if the initial results is already this good then what about the final output".It applies when I'm making music and drawing. well if it has bad results it makes me want to give up.

well, my another motivator is "music". Music is my mood maker. like for example ,when I hear a beautiful song it makes me want to create something beautiful. Or sometimes it is something else. well when i draw, I tend to put my full concentration on the drawing making me forget that there was even music going on. well it sort of like my companion. I'm usually alone and lonely but music is there to make me feel not lonely. It is hard to do something when you are depressed.

well, there is also "friends"(either on the net or on RL). well somehow the same as kimchi-tan. well, when you show your works to your friends won't they say word of praise and critiques. so I look forward on finishing my stuff to show it to others and get their opinion. well, i like hearing their opinions.

well sorry for the long reply but i was suddenly "motivated" <---(LOL) to do this. Well, I usually do stuffs based on my mood because if I'm in the right mood the better the results and also when i do my works, I usually do it nonstop (well I have breaks of course) because if I stop, i lose my will to continue unless I'm in the mood again. there was this drawing i made at 9pm and ended at 2am. I was so tired at that time but it was worth it.

Fumfum

Momo's Minion
^thank you

Hahaha, well... I have no idea what motivates me. Hoping on views? acknowledgement?

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
i don't

It's a big problem being an UTAU user when you DON'T have enough motivation to finish something. Hence I have like 30 WIP USTs. The biggest is when I'm being challenged (reasonably) by a friend or it's a gift like a Secret Santa or a birthday - in those cases I actually have quickly finished a UST. But mostly otherwise it doesn't happen.

Fyne-Q

Teto's Territory
shinami said:
It's a big problem being an UTAU user when you DON'T have enough motivation to finish something. Hence I have like 30 WIP USTs.
^this

Most of the time I do things little by little. Not only usts - cover art and VBs too (I was otoing a VCV for six months and I released it after another six months... that's serious leziness). But when something motivates me, it's usually... Wanting to hear the end result, I guess? Or wanting to show it to other people. Also, deadlines, but I think that's pretty obvious.

moonst4r

Witch of the Night
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I am usually able to finish my work if I have freetime or procrastinating. Usually if I'm doing something for another person I'm more motivated to get it done faster than if it were just for myself.

Olivia

Tutor
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
Honestly my love for UTAU makes me finish stuff, and wanting to hear other people's opinions! ^o^
The reason I started UTAU was because I very much wanted to make my own character with anime-ish vocals, like the Cryptonloids for example, so I look to Vocaloid covers and stuff for inspiration

I love how they were able to make such well liked characters with such unique voice types! I want to do the same. I want to make a professional looking/sounding UTAU I suppose! xD

I also really like trying to make voicebanks that sound all exaggerated like anime characters lol

And I love making the art work and in UTAU, editing and tuning USTs to make it sound it's best.

That's just me! uwu