How did you come up with your UTAU?

LordUsagi

Momo's Minion
As for me, I came up with Hoshi after I dyed my hair blue actually xD; and I stole the name Hoshi from some character,I don't remember who OTL annnnnd my friend Kita came up with the last name Moeru. I honestly don't know how she did,but she did XD Hoshi was made almost entirely from my own personality and such c: boring story, I know. 

Ignore that^ I'll tell you my long adventure instead. XD

Well I first found out about Vocaloid through my friend Kita,who is a super VocaNerd.(I believe it was 2009) I learned all about vocaloids and such on my own time and absolutely fell in love. Then,one day I saw a video labeled UTAU Vocaloid cover something or other. On the video was teto wearing her uniform similar to that of a vocaloid. I listened and was a bit confused seeing as how her voice was similar to vocaloid,except not as smooth. I then began my epic sweep of the internet to figure out what this mysterious UTAU was. Annnnnd I learned everything that I know today on the subject and ADORED the idea of "making your own vocaloid".  So,I attempted my first utau (total failure.) But after a couple tries annnnnd after dying my hair blue multiple times, I finally came up with my ideal UTAU. Hoshi was pretty much just a self-insert(minus a couple details). But yeah. boring story. xD

IrisFlower

Precious Flower with Thorns
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I came up with Iris because I kept seeing so many shy and or grumpy UTAU, including my first attempt, and none that were just genuinely optimistic. I mean not hyper cheerful happy but just...always looking on the bright side of life happy. That and I wanted to completely start over with UTAU lol

Her name comes from my favorite flower and my sign. Totes creative I know ||OTL

SpazzehBat

Momo's Minion
Metaru was originally supposed to be a Roboloid (first dubbed Emoticon, then Metaru Kinzoku). When I saw the popularity of Roboloids dying down, I turned to UTAU. Then she was born into a new being.

Cdra

possibly dead
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Well, let's see here.  My sister--Generic--recorded her utau first, then I recorded mine.  The way she recorded, her voicebank came out pretty quirky sounding and strong, and mine came out soft and mature.  I decided to draw them concept art while they were frqing, actually.  So my sister pitched me the design she wanted.

According to Generic in hindsight, she basically took all the features she usually likes on males (glasses, businesslike attire, ties, red eyes + white hair) and applied them to a girl.  Also, she can't draw girls with glasses, so since I was doing the art she wanted me to give them to her.  The color scheme she chose was pretty simply her colors--red, black, and white.  I made her short and made her skin dark (so she wouldn't be JUST ANOTHER FREAKING ALBINO).  Her short hair was for a little touch of tomboy attitude.

Then, I had mine to design.  She was going to be taller, because she was mature and her voice was deep.  So I basically complimented the design Generic gave me--I gave her bright colors, with fairer skin and darker hair.  Green eyes became the direct color compliment to Generic's red, and her outfit became casual, crazy, and asymmetrical--the kinds of outfits I love to draw but never have an excuse to.  Her hairstyle was just sort of... w/e let's do a mullet because those are awesome, and again, I like drawing them.

I tacked on a few other things, but that's the core of how it happened.  Generic said I could name her UTAU, so I came up with Soledi Renje for her and Hareto Tanoru for me.  I later started calling them by their proper American names--Soledi Ranger and Halt Tanner.  And yeah.  They just sort of happened overnight and now they're my babies.

Also I made them 26 and 25? (I always write Soledi's age with a ?) because... they don't sound like teenagers, so... yeah.

LordUsagi

Momo's Minion
Cdra link said:
Well, let's see here.  My sister--Generic--recorded her utau first, then I recorded mine.  The way she recorded, her voicebank came out pretty quirky sounding and strong, and mine came out soft and mature.  I decided to draw them concept art while they were frqing, actually.  So my sister pitched me the design she wanted.

According to Generic in hindsight, she basically took all the features she usually likes on males (glasses, businesslike attire, ties, red eyes + white hair) and applied them to a girl.  Also, she can't draw girls with glasses, so since I was doing the art she wanted me to give them to her.  The color scheme she chose was pretty simply her colors--red, black, and white.  I made her short and made her skin dark (so she wouldn't be JUST ANOTHER FREAKING ALBINO).  Her short hair was for a little touch of tomboy attitude.

Then, I had mine to design.  She was going to be taller, because she was mature and her voice was deep.  So I basically complimented the design Generic gave me--I gave her bright colors, with fairer skin and darker hair.  Green eyes became the direct color compliment to Generic's red, and her outfit became casual, crazy, and asymmetrical--the kinds of outfits I love to draw but never have an excuse to.  Her hairstyle was just sort of... w/e let's do a mullet because those are awesome, and again, I like drawing them.

I tacked on a few other things, but that's the core of how it happened.  Generic said I could name her UTAU, so I came up with Soledi Renje for her and Hareto Tanoru for me.  I later started calling them by their proper American names--Soledi Ranger and Halt Tanner.  And yeah.  They just sort of happened overnight and now they're my babies.

Also I made them 26 and 25? (I always write Soledi's age with a ?) because... they don't sound like teenagers, so... yeah.

your story is pretty awesome for being an overnight thing xD
and at least you had someone to work with, it kinda sucks having to come up with design,name,personality,etc. all by yourself. It's also pretty cool that your sister was willing to record too,I can't ever get my family to record :c

Cdra

possibly dead
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
LordUsagi link said:
your story is pretty awesome for being an overnight thing xD
and at least you had someone to work with, it kinda sucks having to come up with design,name,personality,etc. all by yourself. It's also pretty cool that your sister was willing to record too,I can't ever get my family to record :c
I came up with mine by myself. xD;  I mean, I didn't put a lot of effort in... I just did stuff...

And well.  I only started using UTAU because I wanted to make a voicebank out of her voice.  I had never planned to make one myself until that night 8D;;

LordUsagi

Momo's Minion
Cdra link said:
[quote author=LordUsagi link=topic=524.msg2697#msg2697 date=1329367364]your story is pretty awesome for being an overnight thing xD
I came up with mine by myself. xD;  I mean, I didn't put a lot of effort in... I just did stuff...

And well.  I only started using UTAU because I wanted to make a voicebank out of her voice.  I had never planned to make one myself until that night 8D;;
[/quote]
ahh well still XD you had her to bounce ideas around and such c: and thats still awesome. even if you weren't going to make one,you did and you now have a character that you love so it was totally worth it :B

zinfandel

Teto's Territory
Supporter
Kurisu was originally a self insert, which is why he has a romaji-fyed version of the short form of my irl name. Then over time I shifted him from that, and moved to a depressed alcoholic cybernetic humanoid who is CEO for the fictional version of the entertainment organization I try to farce together and is good friends with his human life killer who is CFO for the same company... yeah... xD

kawaiibubbleschan

Momo's Minion
I came up with my Utau, Kagoshima Daisuke in 2009, a year after I had purchased Rin and Len through a penpal i had in Japan while I was in high school. Me and my penpal were emailing back and forth (this is before i had knowledge he had instant messaging) and he had sent me a picture of all these "rainbow" themed fanmade vocaloids, i guess most of the community has seen them at one point in time. I soon found out about Teto that she was actually from a freeware called Utau, so i gave it a whirl. I wanted to make a shonen like boy character, because my voice isnt very high, even as a girl, so i made a boy. So i made my voicebank, and put it through a ust and it sounded awful. but among the scratchy glithcy sounding notes "a" was heard, nice, crisp and clear. I had never been so excited to hear something i had created, even though it wasnt finished and i had no clue how to go about it, i made an UTAU, my own "vocaloid". I Named him after my pen pal, Daisuke from Kagoshima. so his name was Kagoshima Daisuke. It was a really Weaboo name, but i wanted it to have some sort of meaning, since my pen pal was the one who had gotten me into vocaloid in the first place.

My other Utauoid, Kaimei who i made in April of last year, really has not much significance to her. I just made her to have a female Utau, since my only Utau was a boy.
Her name was given to me by my best friens in the Utau community, Electrorobo, and i immediately fell in love with it.

Between 2009 and the end of 2010 i had stopped playing around with Utau, and came back to so many things i had never even imagined, such as VCV and the idea of English banks!

So here i am again~ and i am working on yet another Utau (for a secret Project. Her Name is Hoshi) , which will be my last.

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Vocaloid-Creativity lets you have fancy colors for your username if you joined the appropriate usergroup. UTAU Creator had the best color, so I decided I definitely wanted to be one of those. I saw Mae's excellent tutorials on YouTube and admired her near-fluent Japanese. Decided to make a bank based off of Mae's videos and recruited a friend who had a fancy Tablet PC to do my UTAU's art.

[hs width=200 height=175]http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/2428/otakuneconcept.gif[/hs]​

I was a huge fan of Naruto at the time so the character concepts were simple. Naruto with a Japanese flag to show that he could sing in Japanese, and boxart done in a Miku-like style. We didn't want to get sued so we decided to utalize our trademark "Postmodern Minimalist"-style to show it was a homage and a parody and so people wouldn't confuse our mad skills with Masashi Kishimoto.

So yea it was very much on a whim. From initial concept to recording it too less than 24 hours. We got a fully animated PV within 48, and well the rest... is history!

Mayuen

Momo's Minion
I decided to record my own voice and turn it into a UTAU, yeah... xD

The design is a weird combination of old ideas of mine, the hair from that, the clothes from there ect. I had a fix idea of brown hair and green eyes that too, so that was easy to decide. The only thing which differs from the design I thought of before drawing, was that I first planned to give her pants but it ended up being shorts - for some reason I don't know but I liked the results... xD

Her name (Saga Futosen) is... yeah, I like to overdo it sometimes when coming up with names with backstories... Saga is the name of the Goddes of History in the Norse Mythology, also the Swedish word for "fairytale" or "story" which made her character item easy to decide. It also means "the one who sees" which is... pretty stupid and far-fetched so I won't describe it here >w>

Her last name Futosen is made of the word Futoumei (transparent) and Issen (line) - don't ask me if this actually works, I have no idea - and is also rather far-fetched so don't ask orz

MAYUloids also contains of some other UTAUs, but they have yet to have voices so I won't include them here... (if no one want to hear about them? *hinthint* *shot*)

aplusod

Teto's Territory
I found a random microphone in the basement and decided to give it a try one night. I had heard of UTAU before that, just didn't think I had a microphone. ;;
A little after I got into VOCALOID, I started making OCs, and Shizu was first...so naturally she'd be my first UTAU. Her design was a total rip of Haku's pretty much. (I really loved white hair and red eye combos around then.) Thankfully I've gotten around to changing it a lot since... Her surname was my initial kanji fail, but I liked the way it sounded and then just kept it. It's not like anyone else here's gonna use "contradicting sound" for a surname anyways, I figure no one'll use it later too. Her first name was because she was originally a self-insert and all that boring stuff.
As far as Aroku goes, she was originally based on a Tsugai Kogarashi PV, and then made sorta Crypton-ish. By the time I tried voice acting (and failed), I had already redesigned her a bit to whatever she is now. I've also got an idea in mind to get rid of her armwarmers for something I feel would fit a little better. Her name doesn't mean anything in particular. And I've been meaning to either get better at voice acting or to get another friend to voice her.
In between those two, I made an UTAU by stuffing my microphone down my piano and recording that way. While I should really get around to fixing it, I'm a lazy sod and such. Originally it was Pianone Abscissa and Ordinate, because I liked those names and wanted something with those names. And "Pianone"- such originality right there xD /shot. Buuuuut, now the thing's called Pianoloid and is designless and I need to re-oto it and stuff.
And...uh...yeah.;;

Asteriski

Teto's Territory
Azure started out as my Voca-persona, and I was going to use her sort of like Tonarine Sai, as an avatar for my singing. Her vague story is that she and the other Doublecross were prototype models for androids with organ implants who would adapt a personality from a designated person that they'd stay with for a while. Eventually, I got UTAU to work and thought it would be fun to make one of my own.

Crimson was a failed version of one of Azure's early Alter banks. She was originally a backup character based off of one of my best friends. There's a third one of those, but she doesn't have a voice yet.

Astral-Arts

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Oh god. This is a slightly emotional story (at least for me xD):

When I found out about UTAU, I was not feeling too great, emotional-wise, I mean. I felt as if all my characters looked the same (blond hair, blue eyes, happy-go-lucky and everyone loves them mary-sueeeeee) and I wasn't happy with any aspect of my art. So when I decided to make Ama, I decided I wanted something different. Instead of light blue and white, I went red and black. Happy go lucky? How about slightly psychopathic? I forced myself to challenge every aspect about my old oc's to make Amagaku. That's why her name "Amagaku" means "soft music". It's a contradiction, much like many of my old oc's were, in a very bad way. I wanted her to appear edgy and sexy, but have a decently soft personality. Thus, Amagaku was born. I also originally hadn't planned on a mature voice like she has now, but just a very strong one. My voice was naturally mature because of the singing lessons provided by my school (although her act 1 was still nasily and chipmunky) she eventually grew to be, well, at lease closer to how I imagine her to be in my mind.

faerimagic

Ruko's Ruffians
Well, I only have one UTAUloid so far, and that's DIPTHONG.
A joke at weaboos. Nuff said.

Thing is, I've created a sort of imaginary friend, a character that I could pretend to talk to. She soon grew to three separate characters. Later, I added their male counterparts. And then planned a crack bank. And then planned DIPTHONG. ((That's right, my first UTAUloid was the most recent design.))

And now I'm thinking about scrapping the many UTAUloids plan and mainly focus on a single one, and try voice acting. My mother is amused by my attempts of voice acting (I think...xD), so we'll see how that goes.

Astral-Arts

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
faerimagic link said:
Thing is, I've created a sort of imaginary friend, a character that I could pretend to talk to.

This. I do this with Ama. She is my imaginary best friend. <3

LupinAKAFlashTH

DEX's Voice Provider. Woah.
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Oooh, I love telling this story.  Its more than one story, is why.

Back when I was younger, I acquired a strong, strong affinity for canines, wolves in particular, due to taking care of a wolf in secret.  Very sneaky Kenji is sneaky.  I had to go through a few extremes (not just to the extremes, THROUGH them) to do it, but the wolf didn't seem to mind it.
Anyways, one day my parents found out about my dirty little secret.  They immediately demanded requested me to release it to the wild, which pained me to do at the time, since I built such a strong bond with it.  A week later, the same wolf comes back, injured and bleeding.  I took it in and cleaned up the wound (feeling bad whenever the poor thing whimpered) and discovered bite marks.  My parents found me cleaning up the wolf later and I asked them to take it to the vet's.  After undergoing a few procedures, they identified venom in the blood stream.  The poor thing didn't have long to live, so I said my last goodbyes to it.  There was nothing they could do at the time.

Several years later, in 8th grade, I got into VOCALOID.  Not telling that story, I also began drawing, which was a new found hobby at the time.  In 9th grade, on a bus ride home, my hair got thrown around into a very particular hairstyle, and I decided to design an anime-version of myself using that hairstyle instead of my usual, non-messed up one.  It wound up becoming a VOCALOID fan-character with the name "Kenji Arios", which literally meant nothing to me, and I'm pretty sure it meant very little to anyone else, in terms of the name.

Later on in 9th grade, I discover UTAU, and after lurking on the VOCALOID Otaku forums (and finding the original Overseas Utaforum because of it) I decided to give a shot being part of the community.  I wiped any memories of my "VOCALOID Fancharacter", at least any proof it was a VOCALOID Fancharacter, and then began as a VOCALOID Fan who had recently gotten into UTAU (who, more or less, had already been into UTAU for about 2 months.  I even dabbled with the program a bit before actually joining the community) and was interested in creating his own.

My first goal was VCV recording.  I had heard Teto's Stargazer cover (which I still think is godly, btw) and I was determined to get my UTAUloid to sound like that.  My first mistake was not researching how to record properly.

Then I got OREMO and made a few betas of a CV bank.

I got decent reception from that, and then around the time I began making KEI-ish style art for Kenji's design, which is now obsolete for reasons we'll get into later.

Somewhere inbetween beta 1 and CV ACT 1, I changed Kenji's last name to "Baionoto" and learned how to properly write it in kanji.  I also changed his design to become A.  More werewolf-y (He had nothing to prove being such a race), and B.  More role-model-y.  (He has my body type, however he looks much more physically fit than I do.)  During the recording of ACT 1 CV, I also recorded the VCV samples, so they would sound good when combined into the final ACT 1 VCV.  Release the VCV bank, and suddenly spaz attacks from multiple persons, one fonder memory being Halo's reaction, making Kenji sing Beautiful World originally by Utada Hikaru (at least a sample of it) and a song that I don't remember the name of whichHalostillneedstofinish.

Uhhh... then tenth grade, late in the school year, started recording ACT 2 CV, and by my birthday (7/11, also his birthday as most aspects of him are actually based or copied straight off of mine) I had the first ACT 2 CV Open Beta up.  With my recent (3-4 weeks ago) cover of Hurting for a Very Hurtful Pain, the Open Beta was updated.

When I was young, acquired affinity for wolves by taking care of one.  8th grade got into VOCALOID.  9th grade joined community, got random hairstyle, drew self-insert design based off it which was a werewolf and role-model for me, got into UTAU, recorded and programmed ACT 1 (CV and VCV), redesigned Kenji and acquired a new last name.  Late 10th grade recorded ACT 2 CV.  Pre-11th grade, on my birthday, released ACT 2 CV Open Beta.  3-4 weeks ago at time of writing, updated said open beta.

And that's how I came up with my UTAU and a short history. XD

ScuroKun

Teto's Territory
My UTAU came from some inside joke I had with my friends from when I was 10 or something xD;;; Hence the odd name. I had no idea what else to name it, so I just named it after this OC my friends and I had then.
I had actually wanted to make an UTAU for a while, probably since I first heard about it in around 2009. I finally made one in the summer of 2010, Rocket4, and her voice originally was REALLY nasally and awkward lol. So then I made her 2 more acts after that and 2 more appends. And... I guess she's better now?

Berin

Momo's Minion
I heard of UTAU and suddenly felt the urge to make my own =w= I didn't have an own microphone so I borrowed a headset from my school.
I wanted her design to be unique; it should stand out. So I went to Vocaloidotaku and read the whole "What don't you like about the UTAU fandom" thread before I made her design xD
At that time, i was reading Kaori Yuki's "The royal doll Orchestra" and got totally inspired by her. I loved the fact that her characters were named after minerals and gems and I loved their clothing *.* So I named my UTAU Beryll Heliodora after a mineral and gave her a lolita-esqe design. I don't exactly know how to call that style xD After that I tried to give her a character that fits her design, so she's an arrogant and spoiled girlie now xD