UTAUloid vs UTAU

Do you call an UTAU voicebanks "UTAUloid" or "UTAU"?

• Total voters

Maybe2Morrow

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Depends. If I talk to friends or feel like it is nercessary to point out - then I say UTAUloid.

But If it is general use in the community do I say UTAU...despite when I say UTAU has it done to be UTAUs. Apparently I only say UTAU when I talk about the group of UTAUs...

Reactions: lunavi

Cdra

possibly dead
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
While it isn't fair to be mean to users for using "UTAUloid", it is one of those terms that really doesn't make sense -- as some users have pointed out, it's a callback to Vocaloid, and there is no "loid" anywhere in using UTAU other than drawing from Vocaloid. And as UTAU is not Vocaloid, merely inspired by it, we should probably not be using their terminology in such a way.

VIPPERloids have an excuse -- they are, at their origins, troll Vocaloids, and thus they have every reason to use the nomenclature to troll even harder. However, for the rest of us, we should probably evade the term "UTAUloid" -- call them whatever else you want. UTAU, UTAU voicebanks, voicebanks, VBs, for a while I had a running gag about calling them "flargs" -- just, UTAUloid is one of those name conventions we should learn to avoid as a community, I think. Like "ACT" for voicebank versions.

Many newcomers do this -- I probably did as well -- so again, I would hardly be mean to someone for using it, but it's not a bad idea to think about reasons not to use it.

luiysia

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
i use "utau" for all the reasons listed here (also utauloid is kind of a gross-sounding word) but I wish there was a better one-word term that meant specifically utau voicebank that was as transparent, short, and widely-understood. so i understand why someone would use utauloid.

funny that this language difference is a kind of shibboleth in this community, I never really noticed it much before.

eternalNoob

Teto's Territory
i just use utau because its shorter to type. but sometimes when explaining the history of vocaloid or whatever to other people (read: imaginary friends) i say "theres this free version of vocaloid called utau. some people used to call them utauloids for some reason tho idk why" thats the only time i used the -loid at the end.

Reactions: kimchi-tan

VoicelessPuppeteer

Teto's Territory
I use UTAU, Voicebank, and Utauloid interchangeably. Though, maybe I'm biased in this mindset because I was introduced to them as "utauloids".
I just don't see all the Hullabaloo about the naming convention. *shrug*

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I use UTAU, Voicebank, and Utauloid interchangeably. Though, maybe I'm biased in this mindset because I was introduced to them as "utauloids".
I just don't see all the Hullabaloo about the naming convention. *shrug*

Ah, so you met someone who didn't know what they were talking about. Welcome to the UTAU community proper. We say "UTAU".

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
Ah, so you met someone who didn't know what they were talking about. Welcome to the UTAU community proper. We say "UTAU".
Alternatively, we call them "utsus" as a joke on how UTAU is frequently misspelled as :P

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
utauloid seems more like "I wanna make my own vocaloid"-esque. Also tbh it looks really ugly as a word when it comes to graphic design and stuff.
I personally call them "Utau" or "Utaᴜs" casually and "Utau Voicebanks" more formally.

Last edited:

lunavi

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko

Is this sarcasm left to fend for itself, without anything to indicate what it is? I want it to be sarcasm, because otherwise, there's enough condescension in those three sentences to drown a horse. (Artax, nooooo...)

utauloid seems more like "I wanna make my own vocaloid"-esque. .

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, UTAU came after Vocaloid, and majorly inspired by it. That said, (thinking out loud, here): isn't the existence of UTAU itself a means of allowing people to create their own library for a vocal synth engine? In that case, is there actually something wrong with "I wanna make my own Vocaloid," or is the cringe-factor a knee-jerk reaction like Yamaha being ashamed about the fact that Vocaloid's primary audience seems to be otaku? Seeing as UTAU likely wouldn't exist if Vocaloid hadn't come to be, doesn't the existence of the term seem more appropriate in that context?

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
it's more of a cringe factor, because that general mindset means you're not really taking it seriously and just want popularity half the time.
It depends.

lunavi

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
...not really taking it seriously? Looking at what is deemed right now to be the pinnacle of vocal synth and wanting to make something of quality on par with that isn't taking it seriously? Are you one of those people who despises VCV and multipitch, and recordings that are clear and don't sound like they were made on the freeway? //poorly thought-out and unrecognizable sarcasm

I'm not really sure why people have come to the conclusion that people who use "UTAUloid" are just trying to elevate their voicebank to Miku/wannabe Vocaloid status, but to be frank, I think that's an ugly judgement to make about a stranger's motivations -- especially if that assumption is based solely on their usage of a derivative of a word. More so, considering there have been (I feel) plenty of perfectly good and valid reasons for using it already mentioned above. At best, it's small-minded, and at worst, it's arrogant and condescending. If there are other things about the creator and their creation that give that impression, that's different, but the simple usage of the word "UTAUloid" should not be the shibboleth that automatically relegates people to the pile of popularity-seeking hacks.

Last edited:

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Not at all. Multipitch and clean recordings are an important aspect of recording a great voice. I am probably one of the people who advise that the hardest. Please don't make wild assumptions and insults about someone over one unrelated opinion please.

Just the attitude with "making a vocaloid" can be childish. Also if you say someone's voice is "vocaloid quality" there is a good chance they will take offense to it.

It's just the stigma against it. It's not my fault that that's how many see it and it became that way for a reason.

Tomato Hentai

dont call me a veggie
Defender of Defoko
Not at all. Multipitch and clean recordings are an important aspect of recording a great voice. I am probably one of the people who advise that the hardest. Please don't make wild assumptions about someone over one unrelated opinion please.

Just the attitude with "making a vocaloid" can be childish. Also if you say someone's voice is "vocaloid quality" there is a good chance they will take offense to it.

It's just the stigma against it. It's not my fault that that's how many see it and it's seen that way for a reason.
I personally wouldn't take offense to my UTAU being called "VOCALOID quality" (if I had one yet,) but rather I would find it insulting as the quality of most VOCALOID voicebanks just isn't all that great. And me describing it like that instead of something else is me being nice.

RaccoonButler

Founder of The Church of Mawarine Shuu
Defender of Defoko
I guess since UTAUloid is a parallel to Vocaloid and exists to point out their similarities, the usage of the word makes it seem as though you are unaware of the differences between the two.

Of course that's not necessarily true, but the redundancy and reference to vocaloid just reeks of 2008ism, y'know what I'm sayin'

I can see why some people still say it but it probably reminds people of their early utau days

lunavi

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Not at all. Multipitch and clean recordings are an important aspect of recording a great voice. I am probably one of the people who advise that the hardest. Please don't make wild assumptions and insults about someone over one unrelated opinion please.

It's just the stigma against it. It's not my fault that that's how many see it and it became that way for a reason.

*shrug* Of course they are. I'm not making wild assumptions and insults -- if it came off that way, I apologize. I typically try to make sure my sarcasm is accurately labeled, so I'll go back to revise my previous post to make sure it's clear. I keep seeing in places where people have been complaining and sighing for the old, chunky CV days, and your post kind of made me think of that. Not that I actually assumed that about you, but it was what came to mind with the "not taking it seriously" remark.

I guess I don't really see how it's childish. I also don't know why anyone would take offense to someone saying their voice is "Vocaloid quality," seeing how good and clear Vocaloid can sound when the person using it actually gives a damn and tries, but to each his own.

Just because "that's how it is" doesn't make anything right. I also don't believe I implied that it was your fault. There have been a few different threads (some less polite than yours) that also suggested the same "it's just someone trying to get to Vocaloid status" implication from use of "UTAUloid."

I guess since UTAUloid is a parallel to Vocaloid and exists to point out their similarities, the usage of the word makes it seem as though you are unaware of the differences between the two.

Of course that's not necessarily true, but the redundancy and reference to vocaloid just reeks of 2008ism, y'know what I'm sayin'

I can see why some people still say it but it probably reminds people of their early utau days

I don't really see how using UTAUloid makes it seem like people are unaware of the differences between UTAU and Vocaloid, but since nobody seems to be able to supply an answer beyond "it's childish" and "ew noob" and "nobody who knows what they're talking about says that" when clearly many people can read the word and know exactly what the person who said it was referring to, but... eh, whatever. *shrug* I wouldn't be surprised at all if 90% of the cringe-factor of "UTAUloid" comes from people being reminded of their early efforts and shuddering like they just rediscovered the fanfiction they wrote when they were 12. The thing is, people keep talking about their early efforts like they're something to be ashamed of, when -- unless those efforts stemmed from something absolutely egregious like character or voice theft -- they're not. It's like looking at a video of your first steps as a baby and being all "OMG, that was so terrible, nonononono, why couldn't I have done that better? Damn my inability to master my center of gravity!!" And I say this as a recovering anxiety-suffering perfectionist.

I'll just say this. The whole "ew noob" and "nobody who knows what they're talking about says that" thing rubs me the wrong way, because in my ears, it rings of an above-thou attitude that can be really, really unfortunate in any community. It's probably just me, and if that's not how some of the posts in this thread were intended to come off, wonderful. Sorry if I upset anyone, I certainly wasn't trying to insult or offend.

Last edited:

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
As the creator of this thread, I am already satisfied with the responses. As a moderator, I humbly ask you guys to please drop the current issue.

Should this persist any longer, I will have to consider locking this thread. The poll should be still up for those who would want to vote.