UTAU Usage Policy
UTAU Software Usage Policy
- THE PROGRAM UTAU CANNOT BE SOLD.
It is freeware. However, a shareware version is available by donation to Ameya/Ayame. In Japan, UTAU is classified as a shareware; however, the benefits of the paid version are additional features, and the freely-distributed version is not crippled in any way. Either versions can be used to normally create, configure and publish voicebanks and voice rendering.
- THE REDISTRIBUTION OF UTAU, WHETHER IN PART OR THE COMPLETE SOFTWARE, IS FORBIDDEN WITHOUT PERMISSION.
Do not upload UTAU or its components to file sharing sites like MediaFire, Rapidshare, etc. This includes Defoko's voicebank. Exceptions are v0.1.75 and downwards.
- UTAU should not be used to synthesize anything derogatory, be it towards race, creed or policy.
- Do not synthesize racist songs or speech. You will be shot down even if this policy isn't enforced. This includes the UTAU character/personality attached to the voicebank.
- Do not synthesize any song or speech that will cause major outcry or protest unless it is purely artistic.
- Do not synthesize (publicly) any song or speech with sexual content. If you do, make appropriate warnings first, and to be sure, seek the voice provider's permission first.
- Do not synthesize any song or speech that promotes anarchy, violation of policies, or anything blasphemous.
- While UTAU itself does not forbid political or religious songs to be made, some voice providers may forbid the use of their voicebanks for these purposes, except for well-known works (prevailing carols or chants). If you are unsure for each voice source, avoid creating these songs, and/or seek permission first.
- Do not import voicebanks from other voice synthesis softwares without permission.
- You can't make voicebanks out of existing softwares like Vocaloid. Yamaha, as well as the third-party companies that produce Vocaloid voices, forbid this kind of activity.
- You can't make voicebanks out of voice speech/synthesis softwares unless they give you permission. This includes voicebanks based on Microsoft SAM, and others.
- Reverse-engineering of UTAU in any form or kind is forbidden.
- Do not record voicebanks of an individual (defined as a nobody, a typical person) without their consent.
- Do not record voicebanks of a popular figure such as (but not limited to) showbiz figures, politicians and other singers, without their consent.
It is seen to be a danger to the program's survival, making the program, its author, and those who recorded it highly susceptible to lawsuits and legal action (Examples: Shakira, Megumi Nakajima)
- Policies for UTAU concerning pornagraphic content may vary depending on the voicebank authors, please see each individual UTAU's terms for full details.
As an example, Crypton Future Media discourages any pornographic, "hentai" or risque depiction (in fanarts) of its Character Vocal Series, but it is generally not forbidden (except for physical and commercial merchandises).