(Beginner UST) So this sounds... bad. How do I fix it?

autumnstwilight

Momo's Minion
Hi,

So I like fan songs and translating lyrics and would like to use UTAU to create demos. I may have decided to dive in at the deep end here, but I spent a good chunk of yesterday trying to get UTAU and a voicebank working, figuring out what stuff means and does, etc. I'm using an Arpasing voicebank (KYE) since he sounded the best for male English (and most of the alternatives also seem to be Arpasing). Unfortunately, there seem to be very few tutorials with Arpasing voicebanks.

Anyway, I've been tinkering with the first couple of lines of a song, just trying to get the lyrics smooth (no tuning yet). Unfortunately, there are a lot of unpleasant noises coming through, buzzing, computer tones, etc.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/821594072069832704/821594242202992651/fail.mp4
^ hopefully this link will work
Lyric: "Whatever price is to be paid"

The "s" at the end of "price" has a buzz to it, and the vowel in "paid" is an unpleasant electronic tone, for example.
Can anyone give me an overview of what causes these noises and how to minimize them?

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
If you haven't already seen it, this is the arpasing website: https://arpasing.neocities.org

Select all the notes, right click, and go to region properties. Make sure it looks something like this:
1615955571253.png
ie. Intensity 100%, Modulation 0%, all the other boxes blank.
Once you do so, use the buttons in the toolbar to reset and crossfade the envelopes using P2P3. This should fix the timing and smooth out the transitions between notes.

Do note that arpasing lyrics are input as units of 2 phonemes. The first phoneme is a transitional sound to connect it to the previous note, and the second phoneme is the main phoneme for that particular note.
For example, with the word "whatever" you seem to be mentally breaking it down as "what-ev-er" and trying to input [eh v] to get an extended "eeeeeev" sound. However, the lyric [eh v] indicates that "eh" is the transitional phoneme, and "v" is the main phoneme. To extend the "eh" sound you need a [t eh] note.