HELP with making MALE Utau

Akitoru

Momo's Minion
Hi!
Im new here. My name is Akitoru. Nice to meet You. :smile:
So... I'm making male UTAU and i have a problem. Im 14 years old, but i dont sound like a boy... My voice is unsexual, i think. I have request to you: Can You help make my voice male? Here is my sample: https://www.mediafire.com/?mo57re2p9m6orm0 You can use what you want: flags, Audacity etc. Just tell me instructions...
Thank for help :smile: Bye!

F

Fuutari Makku

Well , you could use Audacity to get a lower tone. I have the italian version of Audacity (because I'm italian). You should go in Effects/Change Tone (or something like that) and you can get the tone lower as you want! I hope this reply helped you and sorry for my bad english! As I just said I'm italian , so you can't expect me to know english so much.

Sylveranty

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I'd say the same as cavallo. Audacity is pretty good for that.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/5dlwkrrdt815d8k/test%20pitch%20change.rar

I changed the tone in different half-steps (-1 to -3) so you can hear the difference. You can try using lower numbers like -3,5 or -4,5 or so (and of course uneven numbers are okay, too) and you have to see for yourself with what sound you are happy.
And I know this was just a test, but I want to make sure that you know that it is recommended to record in mono and not in stereo for UTAU.

Akitoru

Momo's Minion
Thanx for helping but when i add this sounds to UTAU i still sound like a women, I think... Its really strange voice :sad:
@Sylveranty Thanx, that you say about mono and stereo :smile:

Sylveranty

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Hmm..
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/1a8noww9g9hskaa/Random%20Circus%20Monster%20Akitoru.wav <-- this is a part of Circus Monster with randomly inserted syllables that I got from your test.
I don't think it sounds female with the changed pitch -3 at all (I tested only that).

Akitoru

Momo's Minion
@Sylveranty Oh... I just LOVE you! Yeah that's it! So i just only record in mono and then change half-step to -3? Is there anything else you have done? Do you use different resampler? Thank for help :*

Sylveranty

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Yep, mono recording and a pitch change of -3. It should work that way. I used the default resampler for that test.
If you have any questions regarding pronounciation, oto or anything else, you can always ask me or anyone else here on UTAforum :smile:

But what I'm curious about: You said you tried out your recordings in UTAU and they still sounded quite high. What pitch change setting did you use? And in what range did you play your sample? If it was C4-C5 it's no wonder it sounded high / female-ish. Male UTAUs are normally used in the C3-C4 range or a bit into C2-C3.

Sylveranty

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
You see the piano roll on the left side of UTAU, right? If you hoover over it with the mouse it gives you the name of the selected note. C1, C2 etc are marked as an orienation. You can select an amount of notes per hand or simply Ctrl+A (or Edit->Select All), that way you select everything in the UST. Then Edit->Move Region by Number and you can enter the steps you want the selection to be moved. An octave consists of 12 steps. You should always move a selection with 12 or multiplicators of 12.
If you want the UST to be an octave deeper so it fits the range of your UTAU better, then you move it by -12. If you want it to be an octave higher you move it by 12.

An UST that was made for a female UTAU in mind is normally in the range around C4 to C5. A male UTAU has a deeper voice and needs a deeper range, so the notes of the UST need to be moved an octave down.

And this was probably complicated. I'm sorry.

Akitoru

Momo's Minion
I'm sooooo glad that i could talk with you, now i understand everything :smile: Thanx a lot :D