how can i record a voicebank that sounds good?

amaterasu miya

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
well
i have recorded voicebanks in the past
but
i'm not proud of their overall sound
i want to record another UTAU, but, how do i make it sound good so that people would want to listen to and use it? and how can i make it stand out? (like design wise and voice wise)
like, there are CV voicebanks recorded with laptop mic's, but people still use them (like my friends UTAU, chusei michi)
my other voicebanks are quite....screechy?
thats because of my actual voice, it's quite screechy and nasally, so, how do i put on a good sounding voice?

thank you :3

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
RE:

What do you use as a mic? a really crap mic will make anything sound bad.
Voicebanks don't generally stand out unless you do many decent quality covers/examples and get recognized...

generally, even really high/nasal voices have places to be and songs that fit.
You could try to raise your soft pallet when recording...but then it may not sound like you...

songzombie

Momo's Minion
RE:

From what I can remember from the things I've read on UtaForum (before they were wiped)...
- For clearer/HQ singing, make sure there's no background noises when you record
- A better mic, though you can pass on this one if you don't have the funds. I think there's some old versions of UtaForum with some information on what sort of mic you'll want...
- Don't record in an echo-y room
- If you don't want the UTAU to sound like you, you need to voice act (which might strain your throat, which is bad). Maybe you could do a soft voice if you find yourself sounding screechy?
- Record consistently. Do all the samples on the same pitch.
- Make sure you make an oto.ini file so that your UTAU sings the samples on time (you can request for people to do it for you though some people charge a small fee). Many people will avoid a voicebank without an oto file no matter how good the samples are.

I shouldn't be advising people on no sleep, lol.
What don't you like about the sound of your older voicebanks? Maybe we can help more if you gave us a better description.

amaterasu miya

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
RE:

songzombie said:
From what I can remember from the things I've read on UtaForum (before they were wiped)...
- For clearer/HQ singing, make sure there's no background noises when you record
- A better mic, though you can pass on this one if you don't have the funds. I think there's some old versions of UtaForum with some information on what sort of mic you'll want...
- Don't record in an echo-y room
- If you don't want the UTAU to sound like you, you need to voice act (which might strain your throat, which is bad). Maybe you could do a soft voice if you find yourself sounding screechy?
- Record consistently. Do all the samples on the same pitch.
- Make sure you make an oto.ini file so that your UTAU sings the samples on time (you can request for people to do it for you though some people charge a small fee). Many people will avoid a voicebank without an oto file no matter how good the samples are.

I shouldn't be advising people on no sleep, lol.
What don't you like about the sound of your older voicebanks? Maybe we can help more if you gave us a better description.

well, i'm quite proud of the voicebank that i recorded for Amaterasu Kaede, its just Miya that ...sounds a little odd xD
https://soundcloud.com/miya-the-matryoshka/miya-donut-hole-vocals

thats how she sounds (i think it's partially my strong accent)

though i did try recording a softer voicebank and trying my best to mask my ridiculous sounding accent

https://soundcloud.com/miya-the-matryoshka/unnamed-utau-tokyo-teddy-bear