How did you get into the UTAU Fandom?

moonst4r

Witch of the Night
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
What the title says, how did you get into the UTAU fandom?

Me:
I was a Vocaloid fan that happened to come across an UTAU video. The first one was with Teto, I think it was "Kasane Territory". I listened to more UTAU and sadly came across ones that were un-otoed and had art that was traced. I stayed away from UTAU for a while. Then I listened to some more later on and found great UTAU that were actually otoed and sounded nice! I tried to use UTAU, but my computer couldn't run the program even after I changed the locale. I upgraded to Windows 7 later on and was able to use the program and create my own UTAU. I wanted help so I joined the old UTAForum so I can ask more experienced users to help me. Eventually I got comfortable with the fandom, even though I was shy at first and was intimidated by it. So yeah... that's it.

Angel

Momo's Minion
I go into the fandom, by viewing Teto, Defoko and Momo (Through Teto's Territory) and saw some tutorials on YT. I couldn't make an UTAU, so over the years I praticed until I could make one. My first UTAU I download was Ritsu. And I love his voice ever since <3

Cdra

possibly dead
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Last summer, I learned that VOCALOID, contrary to my rather narrow-minded idea of the matter, didn't sound robotic and horrible and could actually be fabulous.  Inevitably, I bumbled into Teto while I was exploring VOCALOID.  I didn't really like her voice, but she sounded good regardless.  Through Teto I stumbled into Ted.  HOOBOY.  I started basically stalking Azuralunar because she made such nice UTAU and VOCALOID songs.  <3  I have like all her mp3s on my iPod.  Somehow I put together that UTAU was a free program and you could make a voicebank, so I was like, awesome.  I started looking up tutorials--not for me, but for my sister Generic.  Generic cosplays a hella-cute Teto, by the way.  She also has a lovely singing voice, so I wanted her to make a voicebank.  When I figured out it was really about being able to carry a consistent note, not be able to sing, I decided to make one too--to harmonize with her, because we make a great harmony pair.

It took me a few months to get half-decent at this stuff, though I can say I never tried to use a voicebank without an oto, thanks to so many tutorials.  I joined the overseas-utafest group on dA right off the bat, and then eventually got the courage to join the forum.  Then I lurked for a few months, then came back and was like OKAY.  I'M GOING TO ACTUALLY DO THIS.  Now I just half-lurk and post every once and a while.

After I got relatively decent at Japanese, I started seriously itching to make my UTAU sing in English.  I got majorly into the Engloid fandom (and I have Big Al now <33) and somehow managed to find Skyisland's and Cz's videos.  And so, given that the reclist wasn't released, I wrote my own CV VC English reclist (why not?  I had tried this before with poor results) and it wasn't horrible, just I -accidentally- recorded it on a laptop mic so it was buzzy and gross.  Then Cz found me and adopted me.  Now I'm doing CV VCs and VCVs and just generally whatever sounds like a good idea at the moment.  And I keep meeting fantastic people! <3  I'm still a bit of a nooblet, so I hope to continue to grow here!

Blaze

Momo's Minion
It's all my friend Kitty's fault. 

Although I suppose it started in 09 when Anime club performed Melt during the multicultural assembly.  I was like "what is Vocaloid?  Is it an anime?" I basically thought it was Glee: The anime.  So I looked it up and of course the wikipedia article does not do it justice.  I realized it was a program that cost money and I was like "w/e then" and promptly forget about it until that summer when I saw Kitty posting this:

【UTAU】MELTDOWN Koneko Chikara 【act1】

Cue an intense revival of our friendship, and an intense exploration into UTAU.  She told me how to record, and I sent my bank to her to configure, and so Kaen was born on July 4th:

Kaen Shujoteki: Under the Darkness 【UTAU】

And then somehow we began to not suck.  Not sure how that happened.

/endnostalgiatrip

Dark3li

Teto's Territory
I got into UTAU and vocaloid at the same time because of Miku (world is mine) and Teto (popipo, I love her version *^*)
I started using it last year >w< and now I'm addicted to it xD

aplusod

Teto's Territory
About two and a half years ago, when I had just gotten into VOCALOID, I found that Honey Namaue All Stars (I think) that had Teto there or something. I remember reading the comments saying it should have all the UTAUs, listing Luna, Momo, Mako, and Defoko (I think). It confused me enough so that I Google'd it and learned it wasn't VOCALOID and stuff.
And then I would have joined right then, if it hadn't been for the fact I didn't have a mic.
So half a year later, I found an older mic in our basement and was like "Hey I can make one of those UTAUloid things with this" and began there.
Although I didn't really join the fandom until March/April that year since my computer went kaflooy (how do you spell that) and I didn't have the language files. And then when I got Win7, found the fandom via Googling how to do stuff... =w=b

Mayuen

Momo's Minion
I don't remember anymore actually ^^'
But I think stalking around Vocaloid made me find UTAU, failed at making it work at first but then tried again last year and made it work and created Saga and joined the UTAforum.

Yup.

faerimagic

Ruko's Ruffians
The thing I'm happy about was that the first Vocaloid song I ever heard was NOT by Hatsune Miku. It was by Megurine Luka and it was DYE by AVTechno. I actually thought Miku was art of an anime, the way she was advertised on the various Tinerme and other such ads. Never got interested to researching what Vocaloid was.
Until Luka's DYE.
My sister told me it was a robot singing, and it was then I became a Vocaloid Addict.

Strangely, I saw Teto pop up here and there on my deviantwatch messages, but always thought she was a Vocaloid.
The first UTAU I heard was I think...Fuuga Fubuki. I really don't know much about her, she doesn't have a wiki page, so I'm guessing she's from Japan.
I was searching (for some reason) for Eternal Force Blizzard (E.F.B.) and by chance landed on Fuuga's cover. She sounded really nice.
Started researching on Vocaloid and UTAU.

Then downloaded UTAU. (During the summer.)
Started planning multiple UTAU characters. (Now I have eight, lol orz.)
I actually started making my first UTAU this month. Before, I just played around with Defoko (I have Teto, but never really used her yet).
And there you have it.

I'm kinda happy about the fact that what introduced me to both fandoms were not the super popular characters, but they were semi-popular, or not even well known at all.

stormylullaby

Always Watching You
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Basically how everyone found out about it...Triple Baka, then "lol whose Teto", then came Ruko, who I confused for a pitchloid of Miku at first, then fell in love with her voice. Then came the extensive researching that I like to do when I find a new fandom. It kinda just spiraled from there. Next thing I knew, I was on the download site for UTAU & was about to extract the ZIP file...I found it quite addicting.

Dagnie

Teto's Territory
Mollie introduced me to UTAUloids after I got her hooked on Vocaloids. I didn't actually bother to get her help making an UTAUloid until years later because I was... really bored. ;;

Aaaaaand then I actually /entered/ the fandom a bit, like, a week ago because I realized I need to stop being a wimp and make friends if I want my UTAUloids to be heard even a few times. v///v

Ono

Teto's Territory
I saw the "Make your own Utau" after scrollin' around for some Vocaloid videos, specifically Len, and checked it out. First time around confused the hell out of me and I raged'quit when it sounded like crap. x'D But I came around a second time and finally got things set up. 

Misha

Momo's Minion
Found out about Vocaloid, then ignored it because I thought the premise was stupid and Miku had annoying voice. A few months later I heard a FABULOUS Meiko song ( I believe Love is War? ) and fell in love. Started getting used to the Vocaloid sound and excited about it. I wanted to know if there was a MAC alternative, and found Nana. I found she could work in UTAU and i was like... what is that. I looked it up, made Hachi the same night :wink:

scarfu

Teto's Territory
For me it's kind of a weird story, haha!

Okay so back in the day, Taiwonton (the creator of the other 3 POPLOIDS) and I roleplayed a lot on Gaiaonline? And you'd need to have like pictures of your characters for the sign up sheet and the graphics and stuff, and she and I were on pixiv searching for pictures for characters. I have a really intense love for characters with facial hair, and she finds this really cute character with a goatee and so she sends it to me knowing this, and holy crap I just fell in love with him INSTANTLY. This character turned out to be the UTAU Yoshiki Roku, and so I did some investigation.

I had been vaguely aware of UTAU, because I was a Vocaloid fan and I knew about Teto and stuff, but I never really knew like, outside of that? But I researched Roku, found out he was an UTAU, and decided I'd download the program and experiment and make him sing. For a long time, I only played with UTAU voices like Roku, Rozen, LOKE and Ritsu Namine, but then finally Roku's creator had found the videos I had made with Roku and he contacted me! Now he only speaks Japanese, and at the time my Japanese was even worse than it currently is, so the language barrier was really incredible orz; But disregarding that, he was really supportive of me, and he urged me to make my own UTAU, and so I did--I made Hayari.

After Hayari was made, Roku's creator was INSANELY supportive of her--he drew a lot of art of her, he even used her right away, and I was so flattered and excited! So at that time, I roped Taiwonton and SereneHeaven (Pina Kumone's creator), who are both IRL friends of mine who lived in the same town, to record UTAU with me too. They weren't really excited about it at first, but as we continued, we got really really involved in the UTAU community...

Tai and I made twitters to talk to Roku's creator and his associate, but after a while, overseas users started following us there too, and we made a lot of friends! Here I am a bit over two years later still going strong and I'm really glad to be here <3

Astral-Arts

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Oh god, this feels like it was so long ago. xD Lets see...

Two years ago I was searching around deviantart for something that seemed interesting. I was an ex-narutard who desparatly wanted something to draw so I could get better at my skills. I ended up running into this picture: [hs width=300 height=200]http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs44/f/2009/145/1/a/Zuii_Takoe___Meltdown_style__by_SingingRobotStalker.jpg[/hs]
I thought it was a cute outfit, and ended up listening to all of Zuii's songs. After that I ended up doing some research and making the first version of Amagaku (who was actually named Amaine at the time), which looked like this:
[hs width=220 height=300]http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs50/i/2009/302/a/b/Sunset_by_Kumiko_Aki.png[/hs] I'm so glad I can draw better than that now, OTL. And at that point, she had no oto or anything. Eventually someone ended up doing her oto for her, but after that I made Act 2 with my own made oto because I wanted to get better at using the program, and eventually I ended up here. xD I made so many great friends along the way, like Lulu, Kiki, Erin, Panda, and many many others. Now I have more than one UTAU, that I created with my IRL friend CeCe, and I have two more with other friends planned. ^_^

Iscabird

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I heard about it from a now close friend of mine about a month before Luka was first released, but the rest I can't remember. Strangely enough, I can remember that the original UTAU forum used to be blue at first. xD

UtauYork

Teto's Territory
I got into the UTAU fandom about right after I got into the Vocaloid one. One week I'm browsing through some songs sung by Luka, like The Little Mermaid and Virgo, and the next I'm watching all these Teto and Ted videos. 

ouo;

After about a month of watching all these videos and learning about Vocaloid through comments on Youtube, I finally googled it and learned more. I knew that you could make an UTAU, but didn't start that until around last summer when I got really bored. I gave up the first time, but then I started to learn how to record and use the UTAU program. That was about the only thing, so about 4 failed attempts at making an UTAU followed suit. xD;

Deska

Momo's Minion
I got into Vocaloid about two months before YoumaCon 2010. I met StateOfDep there and got along with her (and learned we go to the same school. Haha.) o3o
So by then I had heard of UTAU and since Dep was into it, I thought I'd give it a try. o3o

Illisandria Carthain

Momo's Minion
I saw some Vocaloid songs back in my Japanophile phase and thought "Well this is weird..." and listened to some more (It all started with Len's "Prisoner" and only branched out to the Kagamine twins at the time). I lost interest soon after and didn't touch it again for another two years when I really got into it. That's when my Vocaloid phase kicked off.

I ran into Teto once or twice as well as Neko and Ted but always thought they were Vocaloids (cause I didn't do too much research on it).

Then, one day after searching up Vocaloid stuff, I figured "This is expensive...I wonder if there's a freeware version of this somewhere?" And BOOM! UTAU was introduced.

Nair Harmonia was my first UTAUloid and she took me three moths to record and one week to get out after that. Garbage she was. So I looked up some tips, downloaded some more VBs, and learned and tried again. Thusly the passion for making a good UTAUloid was born.

Now I'm working on making an English-based UTAUloid of my own, using my own reclist. Slowly it is happening.

IrisFlower

Precious Flower with Thorns
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Well let's see..

Of course it all started with Vocaloid and the whole "What anime is this?" jazz. Learned it was a singing program and fell in love with Luka and her Toeto -nod- So, while looking up Toeto choruses and vids and lyrics I found all these UTAU covers and was like "Well wtf is this UTAU?" Did some serious research and found out I could make my own! Stumbled upon a certain someones tutorials and tried it out for myself and failed. Failed miserably because it sounded awful.

But I kept trying and eventually my first UTAU, Murasaki Yorune, was born. Naturally at the time I thought she sounded fantastic! I was like, "Yeeeah! This is going to be awesome!" Yeah no...really she was terrible and I was only fooling myself into believing otherwise.
Her oto was pathetic. Her design was a HUGE Crypton rip off because I thought that's what you had to do. All of the UTAU I saw were all Miku-y so I did the same, her only distinguishing features being her giant ribbon and yellow boots. And her name...all the UTAU I had found had those Japanese names that meant something and I thought purple night sound was pretty cute so I did it. Her art was also half assed...but no really.

I thought she sounded pretty good at the time and I enjoyed using her but eventually I realized I was wasn't getting anywhere with her and quit. My last song with her I believe was I'll Quit Singing and lo and behold...I did quit UTAU. Go figure, right?

That was back somewhere in between February and March. I quit and yet I never uninstalled UTAU...during my Summer break in June I had no cable because the bill wasn't paid...and had nothing to do. So I get on the computer and see the UTAU program. And think, "WTH...ain't got nothing else to do with my time." So I bring up Murasaki's bank and I find these old notes on oto.ini-ing that I had written and get to work...and BAM! She sounded pretty good...her pronunciation was just off. So I rerecorded a few sounds and WHAM! She sounded a looot better. But...I didn't want her and her weaboo-ish styles and ways sticking around so I made a new voice folder, moved(copy pasta) her sounds into that one and came up with another name that wasn't even Japanese: Iris Libra. Why?

I like irises~ They're my favorite flower. And...I just so happen to be a Libra XD The scales baby~ That's where her name comes from. I then put together a WAY better design and a debut video, made her sing some songs(Toeto of all things lol It was Murasaki's debut vid too)~ Once we got cable back I made a new Youtube account and posted them as well as some art on my dA. Joined the forums so I could meet new people...

And here I am today. Little did I know Iris would actually get...ya know...fans. And people would actually use her. And the LAST thing I thought about was having her paired with somebody holy shrimp I was not expecting that rofl XD Good times~ Good times~

tl;dr Luka Toeto->UTAU Toeto->Make fail UTAU->Rage quit->Come back->Iris->Happy now

MystSaphyr

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
I used to be really into the Japanese MADs and parody/hand-drawn animation fandom xD I was actually browsing and reprinting Nico videos back in 2008-2009 and it was around May 2009 I started running into anime-character parodies of Miku's "Ievan Polkka." After looking for the source/original, I found Miku's video on Youtube, and in the description it mentioned that she was not a human singer. I got interested in Vocaloid and started poking around. Found "Melt" soon after, and fell in love with that song, then started browsing for covers. I discovered UTAU through Takoe Zuii's cover of "Melt" and I was pretty intrigued :D

I'd already drawn a fanmade Vocaloid, "Hazuru Sora," since I was on VO at the time and Crypton-style fanloids were still fairly popular. Sora's model at the time was Hiiragi Fuyu, another Crypton-esque fanmade design, so Sora of course still had the tie and belt and pink number tattoo and all. Once I discovered what UTAU really was, I started researching how to go about getting Sora a voicebank. I found SRS's tutorials, found the UTAU-Dreams forum through SRS mentioning HatsuneMikuVocaloid2/Cien in the "Melt" video description, and Hazuru Sora soon became Kikyuune Aiko :uhuhu: