How did you get into the UTAU Fandom?

DianaTan

Teto's Territory
urhg... I can't really remember anymore
But I think my first song I heard with UTAU was a Rolling Girl cover of Luna (YES no Kasane Territory /shot) and I really liked her voice
As days passed I found more covers of UTAUs and I found a YT channel with a tutorial
BAM! - the first design was made back in Summer 2010 (I have to say, some awful designs orz) and started making a voicebank (with some freaking annoying German accent) and I hated it so I left it, as it was for two months
Then my boyfriend forced me to do a voicebank which represents me without pitching (note/ the other was pitched higher) because he wanted to pair me up with his male voicebank he made, so Diana Kunikida was born (but again with that awful accent)
One day I re-recorded Dias voicebank AND there wasn't that accent so yeah, I was happy with it

★M3ROKA★

.Puri
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Wow, how long AGO was this, my memory isn't so good XDD Getting old des.

My passions of designing, making characters and interesting stories led me here I guess. I'm not so good at writing continuously (I'm more of a visual person). I was mostly a anime fan, K Pop, J rock and online games player, until I found a video of Miku, I fell in love with the picture. From there it was relentless research about it. (However Miku, I'm sorry, I don't feel the same any more, MEIKO stole my hearto) Somehow I found UTAU XDD I don't remember exactly how. These 3/4 years have been a BLURR XDD

I got into the fandom because it seemed fun! I found the old utaforum while looking up tutorials I believe, and joined sometime during early 2010? Of course the program was hard at first so I spent a year slowly figuring it out via trial and error, my UTAU was also a year in the making because I'm a perfectionist. If it doesn't sound good to me, it's not going out on public. During my time making Miss Saiya, I first was going to give her a japanese name, but then I was like "Ew, it really doesn't sound good." So scraped it and added Miss in front.

I had fun meeting new people, I think the people is what made me keep into UTAU mostly, thank you, I've learned a lot during my times UTAing XDD I also think I've matured as a person and an artist thanks to this fandom.

/totally coypasta -shot-

Obakebaka

Momo's Minion
This video:

スーパードルフィーが「Bad Apple!!」に合わせて踊る!

I've been into BJDs for a few years now and I checked out a link about a robotic one. I already knew about Vocaloids beforehand but I didn't know about UTAU. After this video I looked up the song and found covers by 'loids. Next thing I knew I was working on my own. Three months later I joined the Zetaboards forum. This isn't the first time I've been led to an almost unrelated fandom by the least usual method. I got into BJDs because I was a Sims 2 modder!

BTW, check out the other videos by that user. That remote controlled BJD has a Miku outfit.

Yue Nagareboshi

Senior Tutor
Senior Tutor
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
In my case, my first contact was with the "Kurutte Mawatte Ikkaiten" nendoroid video... I thought "ohh god, another mecha anime!" (MEIKO and KAITO outfits made me think it was a mecha anime) so I ignored them for a lot of time... but I loved the white haired girl.

While looking for Yowane Haku, I found about Kasane Teto and Camila Melodía... then I knew that video was not an anime stuff but a vocal synthetizer. Knew about VOCALOID and in shot of UTAU.

My first videos were SRS-tutorials who helped me to realize UTAU was a "do-it-by-yourself" program. So I learned from there. I also met the "non-nameable TEACHER" that soon I decided to quit her by personal reasons.

Then I found out that Camila's producer was not japanese but Puerto Rican. I tried to contact her and suddenly she introduced me into the community; mostly with Artemi and BV, who resulted that lived in the same city as me.

Yesi put me on course of making my UTAULOID, since there wasn't a lot of male ones back then. When I recorded the first time, I lost the VB due netbook malfunction. I re-recorded.... Yesi oto'd for me since I had no idea of how to do it. Then we released Yue on Yesi's channel and all ppl spazzed for the voice. XD;;;;

And that's how I got into the community. I started back on 2009 but released my first voicebank at 2010.

Y Ya Está.

Zoku

making doper vocaloid music than the rest
Defender of Defoko
BLAME IT ON FLIPNOTE HATENA. But really, it started there. I found "NAZOTOKI" by Kagamine Len. Found out he was from VOCALOID. Thought VOCALOID was a band. Found out what VOCALOID really is. Got all hyped. Found out VOCALOID was expensive. Was fooled by Teto prank. Found out she was an
"UTAUloid." Found out what UTAU is. Got hyped. Zokune Ein was born. END OF STORY. THAR.

TDRloid

Teto's Territory
VOCALOID × Touhou IOSYS -Overdrive- 【Miku Hatsune MAD】

It really started with this video. I had already learned about VOCALOID by then, but I was trying to understand and basically study the memes of Nico at the time. When I first saw Teto, I was really curious to find out about her because I had known about the fanmade Vocaloids already. So I tried looking for "Teto Pettenson." Of course at the time, I had no idea that this wasn't her real name, so I didn't really know for a while.

【Kasane Teto PV】『Kasane territory ~It's Teto's turn forever』 [UTAU x Touhou PV]

It was when I found this video that I realized who Teto was and what UTAU was. I got so interested in it, I looked it up on YouTube and noticed that there were already several overseas UTAUs floating about and I got interested in making one.

irei1as

Teto's Territory
I'm glad I'm not the only one coming from Touhou.

Yeah, from Touhou videos to VOCALOID and at the end into UTAU.

(But, well, I'm sure you can end in Xenobiology fandom starting from Touhou so it's kinda random.)

Yesi-chan

Momo's Minion
I think it was around November of 2008 that Feli (Hoshine Stella's voicer) showed me a video of Teto and Ted singing Cendrillon.  I fell in love with that song since I don't believe I had heard of it before despite knowing what Vocaloid was because of Feli lol.
So I found out UTAU was free to use, downloaded it, got really confused cause it was all in Japanese but proposed myself to make my own UTAUloid that could sing in English.  However I did play around with Teto, Defoko and Mako on my earlier days.  And I found more and more UTAUloid to use and I kept learning until I finally made Camila which had many many faults way back in 2009 (I suppose she still does but back then it was ridiculous xD) and even then I was fortunate enough to meet mianaito thanks to th3Silenton3 and he taught me a lot of UTAU stuff! I have to say, if it wasn't for th3Silenton3, I don't think I would have ever released Camila. And thanks to him I was able to get my hands on some usts people didn't even know about as well as be able to try UTAU in English before it was even released publicly.
That really helped a ton but UTAU was still majorly in Japanese so I still had to struggle but you wouldn't believe how much I messed with Teto's samples to learn how things were done xD  Not to mention I even started to do some research on how text to speech works to see if I could apply any of that to making an English singing UTAUloid.  That really got me nowhere quick though so I just basically recorded whatever came to mind.

I think the reason why I could sort of make my way around UTAU when there was still no translation was because I had used Anvil Studio (still do!).  That piano roll editor really did help a lot :smile:

It really does help to just keep playing around with the program until you understand it better!

Also I'm glad I met a lot of the people I met in the early days and as the years went by!  You have made this experience pretty fun :smile:

jellophish

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I actually found UTAU and never realized it was an UTAU XD This one sang Just Be Friends and had two tone hair, black and white. I was like, "Oh it's not a real Vocaloid :o" But I forgot about it and moved on.
I discovered Nami's art a while ago, and realized she made an UTAU. I thought it was cute and what not, and at first, I was a bit opposed to UTAU eue;;

I had this whole hate for Teto, Haku, and Neru eue;;; (Which is ironic cause I freaking love those three now xD)
And then I did my research and grew to love them uvu I got involved in the older Forum and then Taiyo was born! XD Yay xD I made all these banners for her, and what not, and I freaking loved UTAU XD

I got less active as school came back ;u; But, still active :D Glad I got into this community actually ouo

ruthienick

Momo's Minion
Alrighty! Let's start:
I first saw the UTAU Kasane Teto and I didn't like her. I'm sorry to Teto fans but I thought her voice was robotic. I researched more about UTAUs and saw the worst of them, especially the recolors. I decided to give it a chance though and I'm glad I did because I found Ryone Yami, who is, in my opinion, the best UTAU ever. So, yeah, I've liked UTAU for months but only now I decided to try my hand at one.

Kurotard

Momo's Minion
I actually got into UTAU once I heard Teto Kasane's version of "Lilium", and I just fell in love with it. It took me until the September of last year to make my first UTAUloid voicebank.

Pompom1011

Momo's Minion
I found out about UTAU because of a program called "ARToolkit". Miku was dancing, and I had no idea who she was. After that, I read some comments and found out that she was Miku. I got interested and googled her. Because of that, I found out about VOCALOID and saw my first VOCALOID song, "Chaining Intention" by Hatsune Miku. As I searched more, I found Teto in a picture with other VOCALOIDs. I got interested in what she was, too, so I looked her up on Google. After that, I found out about UTAU and wanted to learn more about it =]

Mr. Dark

Momo's Minion
I'm part of an indie media deign team that creates video games and original music and the like and one day the owner posted that we were going to start an UTAUloid chorus and I signed up. Now I am obsessed...

roseraie

Momo's Minion
i was introduced to Vocaloid by a friend; she showed me Miku and told me she was a robot o___o (im scared as death for Robots OTL;;; )
so the first month i didnt do anything about it.
then i started learning more and such u___u
i googled up the wiki, and i read EVERY page there was there xD
now imma Vocaloid expert or something /shot

a half year later(that summer) i became a Len fangirl owo and then i started learning about UTAU.
first Pitchloids, then UTAUloids.
like 3 Months later Yoshikuni was born =w=
then the others followed.

right now, imma bigger Vocaloid freak then my friend who showed me Vocaloid; she hates UTAU though and calls them 'Fakers', telling me Yoshikuni sounds horrible etc.etc. OTL;;;
oh well.
she hates Pitchloids more though, so.

okey, that was my boring story xD

K

khisui

Yuyoyuppe's album cover -> goes to listen to YT for his works -> "DAMN, it's Hatsune Miku, well.." -> Starts loving Miku -> Finds Luka, Kagamines and GUMI -> Finds Kasane Teto (?) -> UTAU

MioDioDaVinci

Teto's Territory
Hmm... For me, UTAU started a long while back.

I think it all started when I found a Nico Nico Douga mash up on Youtube... I fell in love with the opening tune, looked it up, found the orignal video, and spammed my ears with it for the next seven days. Turns out that song was Black Rock Shooter, and from there on out I listened to more and more Vocaloid. Then along comes a friend with a character I rather enjoyed. Turns out that character was an UTAU and I had the sudden inkling to turn one of my older characters into one of these singing Japanese programs.

And then we get the derp voice known as Salvador. ._.