How long does it take you to tune a UST?

oteto

Tetoholic
Defender of Defoko
Tuning for me is done as the ust is done so I have no idea, but its at least 30% of it....

McCloud

Loner Stoner
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I'd say anywhere from a few hours to a few days depending on how busy I am.

Fokkusu

Momo's Minion
Guess I am not the only one who takes a while. xD I have a lot of school and work, and blahblahblahblahblah.. Takes me forever. Plus trying to make things sound right. ;A;

Xuu

Ask me about Synthesizer V
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
*sits in the corner with an "I can't tune" sign*
I'd probably take a week and give up =3=

smeen

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
About a day I think... Unless they're perfect than I'll just plun n play.

IrisFlower

Precious Flower with Thorns
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Depends on how special I want it to sound. I know From Y to Y took me weeks to tune while I kinda just did the basics for Comet so like an hour or so to fully tune.. Also I know the question is asking about USTs but tuning Luka takes waaaay longer than tuning UTAU OTL

Ono

Teto's Territory
Interesting. I've been wondering how long it took for one to finish a ust. I had this mindset that it took at least 1-2 weeks. But yeah, like others have stated, I guess it depends on how emotional you wanna make it. There's another thing I've been wondering too. How do you guys make the pitchbends? Do you do it by ear?

IrisFlower

Precious Flower with Thorns
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Interesting. I've been wondering how long it took for one to finish a ust. I had this mindset that it took at least 1-2 weeks. But yeah, like others have stated, I guess it depends on how emotional you wanna make it. There's another thing I've been wondering too. How do you guys make the pitchbends? Do you do it by ear?

I kinda think "Well...this is how I want it to sound..." and do my best to do it by ear and sometimes it's a lot of trial and error ya know?

oteto

Tetoholic
Defender of Defoko
Lots and lots of trial and error! Looking at tuning examples is helpful too!

FluoroLime

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I sing it and then make tune it like how I would sing it. Omakase tool helps too.

Reactions: mangosiryan12

mangosiryan12

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
In pitchbending, i always listen to the utaite version of the song first then imitate the singer's style here's an example,

based to KRADNESS singing style (more or less, i guess XD):

based on my singing style

Last edited:

Genosan

Ruko's Ruffians
I'll spend forever trying to get something to sound right, and then still not be happy with it. And that's why I still have yet to upload a song. If I stopped being so picky, I would guess it would take a week to work through an UST, maybe? haha :tongue:

Quoted16Times

Momo's Minion
Yey! I thought I was the only one who takes more than a week to tune. Since I still have to convert JP-ENG USTs, it's a very dragging process. Several pitchbends also don't apply or can't be easily applied, especially on CVVC. Since I'm still noob, that's pretty much all.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
(Psst, please use "jpn" as an abbreviation, "JP" is a slur)

It takes me seventeen trillion years to tune a UST if I'm intending to make every single note perfect. Otherwise it could take a few weeks of on-and-off work. Sometimes I put things off, though. One of my originals has 7 usts, each 8.5 minutes long. It's been a year and a half and I still haven't gotten beyond 1/3 of the first UST.

Corben69Max

Teto's Territory
several hours to days for me (even though I rarely do Utau ^^' )

if I had to measure out the exact hours of work I put in as a total.....roughly 5-20 hours.. it really varies from the song and emotion. and that's with working on every single note :'D I spend more time with envelopes because I find it that it sounds better when you manually do envelopes yourself then just relying on the UTAU program it's self.