Importing VOCALOID voices to UTAU without distributing?

SakisCookie

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
I'm...fairly certain that's against usage policy.

Unless...well...I mean...if they actually BOUGHT Miku and are just using her voice on UTAU without distributing it, that might be okay. Maybe. I think if they actually bought the VOCALOID software, they should be okay.

....sorry if my opinion isn't helpful. <:D

IrisFlower

Precious Flower with Thorns
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Mmm...no I'm pretty sure it's still illegal even if you've bought the Vocaloid(and just more-so if you didn't). I believe it goes against the Vocaloid program's Terms and Conditions and such.

"The UTAU software is open license, which means that vocals from other software can be used in conjuction with the software, so long as it complies with the other softwares agreement (Vocaloid cannot be used in UTAU legally for this reason as its licensing is restricted)."

From the Vocaloid wiki.

Reactions: Systemイア

PKLpikachu

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
IrisFlower link said:
Mmm...no I'm pretty sure it's still illegal even if you've bought the Vocaloid(and just more-so if you didn't). I believe it goes against the Vocaloid program's Terms and Conditions and such.

\"The UTAU software is open license, which means that vocals from other software can be used in conjuction with the software, so long as it complies with the other softwares agreement (Vocaloid cannot be used in UTAU legally for this reason as its licensing is restricted).\"

From the Vocaloid wiki.

So, I'm guessing we have to inform the uploader of the legal trouble they're placing themselves in, and ask them to take the video down?

Matsukai

Momo's Minion
I dont think he actually bought miku. He's not a voca user xd. I told him to take the video down now ( in spanish) we'll see what happen,

SakisCookie

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
IrisFlower link said:

\"The UTAU software is open license, which means that vocals from other software can be used in conjuction with the software, so long as it complies with the other softwares agreement (Vocaloid cannot be used in UTAU legally for this reason as its licensing is restricted).\"

From the Vocaloid wiki.

....maybe I should read things more often. v_v;;
Iris, if I'm someday arrested for something, will you tell the police I'm an innocent girl--just very ignorant?

IrisFlower

Precious Flower with Thorns
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
SakisCookie link said:
[quote author=IrisFlower link=topic=2561.msg18943#msg18943 date=1341539281]

From the Vocaloid wiki.

....maybe I should read things more often. v_v;;
Iris, if I'm someday arrested for something, will you tell the police I'm an innocent girl--just very ignorant?
[/quote]

Haha, sure thing xD

Hika421

Teto's Territory
Quoting this from tumblr @ distortedcatharsis:
VOCALOID-TO-UTAU THEFT ALERT
I’ve recieved a message from a fellow Chilean UTAU user and friend who told me about the existence of Ariel Mermoik.

【UTAU】Ai Kotoba【Ariel Mermoik】

This UTAUloid uses samples from the Vocaloid Gumi, and her “author” claims that Ariel’s voice source is from “a friend of hers”.
Also, his/her/hir author put the voicebank for download, here. (This VB seems to now be password protected under \"arielmermoik01\" )
I’ve downloaded it and checked Ariel’s voicebank, and I’m 99.9% sure it’s Gumi’s voice (I’ve deleted her voicebank after that, of course).

My friend tried to convince her to delete that voicebank, but his/her/hir author swears that Ariel is legal and that her voice comes from his/her/hir “friend”.
Please help us to make this person delete that voicebank. Flag the videos from this channel. Its author speaks Spanish but if you want I can translate your messages, if you want to send some.

Please help me to spead this message. Thank you everybody in advance!

TheSnowSongstress

Momo's Minion
Defender of Defoko
Normally i wouldn't shoot at someone for a bank that sounds like a vocaloid, because it's not impossible for a person to sound like a vocaloid voicer. after all, there are UTAUloids that sound VERY similar (To a point where i don't know who's who)
But that a little TOO much like Gumi, and you hear a sharp spike in mic quality between Ariel and gogo, her other UTAU, who she claims was recorded with the same mic

Also, i had my friend Alpha compare to Gumi, he is positive it's Gumi's V2 voice used there

Lemondolly

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Mimi Neko link said:
I didn`t know this was technologically possible x___x
I think wav files can be exported from Vocaloid so all a person would have to do is exporet Miku saying all of her sounds then plug it into UTAU.

Mimi Neko

Teto's Territory
Lemondolly link said:
[quote author=Mimi Neko link=topic=2561.msg20371#msg20371 date=1342814882]
I didn`t know this was technologically possible x___x
I think wav files can be exported from Vocaloid so all a person would have to do is exporet Miku saying all of her sounds then plug it into UTAU.
[/quote]

Oh, yeah, never thought of that XD

Aline

Teto's Territory
I've seen people inputting Miku and Kaito on UTAU on Nico Nico Douga before, as a test; it didn't appear that people were calling them out on it nor telling them to take their videos off. Instead, they were commenting about resampler quality and things of the sorts.

I'm guessing that if it's for testing purposes (i.e. resampler testing and comparisons to the original engine), then, there's not too much of a problem? Of course, they could be better off if they didn't even publish the test results on the internet. But when it's a video made purely to showcase testing results, it might fall under the gray area of "fair use".

But voicebank redistribution, even if it's claimed to be "just for testing", is still a definite no-no.

ninjamitsuki

Momo's Minion
Yeah, I've actually done this before with my Vocaloids just to hear how it sounds. I haven't even made a video demonstrating it, though.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Yes people you can make UTAU with vocaloids as long as they are original
Hello VocaOrange,

1. The original thread is over 10 years old. As you can see, the previous post was from July 2012. None of the people in this thread will respond to you anymore.

2. Vocaloid's usage policy prohibits all forms of reverse engineering and resynthesis. Even if you don't distribute the UTAU voicebank, you are not permitted to create it in the first place.

Reactions: WyndReed and Halo

Systemイア

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Normally i wouldn't shoot at someone for a bank that sounds like a vocaloid, because it's not impossible for a person to sound like a vocaloid voicer. after all, there are UTAUloids that sound VERY similar (To a point where i don't know who's who)
But that a little TOO much like Gumi, and you hear a sharp spike in mic quality between Ariel and gogo, her other UTAU, who she claims was recorded with the same mic

Also, i had my friend Alpha compare to Gumi, he is positive it's Gumi's V2 voice used there
Such as how some voice banks like Ritsu sounds pretty close to Len. But it's still obvious that Ritsu isn't using Len's voice files and that he is actually voice by a real human.
In other cases voice files can be modified so much that the voice is barely recognizable when it comes to comparing it with the voice provider. A bit like Teto's case.