Selfadvertising

DREWdesu

Teto's Territory
I am guilty with self-advertisement if you've seen my youtube channel in the past year 90% of my UTAU videos are all based on my UTAU Takara Asune. I didn't realise that people look down at it, but considering that I have no musical talent... I wouldn't be able to make USTs from scratch.

LunaAkimine

Teto's Territory
Self advertising is a funny thing imo.

There's a few category of self advertisers:
❥ Oh look i uploaded something
❥ Critique plz
❥ WATCH WATCH WATCH WATCH WATCH
❥ I think we should use my utau more
❥ SHIT I SUCK MAN.
❥ Critique plz vers 2

So the first 2 are the more well liked, and now we go in depth
"Oh look i uploaded something"
This utau user will upload a new video and then post on some social networks then forget about it. So I guess less attention, but generally most of his/her friend would see the video and comment and yay.

"Critique plz"
The user will upload a video and post new threads asking for critiques, post on sites asking for critiques. And ACCEPT constructive criticism. That's why i added a vers 2 category. So after accepting criticism, he or she will upload a new cover or redo the video to show action after accepting criticism. And then she/he will never mention the previous video again. Key thing is accepting criticism.

"WATCH WATCH WATCH WATCH WATCH"
Spammers. Spam the video on every site telling them to watch and like. Need I explain more? The type of people that make us say "gtfo plz." That's not all. They spam. Every. Day. Hour. Minute. Second. Year. Month. Platypus. And everyone is just like ignoring after the 4th time of repost.

"I think we should use my utau more"
Self praising to get attention. I dont think much people do this. But then I've seen a few who go "I think my utau would sound good in the song" or "Dang I thought my utau would sound good in this chorus, how come you didn't pick him/her" and that is annoying. Your utau is not the only utau in the world. Don't act like it is and go fdahsjkfhdsjka when someone doesn't use your utau, or no one uses your utau.

" SHIT I SUCK MAN."
Self pitying. Typical situation. Person A says "NO I'M SO BAD AT THIS." and then Person B would go "DON'T. YOU'RE NOT. YOU'RE AWESOME." And then help that person spam. Then Person A uses this strategy for EVERY NEW UPLOAD. And soon Person B is gonna be like, "For the last time, you don't suck." And later Person B will ignore Person A everytime there's a new cover. We get it. You want attention. But dude, that's not the right way. You're just gonna make yourself look stupid. I don't mean like when you upload a cover and you naturally think "Wow, this isn't really good." or just type in a casual remark on the description saying "Fail work xD;;" etc. But srsly, if you're gonna throw the video at the world world and crying about it like as if someone died... just... gtfo.

Critique plz 2
Ask for critique. Spam all over. Someone gives critique. "OH GOD BITCH MY VIDEO IS PAAFEKUTO K." Okay that was exaggerated. But yelling at someone for criticism when you asked for it. That's just dumb.

and think we all can tell people go "WATCHWATCHWATCHWATCH" then start self-pitying.

So yep. Explains why people get annoyed? Close enough.

Kitsuyeo

Teto's Territory
Mmm... I think that Self-Advertising is fine as long as its not someone taking it to far, as in like, going everywhere and on every blog and chat website spamming "CHECK OUT MY UTAU *link*", etc.
You know?
And, about people only using their UTAU...
I use my UTAUloid Denki a lot, and that's because I want to figure out how to make him sound just right, or as near that as I can, so I practice and practice, but I do use plenty of other UTAUs because I like a lot of them. In that way, it may be called Self-Advertising by some people, but I certainly don't mean it to be, I'm just trying to improve both Denki and myself so I don't make other people's UTAUs sound like utter shit XD just noting myself so that people aren't raging at me that I'm blabbing about Self-Advertising when it might seem to some people that I do it myself, don't wanna make anyone mad or confused :smile:
Now, I'm not saying that in every single case of someone only using their own UTAU it's going to be because they're self-advertising, but probably in most cases that's what's going on.
Again, my opinion: Self-Advertising is fine with me as long as it's not taken too far, or to the extreme, but also, I honestly think it's pointless.

Aline

Teto's Territory
I shall warn people I'm going to be extremely honest and unpleasant about all of this. Don't say you weren't warned.

What I've learned in these (practically) 3 years and a half of UTAU?

It's not about your UTAU or how you advertise it. It's about the fandom/community.

Which means that yes, you can do all the advertising right and stuff, but if the group of individuals who share UTAU as a common interest doesn't like your voice (or even you), you'll never, ever please them no matter no hard you try.

I've seen people both telling me I don't advertise enough and calling me an attention sex worker, both in different and equal occasions. The thing here is that you really can't please everyone. Someone's "too much" is surely someone else's "too little". It's really frustrating how you can't even publish something if the naysayers already shoot you down as soon as they discover your stuff.

Not to mention that your reputation lingers even after years you've changed your mind and you're gone from the scene. It's not really a good thing to tread in territory where people already have some mixed feelings about you and your work because first impressions are basically everything most of the time. It's indeed not about you anymore at this point. It's about how other people see you. A reputation is really hard to clean once it's tainted.

So, I'd tell new people to rather be really careful with how they do their stuff and portray themselves in fandom and take a small step at a time than to try to start too big just to then experience an even bigger fall. Because when the fall is too big, you may never be able to recover. Better start out in a low profile than call too much attention for yourself in that initial phase while you still can and will err.

I wish someone told it to me when I was a noob, in all honesty. Lots of sighing would be avoided if I had a senpai to hold my hand along the way.

hopeandjoy

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I do think that it's necessary, and even over demonized.

I've been UTAUing for 2 years now. There are some very good reasons I'm not noticed. My UTAU weren't so great at first. I can't draw. Other than to fix glitches and fit banks I plug and chug, I admit it. I don't make USTs. Those last two are because I'm no good at knowing notes by hearing them and my attempts at tuning just sound shaky and out of tune. But when you have over 1,000 subs, but barely anyone pays attention to your UTAU videos and the only ones, with one exception, that break 100 views is using other's UTAU, it's a little exhausting. EDIT: Okay, looking at my views it's a little better than that, but it's still that no one comments most of the time.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just really shy and don't want to scare people off when it comes to advertising my own UTAU. And because of that I fail.

But I do think you need to self-advertise to get anywhere. No one's going to find your UTAU somewhere in the depths of YouTube or NicoNico unless you point the way.

TheSnowSongstress

Momo's Minion
Defender of Defoko
There are some good ways to self advertise without just spamming (some more common than others)

1.) Use an utau you like with yours
This is probably THE MOST COMMON self advertisement. When done right, it's lovely. Your banks might sound nice together. But when it's just slapping the voices together in a non duet song with no lining, and you make your utau louder, it's a  nono.

2.) Use your utau for a ust release
This is probably my favorite technique. Why? Because even if the person is advertising their bank, they are giving back to the community! When is this bad? When you steal the ust or it's just a mode1 midi with lyrics! A bad ust makes your utau look bad! Put the effort in the ust just like you do your utau!

3.) Make good ORIGINAL art
Key point: original. That means no generic vocaloid/song poses, no bases, no picture edits. Make totally original art and practice! If people like your design/art on da, they will probably listen to your cover! Just as much as a love is war using the same pixel base that everyone uses when they don't know it's a nono makes someone not wanna hear a cover, good art lures viewers!

4.) Put in effort
If you show you didn't try, why should people bother? "I just slapped everything together last minute." No. Just no. If you're going to put in little effort, don't expect people to kiss your feet

Miramiee

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
This topic kind of rubs me the wrong way...but i'll give it a shot to voice out my opinion. I am still fairly new to utau (only used it for about 7 months--not counting all the months I was deprived from a computer) so don't take me too seriously. I know I might get bricked.

I, generally, don't mind self-advertising. I mean, yeah, if you're new, you've gotta get your hard work and effort to center-stage. But, that's only fine to a certain extent.... I mean, I got really self conscious when I felt that...i may have been over posting or overexposing when I was new(still am a bit). It's gotta be done....it's just one of those things. But the self advertising was not for the attention and "oh wow what a sugoi voice, ne?" comments but the feedback (for lack of a better term) and just pure appreciation of my hard work that kept me going. I'm sure a few, if not all, people can agree that when your effort is appreciated, you just feel so good inside and just want to keep going with it. It's like you didn't waste your time and want to keep progressing and growing.

But it becomes bad when all you ever do is ADVERTISE. I mean, people don't notice it, but they ADVERTISE in ways that they don't even realize, like socially- This is REALLY big. If you have a bunch of friends around the community and even more so if they are popular, there's a high chance you will become popular. This isn't necessarily direct advertising but...it's like you spam your friends or the chat here just to get more publicity. This, I hate THE MOST. Having a bunch of friends is really nice. Really. But until you start to notice that your subscribers and views are all just from friends...it's just, to me, really...disappointing. What if you had no friends? Where do you think your utau'd be?

I mean, it takes a lot for an utau to become big. One of the main factors are time and quality. If you've been an utau user since UTAU was first released then yeah--you'd be a household name. Heck, you might be on top quality-wise as well. But if you're just getting the hang of it...and you're just beginning to see the tricks and are barely skimming 20 subs, then it'll be hard. Self advertising is what gets you up on your feet for a while. Once you begin to run, forget mostly about it and rely on time and the length of your footsteps to get you further. That's my view on advertising.

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
TheSnowSongstress link said:
4.) Put in effort
If you show you didn't try, why should people bother? \"I just slapped everything together last minute.\" No. Just no. If you're going to put in little effort, don't expect people to kiss your feet

This, this, so much this.

I am of the feeling that the UTAU community I'd pretty damn perceptive and art, music, and voicebank aside one thing the community really appreciates is EFFORT.

You don't have to have the best art on the world. Your voicebank doesn't even have to be that great. If you ate putting the work in, effort into everything you do, the fandom will appreciates it.

I mean generally people ate not dumb, the can see through your attempts at PR but if you make the end result worth their time then only good things can happen.

I mean srsly. My art skills are limited to sick figures and my voicebank a derpy mess. That being said even if I knew I could only do stick figures, I went out of my way to make 'PV's, even if said PV was only 4 frames looped into a GIF.

Is it the best PV? No. The thing is it doesn't have to be the best. It just has to be 'you' and you gotta put the effort in and try your best. That is all anyone can ask.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2