Unable to type in Hiragana (ONLY in Utau)

xshugarrx

Momo's Minion
hey all, I'm having an odd issue (again.) last time, the issue seemed to fix itself, but alas it's back. I have my locale set and keyboards installed, so let's skip right over that. part of me honestly wonders if Windows 10 is the issue, given I never had this problem on 7 and the win10 keyboards are buggy af... but I digress.

I'm unable to type hiragana (or any japanese, really) in UTAU. when my keyboard is set to JP, it still only types English characters as if I have English selected. problem is, it seems to be only in UTAU. clicking away to another window, like a web browser, I can type JP just fine. so what gives? I've tried running UTAU in admin (I always try and remember to do that), restarting my computer (sometimes that fixes it) and a myriad of other things like messing about in windows settings to no avail. thoughts? it's extremely tedious to use the romanji>hiragana converter as I still have to copy-paste certain characters that it either doesn't convert at all or doesn't convert to the exact sample I'm looking for.

Halo

Icon by Wanpuccino @ DA
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
Are you using microsoft IME input to try and type? typically you select the typebox THEN change to Japanese keyboard (win10 shortcut for this is alt+shift so JP keyboard is selected, then shift+capslock to cycle between roma/kana). Once you do this, it should stick for the session.

xshugarrx

Momo's Minion
Are you using microsoft IME input to try and type? typically you select the typebox THEN change to Japanese keyboard (win10 shortcut for this is alt+shift so JP keyboard is selected, then shift+capslock to cycle between roma/kana). Once you do this, it should stick for the session.
yes, I use IME. that's usually how i do it, minus the keyboard shortcuts bc I didn't know them. but using the keyboard shortcuts seems to have fixed the issue! thank you!

Reactions: Halo
yes, I use IME. that's usually how i do it, minus the keyboard shortcuts bc I didn't know them. but using the keyboard shortcuts seems to have fixed the issue! thank you!
I recommend sticking to the shortcuts. In my experience, it can be finicky if you don't! I used to have the same issue, virtually never had it though with the shortcuts.

Reactions: Halo

xshugarrx

Momo's Minion
that's so weird! I swear UTAU is the only program I've ever encountered this with. I'm glad the solution is so simple tho
I recommend sticking to the shortcuts. In my experience, it can be finicky if you don't! I used to have the same issue, virtually never had it though with the shortcuts.