We need to start talking about the future of UTAU's engine development before it's too late

✧ Elfrida ✧

The Space Witch
Defender of Defoko
In all honesty the main thing I'm looking forward to is a sleeker interface and a better color scheme. Preferably one that's colors aren't super bright, but not dull or at least not extremely dark or boring. Also taking away rests and having a way for tuning to be a little less tedious would be nice.. my main concern is the rests.

Info-Chan

SELENA Developer
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I was told that nmasao and Ameya both made the plugin together and Ameya was implementing it into the software. EDIT: I remember reading it either here or another UTAU forum. It may have been in the chat here?

Reactions: partial

✧ Elfrida ✧

The Space Witch
Defender of Defoko
I was told that nmasao and Ameya both made the plugin together and Ameya was implementing it into the software. EDIT: I remember reading it either here or another UTAU forum. It may have been in the chat here?
People here have said nmasao made the plugin, but I don't recall any mention of Ameya being any part of it. You might have been misinformed or read something wrong?

Reactions: Mitt64

Info-Chan

SELENA Developer
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
People here have said nmasao made the plugin, but I don't recall any mention of Ameya being any part of it. You might have been misinformed or read something wrong?
I don't know. It may have been an incorrectly translated tweet? //shrug

Lystrialle

Administrator
Administrator
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Here's the spec I was talking about.

But Ameya still works on UTAU. He just released the multi-track plugin a while ago and he said it would be integrated into the program itself as a normal feature, so an update will happen and if UTAU does become unsupported I'm sure Ameya would bring out a fix, just one isn't truly needed right now.

The person you're talking about is Masao, I haven't heard of Ameya doing anything in this regard.

That said, the problems I mentioned in the original post still apply; UTAU hasn't had a formal update since 2012/2013, and the demands being placed on it in the community are too strenuous for it at this stage. In addition, having been here since 2009, I can confirm all the updates we've had since then have been incredibly minor, with no significant changes to any of the functions made during any of them.

MillyAqualine

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
If this becomes a thing I totally gonna spear this plus here's my suggest:

I think that is important that no matter if you're Windows, Mac (or Linux), everyone should be able to use same versions of that program - or at least having able to all use same abilities/funktions. (*cough* differences between UTAU and UTAU-Synth)

To make people to easily to move use that "new utau" it should be able to use current utau VBs (made in UTAU/UTAU-Synth) to be possible of course.

It would be nice if this "new utau" would be able to use other symbols than hiragana, katakana, romaji and some kanji (I mean in .wav and "oto.ini" file + plus in program itself).

Support for Chinese/Korean Hangul/some special alphabet such like äöåžš etc/other languages alphabets (maybe for Arabic too ? Idk) (This is just my opinion but I don't like for example write Korean in "romajined version" or write Finnish without äö)

Able to export/import VSQ/VSQx/UST/midi ability would be cool and what else... Having best sides/functions what UTAU and UTAU-Synth currently has?

Also (though some attempt to do it with their programs / versions ) try to make it compatible no matter the locale, so people wouldn't have anymore to always switch the locale and could install it straightforwardly and use it directly too without changing on Japanese locale... Well, if it's possible of course

Edit : Sorry i had a very weird annoying bug while finishing my message so I had to post it and edit >.<"'

Info-Chan

SELENA Developer
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko

The person you're talking about is Masao, I haven't heard of Ameya doing anything in this regard.

That said, the problems I mentioned in the original post still apply; UTAU hasn't had a formal update since 2012/2013, and the demands being placed on it in the community are too strenuous for it at this stage. In addition, having been here since 2009, I can confirm all the updates we've had since then have been incredibly minor, with no significant changes to any of the functions made during any of them.
I knew about Masao being the one who distributed (read my replies), I was apparently misinformed that Ameya truly didn't help, my bad. EDT: (please don't read this as negative, if it comes off that way I'm sorry.)

Lethe

Ruko's Ruffians
Supporter
Defender of Defoko

Nice design doc! I have some comments but I need to get to work for now. Can you change the edit access on the Google doc to allow comments/suggestions?

sailor _ravioli

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
*insert dumb comment* i think in the new UTAU or whatever the next big thing is you should be able to draw pitch bends like vocaloid
i have no idea if this has already been suggested but i hate tuning in utau currently

Reactions: Nohkara

Lystrialle

Administrator
Administrator
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Nice design doc! I have some comments but I need to get to work for now. Can you change the edit access on the Google doc to allow comments/suggestions?

Enabled commenting!

Cine

Certified paint water drinker.
Defender of Defoko
*insert dumb comment* i think in the new UTAU or whatever the next big thing is you should be able to draw pitch bends like vocaloid
i have no idea if this has already been suggested but i hate tuning in utau currently

I haven't brought it up before but the second plugin on Zteer's plugin page is something I've been using as of late. It's a plugin that allows you to freehand/ linetool/ beizer pitches over several notes at once and also edit in mode 1 and mode 2.

Chianachini

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Hi guys does anyone know how the Japanese and rest of the Eastern community feels about an open source project? We mustn't forget their huge programming talents. I think survival can be better met with support in both hemispheres.

I'd suggest getting a dedicated place to discuss an open source project to keep things organized. I have no idea what this could be but something to help us survive.

CarrotJuice

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Hmmm ik this is early but I work in marketing and investment and i belive that if this project gets to the point were it is not only backwards compatible but also superior to current utau I will be happy to market this at a professional level as I belive that if you succeed killing off all the shortcomings of utau in your '3rd benchmark' of development it will be a professional grade product and will I'll probably be able to bring I'm a new audience (this of course will require a pretty big investment from me but I'm happy to do it if you get that far) I don't think you will have too trouble migrating the current utau users over so, that's all I can really bring to the table, that if this works I can help you expand the user Base to different audiences and help current users migrate! I usually wouldmy do something like this, especially not for free but I don't think I have engaged with the community enough tbqh and if it's for utaus survival, I'm willing to do it!! (Soz about spelling I'm on my phone + on a train ♡)

lunavi

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
All I really want is to be able to edit Frqs on Mac tbh

If there are any complaints to be had about UTAU-Synth, it's this, and the Frq generator's glitchiness. Being able to use other resamplers other than the default would also be nice, though that may be a "no one builds resamplers for UTAU-synth" issue as much as a "can't switch resamplers" issue. (This isn't personally something that bothers me much, since the default resampler is pretty solid.)

Reactions: Nohkara

Misfit

Teto's Territory
In the event a team is actually brought together to work on the next generation of UTAU, I would love to lend a hand! I'm a Graphic Designer+Front End Engineer with a few years of agency experience and a huge proponent of accessible and open-source software. If we need UI mockups, logos/branding, or at the very least a custom built wordpress site, those are my strengths. It sounds like a really interesting project, so if this is actually happening count me in!

Last edited:

sailor _ravioli

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I would love to help with developing a new synth although I am only a tiny bit familiar with c# I feel like I'd be able to contribute more in graphic design and marketing/advertising also I am pretty experienced in Web design using Dreamweaver and other softwares