What do you look for in a voice?

WendytheCreeper

(>☉ ͡ヮ☉<)
Defender of Defoko
A question I'd like to ask everyone out there, that I'm feeling the mood for asking: When looking for voicebanks, what kinds of voices appeal to you? Also, are there vocal qualities that don't appeal to you?

For example, do you like a higher or lower range? Does masculinity/femininity play a part in your interest? Do you prefer a clearer or breathier vocal? Are there certain quirks you look for? More cartoony or more realistic?

I personally like clear sounding voices with very little breathiness, mainly because a breathy vocal suggests to me a lack of air support and overall amateur-ness. Though, I think to some that might seem odd when placed in context of UTAU, as it could sound too clear, if you know what I mean. Softer vocals do have their place though, in my mind.

Nanika

Lame Vocaloid Producer
Defender of Defoko
Personally, I like Clear, solid, and mature female banks. I still want them to be feminine, just very deep and mature. Most of the time, I rarely use soft vocals, especially whisper appends and such. Though if I do, I prefer them to be the highest quality possible.

Terindie

日本語 Patrol - Active Duty
Defender of Defoko
Voices by trained singers; it's very obvious when a bank is recorded by someone who knows what they're doing, and stands out when mixed and finished up. Any voice type, and if their voices carry confidence, I usually love it regardless.

On the contrary, this also means when untrained people speak-sing their banks, and they all come out this mumbly, wavery, insecure sound for females and a bored, thin, buzzy sound for males.

Velvet

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I think it's best expressed if I tell you about my favorite UTAU vocals: Ruko female and Karasu

Okay. So. I cannot get enough of mature female voices that can reach impossible notes without sounding like a chipmunk. That's basically it. Yokune Ruko's Female CVVC/Singing VCV bank achieves this in the absolute best way. Another thing I look for is extremely HQ samples for optimal realism. Ruko isn't the absolute greatest when it comes to this, but some other good examples are Gahata Meiji, Kohaku Merry, Akesato, and Asane Hana. I think I almost like Merry more than Ruko, sometimes. But Ruko's timbere, singing style, and perfect amount of power just get me every time. (I would love a vocal like this in English, so I'm really excited for Asane Hana VCCV ^_^)

As for male vocals, Karasu Yuutsukoe absolutely takes the cake. I almost answered Zuiga Mizuki or Mawarine Shuu, but the thing with them is that... Well, it's not exactly them, it's just that Karasu completely outshines them imo. Karasu has a mature yet youthful voice; something I'm not used to hearing. And he's STRONG. His high notes are hard and yell-like which I adore, and his low notes are deep and solid. Mizuki almost meets my parameters, but his high range is too weak for me. This is where Shuu comes in! (D5 PITCH. D5. SERIOUSLY) His vocal range is high up in the heavens, which I can't get enough of. Unfortunately, his low set just doesn't do it for me.
Karasu also, again, has that mature-yet-somehow-youthful tone that just... GETS me. Have you heard his voice? Phenomenal. (IM SCREAMING BECAUSE HE'S GETTING A VCCV)

That basically sums up my feelings, but I'm complicated so here's some more text
Clear. Realistic. Human-sounding. I cannot get enough of it. I want to feel a soul when I hear an UTAU sing. However, I won't lie. I know humans don't sing as well as my favorite UTAU. I want an UTAU that sounds like a good human singer. This is why I adore UTAU with a million pitches. They're so extra and take up disk space, but they make transitions amazingly smooth. Speaking of smooth, that's another thing I prioritize. It can sound super good on CV, but if it ain't smooth then I'm not a fan (which is one of the many reasons I love Hitsuboku Kumi; her power bank is probs the smoothest CV I've ever heard).
This brings us to our next topic: Sample quality. I. Am not a fan of background noise. Like, at all. I don't think anyone is, really. Too much background noise and I'll drop that utsu like a hot potato (not that I'd ever drop something as precious as a tomato LOL). Also, this maybe a controversial opinion, but I really don't like anything that's recorded on a bad mic. Even my own voicebanks. If the mic bad, it aint gonna happen. It's not like I have a favorite brand or anything, but,,, it's gotta sound GOOD. At least good. It doesn't have to be Akesato-quality or anything, but like... Idk, I really don't like muffled and synth-y sounding samples. They do almost nothing for me (the probably only exception is Chorvabot, cuz like, c'mon uwu).
I also absolutely detest off-pitch samples (*stares @ first VCV bank*). I love it best when they're recorded by professional singers (Oh look a Shuu) because they can keep pitch really good. Off-pitch samples are a big no-no. Not to mention, many non professionals record like they're speaking, and their UTAU ends up sounding bored and flat. I. Don't like. *continues to stare at first VCV*
We could go into English, but that's a whole 'nother discussion. Let's just say that right now Czloid and Kumi are best.
And.. I think that might be it! if you read all that and made it this far, then thanks and kudos ^_^

Last edited:

luiysia

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
i like lower ranges in general but i'm generally ok if the recording is good... i dont make a lot of covers with higher (one might say miku-esque) voices cuz the songs are usually already by miku lmao. so i feel like im not adding much. i like those kinds of voices tho. i could probably be more descriptive by saying my fav vocaloid voices are iroha and miki so I like those kinds of qualities.

i dont rly have preferences for non-feminine voices, as long as its ok quality. basically i just default to zuiga mizuki >>; i'd like to try out mawarine shuu tho

moonst4r

Witch of the Night
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I like crisp vocals since they're easier to work with and mix. I do have a bias towards masculine vocals though heh ;; Deep male voices yes

For females, I'm not really into the super high pitched voices. I like the ones that are somewhat unique sounding and I could pick them out in a group. I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like UTAU can tend to make a common female or male voice in which they make UTAU s sound the same ;;

As for clear vs breathy, I prefer clear. Breathy voices tend to be harder to work with and are only suited for very few songs.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Female English banks. Preferably clear ones that suit electronic music. Writing a song for a soft-ish japanese male bank was... an adventure. I bother more with the actual features of the bank like the alias system and the included phonemes and stuff like that. If I can mix Sonika, I can probably mix any other vocal type.

WendytheCreeper

(>☉ ͡ヮ☉<)
Defender of Defoko
I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like UTAU can tend to make a common female or male voice in which they make UTAU s sound the same ;;

Nah, I don't feel like it's just you. Ever heard the common complaint "all these female Vocaloids sound the same!!" ? I tend to feel that way about a lot of male and female UTAU vocals. I think I'm starting to place why: After being in a voice class filled mainly with young, beginner singers, I started to notice certain similarities* between their voices...and given that most UTAU are voiced by amateurs and even non-singers, I can assume they share these traits.

Another thing is that many people are influenced by popular voice types. Many people probably subconsciously record their UTAU in a pop style, so that is a more common type.

*traits like a certain breathiness, odd-sounding vowels and diction, inconsistency in tone

oteto

Tetoholic
Defender of Defoko
I like some strange in voices, whether its an unusual tone or if it just tickles the insides of my ears....

Avalia-Kasa

probably a potato tbh
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I love mature voices of all range. Unfortunately, mature soprano isn't something that happens often, mostly cute, so I tend to like deeper voices more.

BUT WHEN I FIND A MATURE SOPRANO HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH