What do you want as an editor

Discussion in 'UTAU Discussion' started by Pikachuk(SeleDreamsP), Oct 5, 2018.

1. Pikachuk(SeleDreamsP)

Pikachuk(SeleDreamsP) Teto is love, Teto is life (Rin too) Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Hello, I'm Pikachuk (yes since the beginning my username here is a typo lol), I was at first starting to port FVSS to .NET Core, but after thinking about it, I ended up thinking about making a whole new software in C++
    The software would run on Windows, Linux, macOS and Android phones (for iPhones, I'll have to look at it in the future because atm it may be complicated to think about it, after all, developping for iPhones is around 100$/year)

But since I want to make an editor that is efficient and intuitive to use,
    I wanted to ask to the community : What do you want exactly,
    for instance, how do you want note input to work, how do you want the pitch to work,
    the best would be some drawings/schemas with some description that could help me to understand exactly what you all would like as an editor
    if you have an idea about how the whole software would look like, drawings would really help me in order to make the software this way

From my own experience, I already know that I want the UI to allow easily to move and draw notes freely without the limitations of the UTAU editor, I prefer the way Piapro does it
    when it comes to the UI, the color scheme will be customisable but the default one will be black, the color scheme will be mostly inspired by the FVSS one
    I want too to implement native japanese-romaji conversion on the renderer that would allow UTAU without japanese/romaji aliases to still sing a japanese/romaji ust, implementing some dictionnaries that would automatically convert words to syllabs etc
    I want too to implement something a bit like OREMO directly integrated in the editor and the ability to download resamplers,plugins and UTAU in only one click (as long as the creators allowed it, it would work by automatically downloading from the official link the UTAU/Plugin and placing it where required)

the editor would allow to use windows only wavtool/resampler by using wine natively on macOS and Linux
    but since for phones it would be complicated since they use ARM, I'll still try to contact some resampler creators in order to get the source code to port them natively to the platforms

name wise, I haven't found a name yet for the software, so if you have suggestions...

3. Pikachuk(SeleDreamsP)

Trophy Points
    btw for android obviously the UI would have some tweaks to make it easy to use, like zooming with the fingers and easy buttons to switch of mode

4. susrever

susrever Teto's Territory Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Mhh, most importantly I would like the on note point tuning method utau has to stay. I mean, I've grown so used to it over the years that I quite like it more than Vocaloid and Vsynth tuning stile and it's still something that's unique to UTAU nowadays. Also, Utau-synth like Envelope editor would be appreciated, too.

Multitab would be nice and a multi track mode like Vocaloid's would be awesome. (Even without the integrated mixer, which, imoh, is uselesess because I like to mix on the DAW of my choice and mixing in editor seems limiting. Backtrack .wav playing abilty, on the other hand, would be useful.)

I appreciate the fact that you are working so hard on making it Android compatible, but then again, I hope this synth you are making is overall more focused on the desktop app. Sure, phones nowadays are cool and more powerful and everything but it's just too impratical to zoom and tune on them. On a tablet? Yeah, maybe, but I'm gonna have to use my PC to mix either way, so I'm not gonna use a more unpractical mobile version. Also, vbs take up a lot of space and I don't want my phone to be hogged up.

Python scripts support would be nice.

The biggest problem, imo, is implementing a way to automatically decompress the voicebanks in-editor (like drag and dropping) with the right encoding, without having still to change the locale. I mean, jp > romanji automatic conversion looks cool but if I can't still use it if the voicebank of my choice has been decompressed in mojibake it is ...useless. (Sadly, while some voicebanks nowadays are encoded in UTF-8, most are still in SHIF-JIS.) I know it's hard (maybe impossible?) to implement but...that would be the deal breaker for me. Like, whatever, I don't care, I would pay for this function.

Those are the things I'd like to see in an editor. Obviously, those are wishes and some might be unrealizable. Still, I wish you all the best and hope this new synth becomes a hit!

Kiyoteru likes this.
  5. Pikachuk(SeleDreamsP)

Trophy Points
    When it comes to the focus, don't worry, my focus is still the desktop environment
    multitab is one of the things I planned since the beginning, so yeah
    I'd like to add a kind of "prerendering" of a base note too that could allow to have the "la" or "a" note play when we are moving a note like vocaloid or piapro
    about the automatic decompression in the right format, it's doable, I could probably make a window appear prompting the user asking if it's a shift-jis vb or a utf-8 one

when it comes to the point tuning, well I don't really know, I guess I could maybe implement both systems, but it's not my first focus since before implementing it, I'll have to first create the UI in itself
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 5, 2018 ---
    oh and for python script support, I don't really know, I'm planning to add a plugin support but I'm not really sure about the language I'll use for them, I'd probably more use lua for external scripts than python because python tends to be a bit of a pain sometimes with the way it works

Kiyoteru likes this.