Your Unpopular UTAU opinions

OngakuCD

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Idk if this is unpopular utau opinion as its concerning a specific community within utau.

English UTAU

English UTAU seems to be on the rise and we owe thanks to pioneers like Gumbi500, Sango312, and Cz (who gave us a standard reclist with CVVC). But over the course of 7 years, I've only seen progression in the amount of voice banks available for download and not in the much needed material such as ust's. From the CVVC days, ust's were scarce, currently, I still say ust for VCCV are scarce, or more so, non diverse. I can account for only three ust makers in the VCCV community that actively produces ust, and good ones at that. Everyone overuses the same ust because thats all thats on the market

This isn't anyone's fault as with a CV or VCV Japanese banks, making a Midi file, pasting in lyrics, and tuning are simpler due to having more familiarity and experience. English however takes more work (especially in tuning because of how the samples overlap.). However, when you have more people striving for making a voicebank rather than a medium for their voicebanks to be demonstrated, I feel like it defeats the purpose.

I've recently started making ust's of my own and once I'm confident in my abilities to tune, get the right pitch, and use proper samples for pronunciation, I will go back over them and release them.
some so far examples 1 2 3 4

TL:DR: You can't increase supply without having the demand available because inflation will occur. I feel this is the state the english utau community is in regarding the voicebank to ust ratio.

Chianachini

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
A comment that really irks me: "she sounds like a cross between x and y"

I really feels like this invalidates the voice in question. Most voices may be similar, but they are still unique. This type of comment just brings back attention to previous, generally more successful voices. I much prefer comments that actually try to describe the tone or flavor of the voice instead of just comparing them to Gumi or VY1.

However, I understand it's easy to make a comparison and very hard to describe a voice in that I'd like. Perhaps if people really tried to describe a voice with a critical perspective, we wouldn't dismiss a voice just because she's a youthful female, etc.

Edgeberry

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
People need to stop treating Ruko and Ritsu's identities as if they're more than just a joke. Ruko is hermaphrodite, sure, but it's not meant to be taken seriously. Same goes for all the trap UTAU, which is essentially what Ritsu is. It's not that deep, but SJWs gotta blow things out of proportion. =.=

Kazumimi

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I love unpopular opinions threads, haha!
  • UTAU > Vocaloid (it offers so much more freedom. If a voice doesn't sound good with a resampler, you can just change it. Also, you get good plugins, and UTAU tuning is so much easier than Vocaloid. I can draw exactly what I want right on the note.)
  • I love Cryptonloid-like designs as long as they're not blatant recolors and they do something unique to it; I wouldn't go for a design that's basically just Miku or the Kagamines in UTAU form. (Probably 'cause I'm a Crypton and Vippaloid junkie, haha.)
  • I don't care for multipitch; I don't find it to be that much more expressive than monopitch. (Except for Ritsu, maybe.)
  • Yamine Renri isn't as good as she's hyped up to be. (No hate, tho.)
  • Matsudappoiyo isn't that great. He's hard to tune and has more engine noise than even Teto and Tei.
  • I love rest notes. (Most of the time.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Olivia091220034

Teto's Territory
Yokune Ruko's female voice sounds... not good????? if you put Yokune Ruko's male voice into a higher pitch it would sound better than the Female VB but no offense to anyone who likes her.

HanatheNeko

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
i feel that people who say that utau is "too difficult to use" have never even TRIED to use the program, because on a lot of videos about utau and vocaloid, i'm always seeing:
-It's too difficult!
-Vocaloid is sooooo much better!
- UTAU isn't even that popular anymore!
-Ha, it sound like you used waaaay too much autotune!

and i'm just sitting here wondering why most people who are new to this, are being so stupid.
-UTAU can be popular, because it has more freedoms than vocaloid.
-It's only difficult to use if you just started learning, same with vocaloid.
-yeah, it sounds like it has autotune, because it's a VOICE SYNTHESIS PROGRAM.
-stop saying vocaloid is better, because both are equal in terms of first using the programs.

and that's the end of me complaining about people who say s*** because it's funny to them, or they don't know what a voice synth is.

Reactions: Kazumimi

ammamanagucci

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
- moresampler otos arent that bad honestly, i use moresampler to oto my utau and she turns out just fine with rarely any errors
- sometimes the community can be kinda,,,, blegh?? idk, i've had friends experience the worse in the community just bc they had a cv utau and a shit mic
- realistic utaus are overrated, i love utau bc it sounds different and unique
- czsampa kinda stinks. no offence, i love the concept of vccv but i just hate how the reclist is
- arpasing also kinda sucks and its nothing to be hyped about (i fell into the hype back in the day but i never use arpasing now lmfao)
- multipitch utaus are also kinda blegh. i dont mind monopitch and it's just easier to use
- utau is better than vocaloid and probably any other synth period.
- utau is dying
- momo is horribly underrated, even more so than defoko
- i dont care about tuning generally
- utau should be treated more like an instrument and the personality of the bank doesn't matter
- utau is also better than deepvocal

Reactions: Utaeru

neettuki

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
i didnt mean to offend people orz it was some thought I have, dont take it personally bcs Im just a newbie at UTAU to begin with
- tuning should go with the song of your choice otherwise it will sound odd and out of place.
- some utau cant sing every song you want so, reading preferable genres is important orz
- if your ust have vibratos premade remove them???? because it sometimes doesnt suit your utau and makes them sound either scared or shaky.
- learning oremo and setparam is important
- autopitch writer helps to learn tuning
- people are making a lot of pitches at a very short amount of time is very concerning, I find multipitch not necessary myself but at least care for you voice don't strain it orz
- no matter how hard or time consuming and rushed it is pay attention to your reclist, if it says 2 a "aaiauea" dont just read one, please.
- you dont have to record all of the consonant, all is crucial until you reach v, the rest can be swapped with similar sounding samples. It helps your voice to be more compact and not cluttered with samples you'd never use.
- pick reclist not only to your comfort but also one that can advance you in the progress, that saves you time.
- if you're not happy making utau because they dont get as much attention then something need to change in your mindset, if it doesnt make you happy why do it :'

DannyDA

Teto's Territory
My opinions on this (maybe some of my opinions might triggered some people so sorry this is just my opinions):
- UTAU actually better than Vocaloid. This is already mentioned in previous replies but still, yes. UTAU is much easier in terms of tuning since we can edit pitch bend easily compared to Vocaloid. Another thing, you can easily manipulate the pronouncation of English UTAU. UTAU works based on typing phonemes to produce sound. With this, we can know what phonemes are there and how they sounded like.
- I honestly preferred CV than VCV, especially CV + VV. CV is easier in terms of making voicebank and otoing. Besides, CV is much flexible when it comes to consonant velocity. CV is very easy to use when working on songs with fast bpm in my opinion.
- Realistic tuning and realistic voicebank is kinda cool for me. The only purpose on these two are actually to promote UTAU more. Since this Vocal synth is not too famous in my country, I think realistic voicebank and tuning is one of the strategy to promote UTAU, I guess??
- I prefer tripitch or bipitch than multipitch.
- Name UTAU characters with other language rather than Japanese. It's much unique and makes your voicebank much appealing (design is very important too)
- Do not say that UTAU is HARD TO USE! You need to practice using it rather than complaining bout it. You know, using vocaloid is hard too, but still you use it.

YumeChan

Momo's Minion
Hmm I'm not using UTAU for TOO long yet, but I did follow its work and the voicebanks for a while now and do have my opinions on some aspects too.
-Honestly CV can sound so good?? I know some people say it's choppy and not fluent, but... I kinda even like that part about it. It just reminds me of good old vocaloid work. In some ways it can even sound professional to me.
-I don't find Ritsu that special (sorryyyy really no offense to anyone who likes Ritsu!) I've downloaded the voicebank some weeks ago and listened to some of its songs, but eh, somehow it doesn't really hit me.
-I kinda like nasal voices. I feel like especially in quiet or slow songs they can come really cute and sound very soothing.
-Not really sure if this is an unpopular opinion, but I don't think you need to be a good singer to make a good UTAU. In fact, I actually think that UTAU is great for people who usually can't sing, but really want to hear their voice sounding good. UTAU makes a singer out of everyone!

Kazumimi

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
-I don't find Ritsu that special (sorryyyy really no offense to anyone who likes Ritsu!) I've downloaded the voicebank some weeks ago and listened to some of its songs, but eh, somehow it doesn't really hit me.
-I kinda like nasal voices. I feel like especially in quiet or slow songs they can come really cute and sound very soothing.
I strongly agree with both of these!! Although I like Ritsu, I don't really get the hype.

--------
More unpopular opinions (unrelated to quoted post):

I don't care if someone says an UTAU sounds like X or a cross between X and Y. If anything, it adds more interest to that synth, especially if it sounds similar to a synth that one already likes. It also gives good ideas for duet partners.

I don't care for human-sounding or hyper-realistic UTAU. Robotic and/or simplistic is more than okay with me as long as it doesn't take away too much from the voice.

dezzydream

cv bank enthusiast
Defender of Defoko
-Honestly CV can sound so good?? I know some people say it's choppy and not fluent, but... I kinda even like that part about it. It just reminds me of good old vocaloid work. In some ways it can even sound professional to me.
all of my utau are cv and will likely stay that way because i know how to use it well and i really like how they sound.

Aurum79

Teto's Territory
Matsudappoiyo isn't that great. He's hard to tune and has more engine noise than even Teto and Tei.
lol I love Matsu but always thought he sounds like he sings through his teeth.

Here's mine:
  • I like Ritsu but I don't like the way Canon sings in that way only Japanese singers tend to. I also just cannot describe her voice, it's really unusual.
  • I don't know whether or not I like UTAUs who name their appends really random things, it flip flops between memorable and hard to organize. Like I've just chosen a random UTAU page from the wiki and their appends are "white", "white-ish green", "cherry blossom", "madder", "wisteria" ???
  • Macne Nana S2 was a mistake :^)
  • The old UTAU wiki declaring that nobody else could use "Makune" (because Hachi claimed it) was stupid, this sort of thinking basically relies on peer pressure to stop people using the same names just because "someone did it first" when, in this case, Makune was already a parody of a trademarked character. That was one among a whole list of "forbidden" names which reeked of this DO NOT STEAL attitude.
  • There should be more effort to teach people straight up IPA while we're at it for those people like me who are into crazy accuracy. When I see those examples that explain it like "the 'o' in not" I think it's just going to introduce little inaccuracies that IPA would have had written out, because "the 'o' in not" sound differs between regions even within my own country. Getting to grips with an IPA chart might even help people reduce their accents in another language because it tells you exactly how to shape your mouth which you don't usually think about.
  • I want more troll UTAUs, they're funny.
  • People are trying too hard to be original with things that overshadow the voice, which is ultimately should be the most important. That being said, I only click on pretty thumbnails like most people. Maybe there should be a thing where hovering over clips plays a preview of the sound too.
  • Ruko's newer female voice when she became VCV sounds weird to me.
  • Ameya really needs to stop using Defoko to showcase his developments with doppeltler, do I really need to say why?

Sheanna122

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
OTO things I strongly dislike:
  • When people make up values.
  • People OTO without looping in mind. Like, Just go to Setparam, go to options>test synthesis settings>put in young3 (a resampler that's a redo of TN_FNDS) >use WM flags>set the pitch of the bank, hit F10 and adjust accordingly.
  • Doppler does not sound pleasant.

Reactions: HulderBulder

Kazumimi

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
  • There should be more effort to teach people straight up IPA while we're at it for those people like me who are into crazy accuracy. When I see those examples that explain it like "the 'o' in not" I think it's just going to introduce little inaccuracies that IPA would have had written out, because "the 'o' in not" sound differs between regions even within my own country. Getting to grips with an IPA chart might even help people reduce their accents in another language because it tells you exactly how to shape your mouth which you don't usually think about.
  • I want more troll UTAU, they're funny.
I would love it if people would do things IPA style, especially in English reclists!

Also, more troll UTAU? Yes, please. Doesn't have to be made by VIP2ch, just make it funny. I love the Vippaloids because most of them make little to no sense (like Ritsu somehow being a six year old still makes me wanna laugh).