How much has your UTAU changed over the years?

mattzelo6

Teto's Territory
I thought it would be fun to post the comparisons of how their utau used to sound and look like, to how they are now.

My eldest UTAU, Saki Kurosawa was once known as Suki Urufu, and then renamed to Suki Tsukino.

Suki Urufu demo + design

I've gotten rid of most of the existence of Suki Tsukino, but here is what Saki Kurosawa sounds like. And here is her design. Gosh, so much as changed.

Terindie

日本語 Patrol - Active Duty
Defender of Defoko
Oh, lord, I don't even know where to start.

The only UTAU I have released is Flint, and man did he have a rough start. Being only 11 when I started using UTAU and VOCALOID, I had an awful mic and even awful knowledge of like, anything. He used to be called Flint Hawkiko (???) and man, I don't have any record of his original outfit, but it was bad. Perhaps I'll redraw it sometime.
I have an old-ish design of his, though,
Code:
<A href="http://terindie.deviantart.com/art/Flint-Hawkiko-Reference-305968748">right here.</A>
Here's his ACT1 voice,
Code:
<A href="http://youtu.be/pEixsivhhrI">brace your mimi.</A>

Now he's gotten a
Code:
<A href="http://terindie.deviantart.com/art/UTAU-DY1-FLINT-Reference-429330856">makeover</A>
, and a
Code:
<A href="http://youtu.be/pvlsybSwk40">VCV powerscale</A>
in the works. I'm slowly but surely pulling him back from the "awful UTAU ghetto".

heta-tan

Genderless Goon
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
My first UTAU (Mayu) was first made when I was 14. So this a little more than two years ago.
Here's her Act 1 demo+design
Then I got a new mic a week later which really didn't improve her too much. Act 2
She was like this for a few months until I bought a new mic for Christmas. Her Act 3/Soft Append were made when I was sick for some reason. And Act 4 was kind of rushed. Then I figured how to make multi-folder voicebanks which led to her Finale bank and later her Galactic VCV which is her most recent bank.
Her design also became more mature as time pasted.

Reactions: samth1815

moonst4r

Witch of the Night
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I guess a lot has changed about my UTAU's design and voice.

For Mimi's design, her first design was a simple shirt, vest, and skirt combo that was simplistic because I couldn't draw and didn't have friends who could help. One of her current designs now has more character to it and more elegant. One of my friends and I designed it because it was a special outfit for her new voicebank at the time. I still like her first design and sometimes like to look back on it.

As for her voice, she started out as a CV voicebank and her otos were decent, but my CV otoing nowadays is much better than that. As for what she's like now, she has a tripitch VCV bank and even an English bank. When I first started out, I thought VCV was too difficult to make/use and English was out of the question. Over time I learned how to do both little by little and it amazes me to this day how far I've gone.

Reactions: RollieRyttle

Info-Chan

SELENA Developer
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
MY FRICKING GOSH I HAVE A TON TO SAY! (lol)

Amaicho first started as just some fan vocaloid with a design like Miku's and no voice because I didn't know about UTAU. So then I found out about UTAU then made a vb scrapped it then made another scrapped it. Then I gave her a new design and a new vb then scrapped it and I never released any of the vbs' that I scrapped. Now I made her a new design and made her a vb that is going to be released September 5 2014 and then I gave her a new design. EDIT: She also has gotten pretty popular on VO and will receive two appends, a VCV version of all of her voicebanks. She also is getting an English voicebank and a Chinese voicebank (I just decided to release that info to the public.)

Tobutori at first I just gave him a design that was basically Mikuo with different colors and different bangs and Tobutori's old design used to be Yellow and Green. Now after months I gave him a new design and he now has a voice which is released the same day as Amaicho. EDIT: He also is getting the same appends and voicebanks as Amaicho but he will also have a french voicebank. (I think.)

BTW AMAICHO AND TOBUTORI ARE TWINS!

Last edited:

mattzelo6

Teto's Territory
Oh, lord, I don't even know where to start.

The only UTAU I have released is Flint, and man did he have a rough start. Being only 11 when I started using UTAU and VOCALOID, I had an awful mic and even awful knowledge of like, anything. He used to be called Flint Hawkiko (???) and man, I don't have any record of his original outfit, but it was bad. Perhaps I'll redraw it sometime.
I have an old-ish design of his, though,
Code:
<A href="http://terindie.deviantart.com/art/Flint-Hawkiko-Reference-305968748">right here.</A>
Here's his ACT1 voice,
Code:
<A href="http://youtu.be/pEixsivhhrI">brace your mimi.</A>

Now he's gotten a
Code:
<A href="http://terindie.deviantart.com/art/UTAU-DY1-FLINT-Reference-429330856">makeover</A>
, and a
Code:
<A href="http://youtu.be/pvlsybSwk40">VCV powerscale</A>
in the works. I'm slowly but surely pulling him back from the "awful UTAU ghetto".

HOLY CRAP! You've improved so much! Great job.

My first UTAU (Mayu) was first made when I was 14. So this a little more than two years ago.
Here's her Act 1 demo+design
Then I got a new mic a week later which really didn't improve her too much. Act 2
She was like this for a few months until I bought a new mic for Christmas. Her Act 3/Soft Append were made when I was sick for some reason. And Act 4 was kind of rushed. Then I figured how to make multi-folder voicebanks which led to her Finale bank and later her Galactic VCV which is her most recent bank.
Her design also became more mature as time pasted.

Great job! You've improved a lot.

For Mimi's design, her first design was a simple shirt, vest, and skirt combo that was simplistic because I couldn't draw and didn't have friends who could help. One of her current designs now has more character to it and more elegant. One of my friends and I designed it because it was a special outfit for her new voicebank at the time. I still like her first design and sometimes like to look back on it.

As for her voice, she started out as a CV voicebank and her otos were decent, but my CV otoing nowadays is much better than that. As for what she's like now, she has a tripitch VCV bank and even an English bank. When I first started out, I thought VCV was too difficult to make/use and English was out of the question. Over time I learned how to do both little by little and it amazes me to this day how far I've gone.

Good job! Her tripitch vcv sounds so amazing omg.

MY FRICKING GOSH I HAVE A TON TO SAY! (lol)

Amaicho first started as just some fan vocaloid with a design like Miku's and no voice because I didn't know about UTAU. So then I found out about UTAU then made a vb scrapped it then made another scrapped it. Then I gave her a new design and a new vb then scrapped it and I never released any of the vbs' that I scrapped. Now I made her a new design and made her a vb that is going to be released September 5 2014 and then I gave her a new design. EDIT: She also has gotten pretty popular on VO and will receive two appends, a VCV version of all of her voicebanks. She also is getting an English voicebank and a Chinese voicebank (I just decided to release that info to the public.)

Tobutori at first I just gave him a design that was basically Mikuo with different colors and different bangs and Tobutori's old design used to be Yellow and Green. Now after months I gave him a new design and he now has a voice which is released the same day as Amaicho. EDIT: He also is getting the same appends and voicebanks as Amaicho but he will also have a french voicebank. (I think.)

BTW AMAICHO AND TOBUTORI ARE TWINS!

Cool! It's awesome that you've came this far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terindie

日本語 Patrol - Active Duty
Defender of Defoko

I gotta admit, watching Mimi grow over the years has totally warmed my heart because I've watched her grow up. Her tripitch manages to blow me away every time I use it.

Also, thank you, mattzelo! It's the constant climb up.

Reactions: moonst4r

moonst4r

Witch of the Night
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I gotta admit, watching Mimi grow over the years has totally warmed my heart because I've watched her grow up. Her tripitch manages to blow me away every time I use it.

Also, thank you, mattzelo! It's the constant climb up.

Thank you so much, you don't know how happy it makes me to hear you say that ;;w;;

Ghostysenpai

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
It all started back in 2011, I wasn't really all that old then I was just 11 turning 12 and my friend told me about this program and I guess thats how Kurai was born. I made the voice and design and my friend otoed her. Kurai's first design was cryptonesque but not too bad, her voice however was another story since I recorded her on my built-in mic on my laptop. I was so proud over her however and I released her in december the same year.

2012 I didn't really do much with utau, and I kind of forgot about my lovely voicechild.

In 2013 however, I came back to utau, becuse I got a new computer for christmas the previous year, and gave her a new voicebank, act 2.2 as I called it, not much happened on the design front though. Two months later in march I released her act 3, still no modifications on the design. Along came June, and Kurai 3 pitch vcv was released as well as her new design, which has been lost. In december, I released her 5 pitch vcv called 2014, with a new design aswell. In february this year I made her 8 pitch vcv called MONARCH, the design for MONARCH has been lost aswell.

wow this is a wall of text I'm sorry OTL

Mako

"it"
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Ohh boy, I think the first ever VB I made was like... 2-3 years ago? I don't have a sample of it, but it was at the time when I was still VERY shy and didn't even hit puberty yet, so it was this cutesy whisper bank. Sadly I lost the bank when I got a new computer, but eh, it's better that way. xD

After about a year, I decided that "gee, I should make a new VB, cause I wanna make it sound good >:3" so I made Taji Inokuma, my first "known" VB which I do have a sample of over here. At the time though I didn't have an avatar for him because I didn't know how to draw (that well). That bank sounded a lot more mature and powerful (even though I forced myself to sound that way) but didn't have any other pitches and the oto sucked.

Then UTAU stopped working and I got to a stop in improving Taji. It just refused to play any sounds and I didn't know what to do at the time, so I decided to just leave it be, making UTAU sit in the corner of the desktop for like another year.

After said year, I had this brilliant idea to try and download another sound driver, which I obviously couldn't do, so I had to stick with Razer Surround, which surprisingly let me use UTAU normally again. I played around with Taji for a while before I got the motivation to make what we know today as Tori Yugana. Production was slow because I was still too shy to record (everyone in the house could hear if I started to shout into the mic xD) so I had to record when nobody was home. This of course took a long time, but after finally recording Tori's ACT1 CV, I felt pride. Because of this, I wanted to try new ways to oto, new ways to mix and new stuff altogether. Then finally, about 6 months ago, Tori was released. :3 (Sample)

Nobody seemed to notice anyway, so (I don't remember what I did, I guess I put stuff on Soundcloud and then this happened. xD) and I got less and less shy and actually more and more confident in myself, so I decided to try and make Tori's VCV bank, which I tried to make him sound a bit more mature. Of course then the whole breakdown happened, me releasing the incomplete version to the internet and letting the VCV bank sit in the corner for a while before I started to work on it again. (Sample)

Oops, this just turned into a story about how I made them instead of how different they sound to each other, so tl;dr First VB was a cutesy whisper bank, Taji Inokuma was a more mature and powerful sounding bank but had terrible oto, Tori ACT1 got 2 more pitches and got more power and Tori VCV is still in the making and sounds a bit more mature than Tori's CV bank at the cost of less power. xD

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I only started utau last year, so I don't have a wall of text, but...

ACT 1:
- Single Pitch CV
- Built in Computer mic
- Not so great pronunciation and what is TIPS/vs4u/etc.?

ACT 2:
- 3 Pitch CV
- Same mic
- Better pronunciation

ACT 3:
- 5 Pitch CV
- Same mic
- More pitches for transitional purposes (though I don't think they made much of a difference)

CODE J04K01:
- Single Pitch CVVC
- Korean added to her language capabilities
- ATR 1100 Unidirectional mic

_____

Other than ACT 1, her design hasn't really deviated much beyond the combined modern/traditional look.

Reactions: Terindie

Terindie

日本語 Patrol - Active Duty
Defender of Defoko
Love seeing the jump from CV to 200-pitch CVVC quadlanguage powerscales with everyone. Your beginning UTAU self probably NEVER expected to be doing all this work, but oh man that payoff.

aplusod

Teto's Territory
I started with Shizu in January 2010 who had a godawful design and a super nasally/bad accented voice (link). Four or five months in, I changed her design to something only slightly better and switched her voicebank (voice sample) (design). That was back in 2010 and I haven't really changed her core voicebank since (though I've had add-ons and alternate voice material released, and re-recorded a lot of VCV, other languages, etc that I still haven't gotten around to finishing otoing. Plus I'm sure my voice sounds a bit different from when I actually recorded them, so rerecording bad samples might not work too well orz).
There were like five variations of her design I tried using until I redesigned her again in 2012/2013, and gave her a few alternate designs in the process. Also helps that I improved at drawing too ehehe;;
(2012/13 design) (Paradoxical form) (2014 alternate design)

Aroku's also had relatively few changes over the years. She came about in the second half of 2010 (link). I updated her VB once (link). She's also had only a few minor changes to her design (most recent).

Pianoloid was from April 2010 (around then?) and I haven't fixed its oto since then (oops). I got rid of the really bad personification I had going for it, though. Decided it worked better as just a designless UTAU thing.
Dog hasn't changed because it never had a design, and as that one was the most recent, I haven't had to fix anything. I don't use Pianoloid or Dog a whole lot, so I never really feel the need to change them. Here's a sample of the two.

IrisFlower

Precious Flower with Thorns
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I started out with Iris in early 2011. She was remade from my very first UTAU who was called Murasaki Yorune whom I do not have any videos of thankfully ;; My first vid with Iris was this Toeto cover(sweet Mary and Joseph the things wrong with that video...)

Later on in the year I had an Act 2 with her that I honestly didn't do much with tbh but it had its uses.

In 2012 was when I came up with her Act 3 and actually working more to tune her so not only had Iris changed but her Master was starting to be a bit more competent lol

2013 consisted of me making her English bank which finally came to fruition by that December. And I find it's more enjoyable to use sometimes haha

And you can tell my tuning and art(Loucetios vs Toeto ;; ) has gotten better, right? So Iris isn't the only one that's changed ouo Kinda why I emphasize to people to not give up with this stuff cause you can aaallllways improve.

sabisuki

Momo's Minion
Oh god, looking back at Junko is almost painful. Her name used to be Junko Maeda, which if you know anything about Dangan Ronpa, is an absolutely terrible name. 2011 me, what the hell were you doing?

Her first ever demo from... February 2011. I was literally 12. No OTO, no quality control, recorded with a terrible mic, it's so bad... I pretty much scrapped her after making this and didn't look back until 2014.

She had a short-lived ACT1 Voicebank recorded with my laptop mic in... late 2013, that I'm eventually going to post a cover for somewhere, I'll probably edit this post when I do, but honestly it's nothing worth seeing considering the quality is balls.

ACT2

Her current revision, which is like.... at least a million times better. Recorded with a pretty good mic and OTO'd decently, and I finally learned to EQ my damn vocals. Also has a KARUI append in development, designed to sound like her 2011 demo, but it's in development hell because of .frq issues.

REMEMBER KIDS: NEVER GIVE UP!

This whole thread is so inspirational, omg.

Dark

Teto's Territory
QuQ This thread really is inspirational. It's also helpful in gauging your own improvement for those who haven't really looked back to see how far they've come. xD; I know I sometimes feel like I'm going nowhere fast with utau, but threads like this help.

Ugh. This was my utau's first voice bank. I literally discovered Vocaloid/Utau a few days prior to recording him, and jumped right in without really focusing on making good samples. :sing: Not to mention he was recorded with my desktop's built in microphone and there was a fan next to me adding in some noise. Plus, what pronunciation?

He's had a major design change as of late, but his current voice is definitely an improvement over his original one. xD; I've tried maturing him a bit with some (fail) voice acting, and my OTOing has improved slightly. I've also finally decided to work on his vcv and stop focusing so much on cv for the time being.

Reactions: nirereru