Awaclus

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Congrats on publishing your first original song! It takes a ton of courage to actually release something you've produced, and by virtue of having done so, you have already gotten further than most people ever will.

I think the two main areas that you could focus on for the time being are sound design and arrangement.

As far as sound design is concerned:

You're using FL Studio, which comes with some super powerful synthesizers such as Sytrus and Harmor, but it doesn't have any good realistic sounding virtual instruments. You can get good realistic sounding virtual instruments as 3rd party plugins (some even for free), you can learn how to record musicians, or you can embrace what you already have and make electronic music with some really neat synth sounds in it. If you choose to do the latter, I recommend checking out SeamlessR's channel on YouTube since he uses mostly the stock FL stuff and he explains things in a lot of detail so there's a lot that you can learn from his videos.

Either way, I recommend using as few presets and samples as you can, because when people listen to your music and recognize a preset or a sample that they've already heard many times before, it makes the experience of listening to your music a lot less magical. It is especially a bad idea to use the drum samples that are already loaded in the basic project template in FL Studio, because anyone who ever used FL is extremely familiar with how those sound. You might have to use drum samples to an extent because of how much easier it is to get a good sound using samples rather than synthesizing your own drum sounds, but in that case, it's a good idea to combine a bunch of different samples to design your own sound out of those samples and/or search for more samples online.

As far as arrangement is concerned, I think it would greatly benefit the song if you created more contrast between the different parts of the song. I can't explain what I mean super well, so I'll just demonstrate what I would do: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/lh9femlehzlupez/asdfasdf.wav?dl=0

Not saying you have to do it exactly like that, and obviously since I made it super quickly, it's not a great production overall; it's just to demonstrate how you can create a bit more drama in the song by introducing more contrast between the different parts of the song, which I did by making the main hook bigger by putting a lot more stuff in there.

Songwriting-wise, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the song, it sounds great. It doesn't sound super unique, but I think you'll naturally learn to discover your own style a lot more as you write more music.

Good luck on your journey to become a music producer!

Reactions: Kiyoteru

UtaJoule

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Congrats on publishing your first original song! It takes a ton of courage to actually release something you've produced, and by virtue of having done so, you have already gotten further than most people ever will.

I think the two main areas that you could focus on for the time being are sound design and arrangement.

You're using FL Studio, which comes with some super powerful synthesizers such as Sytrus and Harmor, but it doesn't have any good realistic sounding virtual instruments. You can get good realistic sounding virtual instruments as 3rd party plugins (some even for free), you can learn how to record musicians, or you can embrace what you already have and make electronic music with some really neat synth sounds in it. If you choose to do the latter, I recommend checking out SeamlessR's channel on YouTube since he uses mostly the stock FL stuff and he explains things in a lot of detail so there's a lot that you can learn from his videos.

Either way, I recommend using as few presets and samples as you can, because when people listen to your music and recognize a preset or a sample that they've already heard many times before, it makes the experience of listening to your music a lot less magical. It is especially a bad idea to use the drum samples that are already loaded in the basic project template in FL Studio, because anyone who ever used FL is extremely familiar with how those sound. You might have to use drum samples to an extent because of how much easier it is to get a good sound using samples rather than synthesizing your own drum sounds, but in that case, it's a good idea to combine a bunch of different samples to design your own sound out of those samples and/or search for more samples online.

As far as arrangement is concerned, I think it would greatly benefit the song if you created more contrast between the different parts of the song. I can't explain what I mean super well, so I'll just demonstrate what I would do: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/lh9femlehzlupez/asdfasdf.wav?dl=0

Not saying you have to do it exactly like that, and obviously since I made it super quickly, it's not a great production overall; it's just to demonstrate how you can create a bit more drama in the song by introducing more contrast between the different parts of the song, which I did by making the main hook bigger by putting a lot more stuff in there.

Songwriting-wise, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the song, it sounds great. It doesn't sound super unique, but I think you'll naturally learn to discover your own style a lot more as you write more music.

Thank you so much for all this feedback! It's great to have someone who knows a lot more than me to kind of teach me what and what not to do, as well as giving your own opinion on stuff.

I didn't use any preset samples or patterns btw, I was just playing around until I was like "that sounds cool" and boop, made a song. Hehe.

And I understand the song is a bit boring but I'll get better with time and practice.

The lyrics were sort of based on a recent event in my life but yeah, I can see why they're a bit bland. Typical relationship drama if you ask me.

But again!! Thankyouthankyouthankyou for the feedback. I really needed that.

Awaclus

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
The lyrics were sort of based on a recent event in my life but yeah, I can see why they're a bit bland. Typical relationship drama if you ask me.

I was only talking about the purely musical aspects of the song, I actually didn't even read the lyrics.

UtaJoule

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko

Thank you so much for all this feedback! It's great to have someone who knows a lot more than me to kind of teach me what and what not to do, as well as giving your own opinion on stuff.

I didn't use any preset samples or patterns btw, I was just playing around until I was like "that sounds cool" and boop, made a song. Hehe.

And I understand the song is a bit boring but I'll get better with time and practice.

But again@
I was only talking about the purely musical aspects of the song, I actually didn't even read the lyrics.

Whoops.