My Voice Goes Higher While I'm Recording??

PrinceofHades

A wandering soul
Defender of Defoko
OK, so I've finally started on the VCV journey. After almost 2 years. OTL I've done a few "practice" VCVs, to get me accustomed to the recording style. But while recording the actual bank I was going to use as the VCV... I discovered a weird problem. I looked back, and found the same problem in my practice VCVs.
For some reason, while I was recording, my voice kept going higher and higher. I don't mean during a sample, I mean throughout the whole bank. The last sample I recorded was much, much higher than the first sample I recorded. The first sample was probably around B3, but that last one was probably close to C4. o_O
Now, I'm 99% sure that the issue is me, and that I'm gradually recording samples higher and higher without realizing it. How can I make sure that I stick to the same (or at least, similar) pitches during recording?

Ronnie <UniverseJuice>

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Oremo has this option where you can have a constant tone playing while you record. You can set the tone to be whatever pitch you want to record at, and then match the pitch as you record. It can get a little annoying but it helps wonders. I believe it is the second button in the menu, and then the second to last option from the hover box. (I don't have english oremo sorry if that wasn't helpful)

PrinceofHades

A wandering soul
Defender of Defoko
Oremo has this option where you can have a constant tone playing while you record. You can set the tone to be whatever pitch you want to record at, and then match the pitch as you record. It can get a little annoying but it helps wonders. I believe it is the second button in the menu, and then the second to last option from the hover box. (I don't have english oremo sorry if that wasn't helpful)

Ah, I didn't know Oremo had that feature. That's nifty. Yep, that's where it is. (It's called "Show Pitch Guide" in mine.) Thank you very much! I believe this will (hopefully) solve the problem. :smile:

Reactions: riptunes

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
It could also be a combination of...
- Lack of confidence (people tend to go sharp/flat when they're unsure - considering this is your first public distribution of a VCV bank, it's understandable if you're nervous about doing it well and that translates to pitch issues)
- The pitch is too low for you OR your chest voice isn't well developed for the target pitch you want.
- You could just be having a bad day getting the pitch you want. It happens.

I find that for me, singing at a certain time in the day helps me with notes that may be on the low side (like, in the morning, I might be able to hit G3 or F3). Staying hydrated helps in keeping pitch, so I would keep warm water and herbal tea (no caffeine) around while recording if I were you.

PrinceofHades

A wandering soul
Defender of Defoko
It could also be a combination of...
- Lack of confidence (people tend to go sharp/flat when they're unsure - considering this is your first public distribution of a VCV bank, it's understandable if you're nervous about doing it well and that translates to pitch issues)
- The pitch is too low for you OR your chest voice isn't well developed for the target pitch you want.
- You could just be having a bad day getting the pitch you want. It happens.

I find that for me, singing at a certain time in the day helps me with notes that may be on the low side (like, in the morning, I might be able to hit G3 or F3). Staying hydrated helps in keeping pitch, so I would keep warm water and herbal tea (no caffeine) around while recording if I were you.

You know, that's a good point. I am naturally a nervous person, so that would make sense.
I'm fairly certain the pitch isn't too low for me, (alto/contralto power! //shot) but I could be wrong about that. I'm... not good at singing, and the differences between chest voice and other voices can be pretty elusive for me, so this is also a possibility.
I don't think it was just a bad day for pitches, since this happens every time I try to record a VCV. OTL I could be wrong about that, though. I may just always pick the worst day for the pitch I want. (That does sound like something I would do. XD)

Thank you very much for the suggestions! I usually do keep water with me while recording, but I'll try the herbal tea in addition. :smile:

PrinceofHades

A wandering soul
Defender of Defoko
In case anyone was wondering, I have successfully made a VCV without the climbing-pitch problem.
OREMO's Pitch Guide was enormously helpful, as was the suggestion of herbal tea.
Thank you very much for the assistance! :D