why do people discontinue their UTAU?

PanTran

Ritsu's Rocket
Defender of Defoko
When people remove their UTAU from the internet, delete all the downloads, and take down all the covers they made... why? I want to understand, but I can't. Even if they are done with the community/UTAU, surely there's no harm in simply leaving that stuff up for people? For example, Matsudappoiyo was deleted from the internet, yet he was extremely popular. It seems kind of mean and confusing why they would just delete everything? Can someone please explain?

PanTran

Ritsu's Rocket
Defender of Defoko
ah, I understand regarding legal issues or backlash. But I guess I'm the sort of person who likes to leave memories/backups/evidence of the things I've done, so I can look at them and/or always have it if I ever want to return. But not everyone feels that way I guess. If I was to try to understand the people who delete them for personal reasons, is it kind of like deleting your old art because it's old and don't want people associating it with you anymore? I could understand that.

but yeah, regardless of whether my autistic self can understand peoples reasons, it's important to respect the author's intents obviously~

Nohkara

Pronouns: He/him
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I think that it depends on individual and their situation to decide to discontinue their UTAU.

One of very common reason why people stop is because they’re no longer interested in UTAU and not part of UTAU community anymore.

It’s natural that when people grow up, their interests and hobbies chainges and this applies to UTAU. Some people stick long, some very short time with UTAU.

Other reasons what I think is that because their UTAU is “bad”, they fill that it must be deleted just like how artists often like to delete their really old ugly works.

Maybe, if someone in the community has got harassed/bullied badly, that might also lead to make their discontinnue their UTAU because their fear of someone doing/posting something very hurtful by using their voicebank.

I think that after all, there is as many reasons as people exits but these are top 3 from the top that I can think of why some people discontinued their UTAU.

lunari162

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
All of the reasons that have already been stated are true. I can only think of one more: the UTAU is going to be replaced by another one, like a "successor" of sorts.

(Since you mentioned Matsudappoiyo, though... his voicebanks are available again. I'm not sure if you know this already, but it can't hurt to mention it.)