New Digital Diva - SELENA

IrisFlower

Precious Flower with Thorns
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
That singing sample sounds pretty cool~!! Was it ever stated what language Selena will be in?? I don't know if I missed that somewhere or not...

Also one last thing, is there anyway to make the font on the news page a little more....presentable? My problem is that it looks like a bunch of headlines with no content underneath them so it just doesn't...it seems odd is the best way to put it xD Just a little something to help make your site look better.

bio

VocalSynth Enthusiast
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
That singing sample sounds pretty cool~!! Was it ever stated what language Selena will be in?? I don't know if I missed that somewhere or not...
It was, She will sing in english and (maybe)japanese

cubialpha

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
So what exactly do you want to hear for the contest recordings? Sample singing? Speaking? A piece of a song?

I'm pretty intrigued by the project! :smile:

Reactions: bio

bio

VocalSynth Enthusiast
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
So what exactly do you want to hear for the contest recordings? Sample singing? Speaking? A piece of a song?

I'm pretty intrigued by the project! :smile:
Im pretty sure they want a singing sample
SELENA's voice provider will be selected through a contest. Submit your entry to soundcloud with the tag, "SELENAISME" and the track that gets the most favorites will win.

Rules

1. Do not submit multiple entries or they will be ignored.

2. If you are caught voting for yourself your entry will be ignored.

3. We will not tolerate auto tune in an entry. We want you to use a raw sample of your voice.

4. If you do not want to voice SELENA please do not submit an entry.
5. If you win and do not want to voice her it will go to the runner up.
DEADLINE IS SEPTEMBER 30th, 2015

Im very hype about SELENA

cubialpha

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I guess I'd feel more comfortable with something they gave me to sing, instead of picking something myself... I dunno what I'd use :s

IrisFlower

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Thanks, bio~ I figured I just missed it I'm awful at looking for things.

I wonder if SELENA will get any song demos once she's ready and what they'd be. Maybe the team could call on some people to make her a song or two. I might even try it if the way I write music weren't so wacky + you are guaranteed to get a 2dark4you song out of me ;;

Info-Chan

SELENA Developer
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
For submissions you are able to sing, talk, or do both. The headlines will be edited, our site is still in beta and when done will have a .com domain. Yes SELENA is going to be an English voice and if she does well we will consider some additional banks or languages.

cubialpha

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I'm gonna try to submit my entry by next Wednesday or Thursday, when Finals week will be officially over. :smile:

Info-Chan

SELENA Developer
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
For people wondering about art, it'll be released when the winner of the contest is announced.

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I'm curious. Do you plan on porting Selena to the UTAU engine? Festival isn't really known and from what I've heard, it doesn't even have a gui editor? Many people who you aim to be your audience are used to a streamlined easy to recognize, and easy to navigate gui (UTAU, Vocaloid, Cevio, even NiaoNiao and Cadencii all have interfaces that while different are intuitive for a newcomer from another synth to pick up and use to some degree). If people have to go through manuals and other less than intuitive prerequisites to get Selena working, they may not even want to give her a second look.

I'm not familiar with how Festival/Flinger is set up, but I imagine it's not as simple as going to control panel and changing your system locale?

Info-Chan

SELENA Developer
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I'm curious. Do you plan on porting Selena to the UTAU engine? Festival isn't really known and from what I've heard, it doesn't even have a gui editor? Many people who you aim to be your audience are used to a streamlined easy to recognize, and easy to navigate gui (UTAU, Vocaloid, Cevio, even NiaoNiao and Cadencii all have interfaces that while different are intuitive for a newcomer from another synth to pick up and use to some degree). If people have to go through manuals and other less than intuitive prerequisites to get Selena working, they may not even want to give her a second look.

I'm not familiar with how Festival/Flinger is set up, but I imagine it's not as simple as going to control panel and changing your system locale?
No, we do not plan to port SELENA to the UTAU Engine. To your other question, yes Flinger has a GUI. It's similar to VOCALOID in terms of usage. Flinger is a plugin for Festival. (I was a bit confused at first.) If you want you are able to use .xml files in Festival, but with a MIDI and Flinger you can open the plugin and start using. (A MIDI isn't really needed though.)

samth1815

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Btw, I just wanted to point out that I was just trying to access her site, but it appears to be down. I'm just getting a blank white page.

Nvm, I just had the wrong link

Last edited:

Milk

i like bad things
Supporter
Defender of Defoko

ehh I disagree. programs like chipspeech, alter/ego, and aquestone aren't all that easy to use - and require a lot of tuning and tweaking to sound decent - but a lot of people still use them.
I think people are more concerned with the price tag and the vocal itself than how hard it is to get it to sing properly.

Reactions: Xepheris and bio

samth1815

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
ehh I disagree. programs like chipspeech, alter/ego, and aquestone aren't all that easy to use - and require a lot of tuning and tweaking to sound decent - but a lot of people still use them.
I think people are more concerned with the price tag and the vocal itself than how hard it is to get it to sing properly.

Well I think what Sayuri was getting at is "Is it easy to use the program itself"

Chipspeech voices are rather difficult to work with, but the interface itself is very self explanatory and easy to use. And, well, if Festival doesn't even have GUI, it'll be borderline impossible for the average user to make use of it.

Info-Chan

SELENA Developer
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Sorry for not being able to post faster, I was gone today at a doctor's appointment. Festival has a GUI that is VERY simple to use. A few pages back I said that we are going to make tutorials/will make tutorials when SELENA is released.

IrisFlower

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
It looks like there's a GUI but it also seems to be a third-party add on?? So, we'll have to download Festival, Flinger and this GUI in order to use Selena? Because if so, that's a bit cumbersome compared to what we're used to imo ;; Is this even true? Like correct me if I'm wrong.

Do you have Festival on your computer now? Is there anyway you could just show us what it looks like and such with some screenshots? I'm not 100% sure about what Google is telling/showing me and I honestly am not one to download a program just to see what it looks like xD